Airfix 1/72 Blohm & Voss Bv141B

I thought it was time I stopped just admiring everyone else's hard work and posted some pictures of my own. This is the old tool Airfix Blohm & Voss Bv141, and it was, surprisingly to me, an enjoyable little kit. Yes, it has raised panel lines and rivets, and I'm sure that there are technical problems (e.g. proportions/length etc.), but it looks about right compared to reference photos and that's all that matters to me.

Overall, fit was good.

I added the swastikas on the tail from some leftovers from another kit - because I chose the paint scheme that I did, it really needed it (I feel). Paint is Tamiya XF-12 J.N. Grey (diluted with a little white in places to give some streaking, but I don't think that has really shown up terribly well. Such details as there are were done in Vallejo (mostly) bits and bobs. I chose the second scheme because a) I'm bored with splinter schemes, and B) I like the colour.

I realise that there are many flaws, including but not exclusively: Canopies are a little rough (notwithstanding the 2+ hours spent masking them). Please bear in mind that the plastic was thick, and I can't get Future here in Oz. Washes are pretty much my first foray into anything like that, and I need lots of practice. This kit was chosen as a bit of a morale booster and practise run after a particularly traumatic DH2 build (and then I noticed the canopies!), and overall it served it's purpose - I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Anyway - on with the show, and thanks for looking:

BampV_Bv141_05_zpsec54b881.jpg

BampV_Bv141_04_zps33cba180.jpg

BampV_Bv141_03_zps110294a8.jpg

BampV_Bv141_02_zps9864f67e.jpg

BampV_Bv141_01_zps35dd9a52.jpg

Edited by jckspratt1
  • Like 12

Well done js1!!

Mate I have the same kit in my stash and I was looking at it the other day and was thinking the same thing.."I'm over the splinter schemes..... what's this other one about?"

I think I'll do the same thing and then see what interest I can add to the scheme with washes, weathering etc etc.

Well done.

Good on you for posting!

• Like 1

An Airfix classis, very nicely done. There must be so many of these in stashes around the world, it's really nice to see one built; especially in the scheme you have done.

I remember building this one when I was a kid; thanks to Airfix and the very combative box art of the early issue kits I was convinced for years that the Luftwaffe had whole squadrons of these bombing factories and suchlike :lol:

You've done a great job on yours JS and not lost the character of the original kit, nice work B)

Cheers,

Stew

Zigarten: I wondered that, but it's been so long since I watched that film that I can't recall It's certainly reminiscent at worst.

Stew: Like I said, this was a combined wind down/morale booster and practice run (and hence didn't want to expend huge effort), but I do like all of the raised surfaces because that's how I remember kits when I was a kid. I know they are technically incorrect and in a new kit they'd be unacceptable, but in these old Airfix kits I like 'em. The box art on the newest boxing is similarly martial, btw.

I like these Luft '46 type planes , but they can be a bit misleading. A bit of a wander in a model shop would convince the unaware that the Germany was so far ahead of the Allies that they must have thrown the war! Kit manufacturers must have little shrines to the B&V works, for starters.

Just checked: No, it's not the Raiders plane. That was based on a Horten Ho 2-29, (basically a twin jet flying wing) but with twin tails with rear facing props mounted in the these and a central cockpit with rear facing turret. Really, not much like the Bv141b at all, but strangely reminiscent.

Edited by jckspratt1
  • Like 1

How much fun did you have painting 3 crew members ...some with various parts and limbs missing???

I'm going to make a big effort on the interior and crew etc on this one .....with a singular colour scheme just like yours and that much glazing I think it will be a way to really add some further interest to the kit...

Or do my head completely in!!!! HAHA!

Very nicely done. You have to love some of these hair-brained german ideas that they came up with. :-)

Every kit is a learning experience so well done for taking the time to do something to boost your morale. You've ended up with a lovely model to show for it in the end and no doubt learnt a few tricks along the way.

My recommendation would be to look at chalk pastels for weathering next. Easy and cheap to buy, grind some up of the right colours and then use a stiff brush to dust over the model in the right places. They add interest and a level of variation in colour that a single colour scheme can sometimes need.

What's up next?

Richard

Winenut: yeah painting the crew was fun. Frankly I'm surprised the Germans allowed so many amputees to fly for them, but I guess what with wartime attrition being what it was ...

I considered playing with the interior, but with the Coke-bottle canopies and the amount of structural framework in the canopies it didn't seem worthwhile (given that this was just a quick recovery model). I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

rwoolven: I picked up some Tamiya weathering powders yesterday and am going to have a play with them (I think they are very similar to pastels - or ladies eye makeup!). I'm 'working' on a 1:48 Eduard Nieuport 11 at the moment. As appears to be fairly commonplace, I totalled it this afternoon. I had had a dream run with it: lovely nicely detailed cockpit (which is almost invisible with the fuselage closed up). All sprayed up and ready to rig. The struts were perfectly aligned and I'd test fitted the top wing. It pretty much set itself in place. I was set to try using fishing line to rig (after unsatisfactory results with my first rigging attempt on a DH2). All I had to do was put the decals on. Easy peasy.

I thought.

Unfortunately, the decals are very thin (which, once on, is a major plus I reckon) and one of the big ones on the fuselage was playing silly buggers. Whilst trying to get it to play nice, I dropped the plane. Onto the hard tiled kitchen floor (I was sick of my nice carpeted study, fool me). Then I trod on it whilst trying to scramble out of the way ...

Result: barring the fuselage, I ended up with a new, ready-to-assemble, N11 model kit. Almost every single component piece was separated from its mates. I could have cried.

So now I am just finishing reassembling it with superglue (for the most part) and it looks OK (for the most part). At least now I can really go to town with my rigging experiment, and weathering. And, really, anything else I decide. It can't be any worse!

• Like 1

Oh dear. We all have those moments. I spent ages getting my he111 canopy fixed and square, all lined up and nicely sanded. I then tried fitting a wing and for some stupid reason decided the nose was definitely the part of the plane to grip while trying to squeeze it on. Result was shattered canopy pieces and starting the whole thing again. Not stepped on a model yet, but it's only a matter of time. :-)

Good luck with the weathering and rigging. I read an article about the new airfix Gladiator that said using a needle threading tool was good for rigging. No idea myself since my models are all monoplanes but you never know. It might be useful.

Anyways, good luck. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Richard

• Like 1

• 1 year later...