Emhar bedford OLBD 'Warstone Haulage'

I was sad to hear about the death of Mr G Martain, he was the owner of 'Warstone Motors' in the village I live his family ran Warstone Haulage, they ran a fleet of Bedford trucks, and brought a Bedford OB bus for spares for the lorries, it was found to be in good order so was put to work, as the bus services took off, and a local company was taken over the buses took over, trading as the Green Bus Service.

My god-farther was a driver at the Green bus, and I spent alot of time there, I worked as a bus washer on Saturdays, and school holidays, and I took my PCV on a Green Bus.

A lone lorry was retained, it sat at the back of the yard awaiting restoration, and it recantly has found a new home. the real one can be seen here

Any way, i took an Emhar Bedford, custome decals and a modified flat body to copy the real version and my tribute to 'Warstone haulage is almost done!

12994115863_751fb3f709_c.jpg
SONY DSC by richellis1978, on Flickr

12994386784_395c641396_c.jpg

12993998305_93d054086b_c.jpg

I will add a load before I go to the Cosford show in April, and maybe a bit of weathering. Not sure yet!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Very nice build and finish

Have been looking at these kits for a while, just they seem a bit pricey, what do they build like

Pricey, compared to what? Italeri standard kit even on Ebay ranges from dealers £32-00 up to £47-00 these kits full retail are £39-98 but can be bought for £37-00 so in the same ball park as any other truck kit.

The only fault I found with the kit is the inaccurate rear wheels something that the late Ted Taylor pointed out to me, the wheel rim shape is incorrect and the tyres touch at the rear, but apart from that they are the only british trucks that have been mould in that scale in plastic for a very long time.

Edited by Mick_Gannon

I got another OLBD at Cosford for £30, and a new recovery version for a little more, £34 IIR. Its not bad for the quality of the kit, and what else is out there....

Unless MG do the Trader and Micky Mouse again!

Rich

the Thames trader has been about for the last 10 years if not more, the last set of moulds have been about for 3 years and only sold 20 kits, unless you are prepared to pay for a full set of moulds there are 2 hopes of me doing it again, when it was in production nobody wanted it, now it has been discontinued I get requests, as for the Micky Mouse Foden it may be redone.

As to the quality of the Bedford kit, you do it an injustis by saying it's not bad, it is comparable with Italeri the other only major truck kit maker, better than AMT/Ertl remember I have been around for a long time so DO remember when plastic truck kits were made by companies.

Edited by Mick_Gannon

As to the quality of the Bedford kit, you do it an injustis by saying it's not bad,

Sorry, I didnt make it clear, I mean the price is 'not bad' the kit is first class. I would never say Im happy with the price of a kit, I mean Id have a pile if they where £10, then we could moan about how rubbish it is, that nothing fits together and it looks more like a spitfire than a Bedford Lorry!

The build fell together with no fit issues, the cap stayed on the filler throughout! The only problem I had was a mould line the ran across the back of the cab roof but that was simple to sand away.

I built trucks about 20 years ago, and stopped to do Uni, family, work etc and when I came back to modeling I started on planes, now Im back with the trucks I missed the best stuff! All the transkits form you, KFS and Kingdom are all now inflated e-bay prices! I would snap up a Trader if I saw one for a 'good' price, but take this as a request for a micky mouse!

Unless Airfix tool us a Micky Mouse, with options for 2, 3 or 4 axle rigids or tractors......... Dreaming!

BTW, how is the Strato conversion coming along! Ill be having a few off you!

That's a lovely piece of work Rich, and I love the story behind it too. I always love to see these companies who run a few old trucks to keep in tune with their heritage. Top work mate!

Is that Tamiya green by any chance? I have an Olds 442 sitting somewhere waiting to be finished and the shade looks pretty similar.

Odd