Clansman Vehicle Whip Antennae Length?

IanW

Hi,

I'm just completing my 1/35 Accurate Armout Stolly and need to fit a whip aerial. Could anyone please provide me the length a Clansman whip antennae should be when mounted on the Stolly?

Thanks very much,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I thought they were about 1.5 meters but having Googled it, I wasn't right but I wasn't wrong, 1.2, 1.8 and 2.0 meters, hope this helps?

Edited by Mr Grumpylee

when I used clansman radios on Ferrets, Land Rovers and Centurion tanks, they were provided in 2 x 4 foot sections which screwed together to make one aerial, some vehicles, especially command vehicles, would have upto 3 or 4 aerials fitted. In fact, if you check out pictures of early Centurions, you will see on top of the turret a tube/canister, just over 4 foot long for stowing aerials when not in use(behind radio operator and commanders cupola)

Check out Ferrets, providing they have no sand channels fitted to the front, you will see similar tube or canister for the 4 foot sections beneath the attachments for the pick

When I was in the forces, we were imperial measurements, so, knowing how quick the army moves, it maybe metric now.

I left in 1973 and still had 1937 pattern webbing and backpack!!!

As an ex operator, the Clansman whips were:- VHF 353 2m , HF 321 whip was 3m or 4m depending on the freq, this was reduced when on roads

to avoid hitting power cables etc to 2m.

They were the same one metre whip sections for the VHF and HF they just screwed together , we got issued a bit of kit that allowed us to angle the HF whips back or forward

so we could use a 3 or 4m antenna whilst on road moves.

HTH

Dan

• 2 months later...

As another ex-Clansman scaleyback I agree with all of the above but I recall the vehicle VHF on my Landies and Sultan being 2.4m in 2x1.2m (i.e. 4 foot) sections. These antennas were hollow copper and tapered from base to tip. Stolly would have carried 351 or 352 manpack set on clip-in kit, not 353. Antennas, bases and TUAAM were the same for all VHF. TUAAM would have been pretty much directly below the antenna base, but inside. With 351 and 352 there was a small box between radio and TUAAM to trigger TUAAM tuning, usually next to the radio. Damned if I can remember its name. Wiring-wise, the radio battery would have been connected to vehicle power for charging, the set would have been connected from right side to the tuning device and then the TUAAM. Headphones connected to left side.

Initiate Box for the 351/2 clip in-role and DCCU 14V or 28V for charging, depending on vehicle electrical system. I can't remember antenna element lengths though.

Phil ex-REME Tels