Airfix 1/48 Saab JA 37 Jaktviggen

Just started on my Airfix 1/48 Saab JA-37 Viggen.

My goals are:

1) Do a better job than my ESCI 1/48 Saab AJ-37 Viggen, which can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956681-esci-148-saab-aj-37-viggen/

2) Finish before the Tarangus JA 37 hit store shelves

Since the real JA 37 is 10cm longer than its AJ 37 counterpart to accommodate the longer RM8B engine, I will be stretching the fuselage 2.083mm immediately ahead of the wing leading edge. The JA 37 would not be a proper fighter variant if it has the same fuselage length as the ground attack version.

Got the fuselage and wings scribed.

build01.jpg

build02.jpg

Edited by RichardL
  • Like 4

Sprayed the front fan with Alclad II:

build06.jpg

Please feel free to point out any errors you might see so I can fix them before it is too late ;)

• Like 2

Yes it is.

Got the two fuselage halves glued together:

build07.jpg

There are some gaps around the front of the intake duct, so I will fill those gaps with Milliput. I ground too much material away from the front of the duct in an attempt to make it fit.

build08.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice.

Got the gaps filled with Milliput. Will be filing and sanding these smooth.

build09a.jpg

build09b.jpg

Does anyone know the interior colour of the intakes? Is it grey, off-white, or white? Is it matt, satin, or gloss?

I could not find a good colour photo showing the inside of the intakes and front duct. Thanks.

• Like 2

Got the pregnant belly cut out to make room for Two Mikes corrected belly. This was a pretty major exercise as Two Mikes belly did not want to play nice with the Maestro front air duct/fan. Both pieces had to be extensively modified in order to fit together.

build_10a.jpg

build_10b.jpg

build_10c.jpg

• Like 3

Got Two Mikes lovely slender belly glued on and spot primed to check for surface defects.

build_11a.jpg

build_11b.jpg

build_11c.jpg

There are several spots where I will need to touch up.

• Like 3

Sprayed the interior of Maestro rear tail section and engine parts Alclad II Jet Exhaust:

build_13a.jpg

The afterburner section is sprayed with Gunze Burnt Iron, which is slightly lighter and more metallic than Alclad Jet Exhaust. I tried to paint the flame holder and the fuel spray rings the same colours as pictured on page 46 of Squadron Signal Saab 37 Viggen Walk Around book.

The front of the exhaust pipe is also painted Burnt Iron, whilst the rear is painted Jet Exhaust.

build_13c.jpg

• Like 5

The top thrust reverser flap is treated to a coat of Alclad II Pale Burnt Metal over Alclad II Steel with just a hint of transparent blue in the hot areas.

build_14.jpg

• Like 1

Maestro corrected nose is grafted on and primed with Mr. Resin Primer:

build_15a.jpg

build_15b.jpg

I can see that I will need to blend the nose to the front fuselage.

Two Mikes belly is also primed with Mr. Resin Primer:

build_15c.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting topic.

Just for the sake of precision the RM-8B had an extra stage for the front fan compared to the RM-8A (i.e. 3 instead of 2), which resulted in 13 cms greater length for the engine, and for the airframe as well. That's 2,7 mm in 1/48th.

Hubert