Revell 1:125 Ocean Exploration Vessel aka Jaques Cousteau's 'RV Calypso' ++Finished++

Very little progress as I have been doing anything but modelling this weekend!

IMG_4217_zpsc2dc05e7.jpg

Primed with Tamiya fine surface primer.

Coated GW Skull White

Airbrushed the lower hull with Citadel Mechrite Red. I couldn't be bothered to spend the money on whatever shade of red it should be, looks close enough for me. It's not lighter in the middle, just the lamp being used a spot light.

I'm going to let it dry 24 hrs before I mask it and spray the black band around the hull.

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 4

Thanks!

Well, having got this far I realise that I should of airbrushed the decks before I assembled the model. I would have got a better finish and I'm having trouble painting the gangways under the upper deck. Ah well, you live and learn. Photos to follow tonight.

• Like 2

A bit of brushwork done. I'm not too happy with my painting. In retrospect I should have painted everything before I put it together, or at least before I glued the decks to the hull. planning fail.

IMG_4219_zps4f945533.jpg

IMG_4222_zps07e43742.jpg

Lots of touching up needed :weep:

I plan to weather this boat, a bit of grime and rust here and there. I'm finding photos of the Calypso are not that great but she did go rusty on voyages.

• Like 3

IMG_4225_zps362e7597.jpg

That's better. Looks like a boat now! Time to put the hull aside for a day and concentrate on the little pointy bits.

I :wub: my new airbrush.

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 5

Careful when applying rust spots.. The hull and deck itself is wooden

That's what I thought, but there's plenty of metal as well, portholes, railings the anchor, probably? most of the upper structure.

Boat%20766.jpg

La_calypso_en_route_vers_le_chantier.JPG

I agree less is more, but the above gives me an idea what can rust on a wooden boat :winkgrin:

IMG_4271_zpse7bce250.jpg

IMG_4269_zps667c1f3d.jpg

IMG_4268_zpsaf78c7de.jpg

A little bit more painting details tonight, I removed the window masks only to find the spray has got inside the model and now we have salty windows....

I've been dreading washing this boat to pick out the doorways etc but I think I found an alternative, the doors on this model are all raised lines, so I've carefully scraped

through the white down to the primer with a scapel and I think it looks pretty effective - see the second photo above.

Again, a little sanding on the white section of the hull picks out the joins of the timber. Added a little scuffing below the anchor like in the photo. Once I varnish it it will get a little rust round there.

Its going pretty great realy, mainly for something SO small..

The rust on the wooden areas is in form of streaking i guess, so there it will be fine, only i would not go for so hard streaking as on the last image, the ship on duty, with all the water weaves washing its ides often would not have such a big streaking rust stripes i guess. But on other hand i guess you know it, i m just speaking my thoughts loud :)

All in all it looks realy nice so far.. i have never build any ship (or civilian aircraft, ...) but whenever i see build like this, i feel i want to make one too! :)

Its going pretty great realy, mainly for something SO small..

The rust on the wooden areas is in form of streaking i guess, so there it will be fine, only i would not go for so hard streaking as on the last image, the ship on duty, with all the water weaves washing its ides often would not have such a big streaking rust stripes i guess. But on other hand i guess you know it, i m just speaking my thoughts loud :)

All in all it looks realy nice so far.. i have never build any ship (or civilian aircraft, ...) but whenever i see build like this, i feel i want to make one too! :)

It's not that small, this model is about 30cm long!

looks fantastic so far. is this a current kit? would love to build it as i used to love watching the program on telly when i was a kid.helped that i used to live in the middle east and would go snorkling in the arabian gulf almost every day.

jeff

It's a current kit, actually a reboxing of a 1976 kit. Google Revell 1/125 Exploration Vessel Model Kit.

Thanks for the nice comments, I'm going to prime lots of little bits next.

• Like 1

Been studying the pics of the real deal, I think that the white part of the forecastle is a steel skin reinforcement, added when the vessel was reconstructed from a minesweeper to a civilian ship. Looks like it has been riveted in place.

I could be wrong though

Been studying the pics of the real deal, I think that the white part of the forecastle is a steel skin reinforcement, added when the vessel was reconstructed from a minesweeper to a civilian ship. Looks like it has been riveted in place.

I could be wrong though

Feel free to share your sources, I need all the images I can get :)

The forecastle is steel and actually an underwater observation chamber :)

_48021238_lacalypso_shipyard.jpg

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 1

I saw this kit for sale today at the Southern Expo at £14. I would never have looked at it had it not been for you build. You are doing a great job so far.

To be honest, I only bought the kit because it was under a tenner on special offer!

However, I've always wanted to build one of the those big wooden kits, as I've been a balsa basher in the past, but I don't know what model I would start with.