Airfix 1/48 Saab JA 37 Jaktviggen

The nose received a coat of Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black. Once the paint is completely dried, I'll mask the nose off and wrap it to protect from overspray.

build_58d.jpg

build_58e.jpg

I forgot to make these semi-circular elevon "hinges", so I will do them and glue them on before painting:

build_59a.jpg

I don't have a good photo showing all of them, so I will do some searching. Need to know where they are located on the wing.

• Like 1

I forgot to make these semi-circular elevon "hinges", so I will do them and glue them on before painting:

build_59a.jpg

I don't have a good photo showing all of them, so I will do some searching. Need to know where they are located on the wing.

-Any usefulness ?

0871919_zpse35924a3.jpg

0201711_zpscd479265.jpg

• Like 1

Made the big ones out of a small round black plastic brush handle and the smaller ones out of Vallejo putty:

build_59b.jpg

build_59c.jpg

Primed:

build_59d.jpg

build_59e.jpg

• Like 1

- Air superiority grey or splinter....?

Splinter, of course, as stated in a couple of posts way back, along with the chosen color scheme. Air superiority grey is no challenge - too easy.

• Like 2

Sprayed the leading edge of the wings, canards, and intakes with Alclad II white aluminium, although the aluminium doesn't show up very well in the pictures below:

build_60a.jpg

build_60b.jpg

The plan is to spray paint over the aluminium, then use a toothpick to scrape away some of the paint to reveal the aluminium underneath, thus simulating paint chipping.

It's time to custom mix Tamiya paints for the bottom blue-grey colour:

build_61a.jpg

The bottom of the aircraft is now painted. I will probably do one more pass.

build_61b.jpg

build_61c.jpg

• Like 3

....and so the painting begins! Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the splinter camo. I did a Viggen in this scheme a few years ago, I had to be patient and take my time whilst masking both characteristics I lack!!

Don't think I ever posted a pic on BM I'll dig one out if you're interested.

Anyhow you're doing a superb job!

Thanks. Tackling the splinter camo is easy compared to some of the things I have already done to the aircraft, such as stretching the fuselage. I have done the splinter camo before. It was not difficult - just time consuming.

I've been busy masking the bottom to prevent overspray from reaching the paint. I still have to carefully mask the front section and pay close attention to the location of the demarcation line between the bottom blue-grey colour and the top colours:

build_61d.jpg

• Like 2

Missed a couple of spots, one in front of the left intake and one under the rear of the canard:

build_62d.jpg

I think I got them all.

My printer broke, so I can't print out the colour scheme at 1/48 scale in order to cut out the masks for the tan spots. I'll need to look for a new printer this weekend.

Then it's just a matter of placing a Tamiya masking sheet over a cutting mask, place the printed camo on top of it, and cut out the tan areas through both the camo printout and the masking sheet. Very little skill is required to do the splinter camo. All one needs is the ability to score straight lines with an X-acto blade. Here is a pic showing the printout with the tan areas cut out:

build_63c.jpg

Then it's just a matter of placing each mask through the corresponding hole in the printout for exact placement:

build_63e.jpg

build_63f.jpg

Easy as pie without any guessing. I've seen people use ruler and divider to find the position for each shape, but they still didn't get it 100% correct.

All the masks in place on the left wing:

build_63g.jpg

and the camo printout removed:

build_63h.jpg

I'll do the right wing next. This is like taking a walk in the park.