EE Lightning 111 Sq 1964 - RCAF Exchange Pilot

FTW

Afternoon all

Woke this morning to find these in my inbox sent by an old friend in Canada!

Pictures taken on 9 April 1964 at RAF Wattisham of Flt Lt Robert Chisholm RCAF an exchange pilot with 111 Sqn for 3 years. Later became a Major General in the CAF. Pictures also show Sqn Ldr Later AVM George Black

Hope they are of interest

Regards

Frank

XM973/T

PL-144162LightningTx.jpg

XM184/A

PL-144174LightningF3111SqnApr64.jpg

XM216

PL-144173LightningF3111SqnApr64.jpg

XM192/K

PL-144172LightningF3111SqnApr64.jpg

PL-144170LightningF3111SqnApr64.jpg

PL-144168LightningF3111SqnApr64.jpg

All photographs are courtesy Canadian Forces Joint Imagery Centre, Ottawa via Steve.

Edited by FTW
  • Like 4

Nice! The one in the fourth pic of 'K' just rotating, could that one be XM192 that was in the original Airfix kit I wonder???

Just answered my own question. In the next pic with tail ends on view and the two pilots, 'K' can be seen and XM192 can just be made out! Still in existance!! ( Behind the T.4 XM973) 'H' looks to be XM191!

Hi Yup

XM191 very faded and that is XM192 - well spotted and I'd forgotten about the Airfix kit !

f

Also, isn't W/Co G. Black father of Ian Black another pretty well known Lightning pilot and author of some nice Lightning books?

And note the yellow T band on the T4!

talking of which, it seems that Xtradecal are doing some Two seater Lightning decals for the Sword kit no doubt. See Hannants Future releases!!

George Black & Son yes i believe so

It certainly is! Not normally seen on an F.1A.. Interestingly XM216 and XM192 were both on the 226OCU strength when I saw them at Coltishall in 1968, Quite probably the T4 too.

Lovely pics of my local. In some ways it's changed a lot, but in others it's just the same, especially that old control tower. Ironically the runway has just been downgraded and won't be resurfaced, so the days of any heavy fixed wings are now completely gone.

Gary