Antar 23 Tank Transporter Sqdn RCT

Here we have an Accurate Armour Mark 3 Tank Transporter with Sankey 60 Ton Trailer designed for carrying Chieftain and Conqueror Tanks. In this case the Cromwell Models Conqueror. As one of the original members of 3 Tank Transporter Sqdn....23 Tank Transporter Sqdn disbanded shortly after to become 3 Tank Transporter Sqdn and this is the equipment we used in the 70s at Antwerp Barracks in Sennelager BAOR.

Both kits, well, 3 actually counting the trailer, fought me all the way with brittle parts breaking and replacements having to be hand made. I have made the antar with options for ballast or 5th wheel, crew canopy or, as often seen when not being used just the skeleton framework for the canopy/crew quarters behind the cab open to the elements. It still need some weathering on it although these vehicles, like tanks, only moved 6-8 months of the year so much time was kept keeping them clean, spotless and depending on the driver "bulled up"

The rather long ramps on the Sankey Trailer can be displayed up or down with all chains detached or in situ

IMGA0857c_zps13caa289.jpg

IMGA0860d_zpsd49eadca.jpg

IMGA0856b_zps87dcedc4.jpg

IMGA0854a_zps8c32fe2c.jpg

IMGA0858h_zpsb1de832a.jpg

IMGA0861d_zps267429db.jpg

IMGA0859f_zps6409edae.jpg

IMGA0863e_zpsb5e7753b.jpg

IMGA0855_edited-1_zps27c91942.jpg

• Like 10

Very nice indeed,.....the Conqueror is fantastic too.

They used to have one of these Antars alongside the main gate at Bulford Camp and I spent many an hour stagging on alongside it in all weathers, day and night! We tried getting into it one night to keep dry but the cab was locked!

I think that the RCT Sqn on camp still used a few too,....but I may be wrong,...this was circa 1991-92.

Cheers

Tony

Very nice indeed,.....the Conqueror is fantastic too.

They used to have one of these Antars alongside the main gate at Bulford Camp and I spent many an hour stagging on alongside it in all weathers, day and night! We tried getting into it one night to keep dry but the cab was locked!

I think that the RCT Sqn on camp still used a few too,....but I may be wrong,...this was circa 1991-92.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I do believe Bulford closed down last year. There was a regimental disbandment that I saw on Utube I think.

The first job of the replacement transporter, the Scammell Commander was to take all the Antars down to the scrap yard(All except one which is kept bulled up for ceremonial occasion) Some managed to get away and are occasionally seen at various commercial shows........Your spot on with the years, it would have been 1991-92

Brings back memories of 16 Tank Transporter Squadron at Fally, with all the old Polish civvies (ex Army in WWII who chose not to go back to Poland) as crew

Hi Graeme,

We did have 617 Tank Transporter Unit MSO RCT when 23 Tank Transporter Sqdn was about...........they were poles and were known as Mojos........when they arrived on base there crews always came around the barracks looking to buy cigarette coupons and as a none smoker, I always looked forward to there arrival

It looks very nice...and big!

Hi Mr Grumpy,

Tis big isnt it? Too big for a diorama. Its about 3-4 foot long with ramps down and Tank trying to get on. It sits in a glass cabinet thats had all the glasses and porcelain taken out...............it was a case of having to as I also have the Foden 6x6 wrecker and Stalwart in there...........its a bit like the 1/24 aircraft kits, same problem? Where do you put them?? At least in the cabinet with the sliding glass doors shut they will come to no harm, or, collect much dust.

Thanks once again to all the lads for liking the kits, I am flattered and by the remarks and replies...........

I love the look of these beasts and you have caught it well. :goodjob: I am a friend of Duxford and had the opportunity to sit in the cab of the Antar in the Land Warfare Hall a few years ago which was a very memorable experience. I'm sure that you have good memories of working with them.