De Havilland Devon

Hi Folks

This is Magna's take on the 1/48 scale Devon.To say this was a challenge would be a gross understatement,the choice of a Devon is a great idea but the problems are not easy to overcome.The resin is very soft and the more you try to polish it the worse the finish becomes,the windows fit where they touch,the U/C legs are too long etc etc.Probably my choice of colour scheme did not help either and it is probably my worst finishing of a kit in a long time.A sit it is the only ball game in town it will have to do.An Anson C19 would be nice next,where are my pills?

]Ian

IMG_6432_zps9c52a384.jpgIMG_6433_zps94772795.jpg[/url

]IMG_6431_zpsbcce7f5f.jpg[url=http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/camper1231/media/IMG_6432_zps9c52a384.jpg.html]IMG_6432_zps9c52a384.jpg

• Like 7

Very nice. Was that the 'raspberry ripple' one?

I wangled a trip in her big sister, a Sea Heron. Flew from Lee-on-Solent to Yeovilton, on a beautiful sunny day with the countryside laid out below. Fabulous.

Happy Days.

They had the earlier scheme of blue and white,the raspberry ripple came after I left the RAE.There were four Devon's based there for travel round the various out stations.Went to West Freugh once on XM 223.They were smooth to fly in.

Ian

I think it looks great :)

I've got a Percival Prince from Magna in the stash. Must admit i was slightly horrified when it arrived; it all looks so crude in the box and the resin certainly is soft! So much so that the wings on my Prince are warped somewhat at the tips. I'm hoping that bracing and steaming the resin might fix that. Either way, it's at the bottom of the build pile for now. I've also been eyeing up the Twin Pioneer offering from Magna too. One at a time though. Arf

Lovely Devon though. And the finish looks fine.

Cheers,

M

Edited by Muppet

Nice build. Wouldn't mind getting one of these. Is there a Heron kit available?

Chris

Nice one Ian,

It looks great and the dayglow in particular looks superb as it can be hard to pull off right on a model.

Well done mate,

Tony

If that is anything like resin in a Magna VC10 kit, You've done very well. I saw what it was like and ran away! It reminded me of hard soap! As its the only one you can build though, you didn't have a choice.

Was the cockpit "dome" all glass/Perspex? All the Devons I've looked at seem to have different roofs, some painted , some with astrodomes, some "flatter curve". In other words, many different shapes and material. Thanks for showing!

The photo's I have of the real thing show an all clear canopy with the astrodome.I know what you mean about the various canopies,in 1968 when I worked at the RAE Farnborough we had four Devon's and two of them had different canopies,during overhauls they were standardised.

Ian

I just did a google on them and there a few different ones come up. I don't know if they built like that or mods carried out by the operators. Until today I've never seen one like your model, I found a couple of variations on your "clear" top. Not that the devon is a 'plane I've looked at/seen very often. The ones most familiar to me were the RAF version with different cockpit roof and painted white along with crown.