PRU pink

jaw

Good morning,

I want to make a recce Spit 9 as operated by 16 Sqdn post D Day which were painted in PRU Pink. How pink is PRU pink? Is it nearly white with a touch of pink - or much pinker? What paint/paint mix should I use?

Thanks,

John

My impression, (opinion) is a dusty, light pink. I was able get what looked right by taking a fresh tin of Humbrol 34 (white) and adding 2 drops of Humbrol 60 (Scarlett) and 4 drops Humbrol 40 (pale Grey). Noticeably pink when next to white but barely pink by itself.

Tim

Off-white; there's a sample in the National Archives, and, in order to see that it is pink, it was necessary to lay it on a sheet of white paper. I've had it matched, but it's pointless putting it on here, since you wouldn't see it.

Before anyone says that it will have faded, in all the ensuing years, in the same envelope (kept in a folder, in a file, in a darkened room,) there's a sample of P.R.U. blue, and it still matches the prescribed colour (tested by machine, not just eyesight.)

Edgar

I think it's rather a bit like a light slightly greyish peach color than a plain pink.

Wasn't it mixed from white with a few percents of wartime roundel red?

To my eye WT roundel red has a slight orange tinge, that results in the peach effect.

Edited by occa

Ahh Edgar - you mean like this.........

Hell's teeth, you should put a health warning, on that, before inviting us to look.

Wasn't i mixed from white with a few percents of wartime roundel red?

It had a 33B vocabulary reference, so would have been made to a Farnborough-issued shade card, and was probably produced (like P.R.U. Blue) by Titanine. Edited by Edgar
  • Like 5

My two-penn'orth: as per the rest of the posters, I would tend towards a very pale pink. When mixing go slowly and carefully adding red, because a little goes a long way. I think I had about a third of a tin of white and I added just a drop or two of red. Another poster has also mentioned adding some light grey. I'd strongly agree with this as it gives a slightly dirtier richer shade than just the pale pink. (The interesting background gives something to contrast with )

Anyway, to give an idea of what I ended up with, here's the pic of the finished article.

IMG_0046.jpg

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

If you don't fancy mixing your own, Hannants own Xtracolor do 'X34, RAF PRU Pink'.

I picked one up at a model show for my own Spitfire project. Takes the guess work out of it :pipe:

Good luck with your Spitfire.

If you don't fancy mixing your own, Hannants own Xtracolor do 'X34, RAF PRU Pink'.

If they haven't adjusted the formula (and I gave them a sample over a year ago,) it's too dark; same applies to White Ensign, who also make one.

Edgar

Edgar, yes you are probably right. These things are never that easy! It does look a tad too dark. I think it might be a good starting point, however. Adding a little white to it to lighten it maybe? I am only looking at the lid, but it does have that greyish 'tinge' to it, as mentioned previously. Adding red to white is tricky, you can very easily overdo it and end up with the afore-mentioned 'Barbie pink'!!

Edgar, you certainly know your paint! I recall an article (not to hand I'm afraid, about 2003) in 'The Aeroplane' about a restored and airworthy 'pink' Spitfire. They had gone to some lengths to get the shade correct. The colour photo's showed a fairly 'pink' (pink panther pink?) aircraft. Sadly I never saw the aircraft. Not sure what happened to her, or if she still retains that finish.

Do you recall her?

Edited by chockhead

I think it was probably the XI, at Breighton, and they didn't go for the correct colour (if you don't know where to look, in Kew's files, you have no chance.) From what I was told, they asked Airfix/Humbrol for a mix with a "wow" factor, not an accurate one.

Edgar

When I built my Mk. iX, I started with 36626?, USAF tactical camo underside gray, with a very, very light tint of red. If I did it again I would use even less tint. The color should be faintly pink. Nevertheless, it results in a different Spitfire.

Bill

Desert pink is too dark, and probably a little too yellow. If you added 2 parts white to one of desert pink, it might be OK.

Edited by ben_m