Ultimate Acrylic Airbrush Thinner & Cleaner

Mike

• 2 months later...

I've received both the cleaner and the thinner. The cleaner works well but I'm not seeing any noticeable improvement with the thinners over those provided by the paint manufacturers. My main reason for buying was to try and make Xtracrylix paint useable, as I really struggle to get them to mix and spray properly with their own thinners. Disappointingly I've seen no improvement at all with the Ultimate thinners despite following the instructions on ratios. I still have a temperamental mix that refuses to stay mixed (it will go from mixed paint to dirty thinners after about 15 seconds of spraying) and clogs the airbrush. It works well with other paints, but I need to try some different ratios for Xtracrylix as at the moment it just isn't working.

I've received both the cleaner and the thinner. The cleaner works well but I'm not seeing any noticeable improvement with the thinners over those provided by the paint manufacturers. My main reason for buying was to try and make Xtracrylix paint useable, as I really struggle to get them to mix and spray properly with their own thinners. Disappointingly I've seen no improvement at all with the Ultimate thinners despite following the instructions on ratios. I still have a temperamental mix that refuses to stay mixed (it will go from mixed paint to dirty thinners after about 15 seconds of spraying) and clogs the airbrush. It works well with other paints, but I need to try some different ratios for Xtracrylix as at the moment it just isn't working.

Hi Bobski

Firstly, thanks for your feedback. I have to say that you are the very first person to say that they've seen no improvement using Ultimate with Xtracrylix paints! I can only assume that their is something particular to your set up that doesn't agree with Xtracrylix.

From what I can understand, you have used the Ultimate thinner ratio chart when deciding your percentages with your paint? If you are, then I would suggest increasing the thinner ratio in 5% increments until you find the balance with your spraying set up, every set up is different. Maybe go straight for a 50/50 mix. If that doesn't work increase the thinner ratio up to 55%, then 60%.

Xtracrylix are notoriously bad sprayers, but they do work perfectly fine with Ultimate thinner. Xtracrylix and Lifecolor where our main adversaries when creating the formula... :)

Please let me know how you get on and PM me if you need any further help...

All the best

UMP

:D

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the info Alan.

While it is a Lacquer based paint, Mr Color is still an Acrylic as, apparently, that refers to the medium the paint is made of rather than whether it is water-based or not. Hence my hope that this might work with the Mr Colour acrylic lacquers.

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Can I ask you to check and confirm your recommendation of 50% Ultimate Thinner to 50% Hataka paint? I tried earlier with their RLM02; I appreciate there is an element of personal preference involved, but for me that was much too thin... I'd say probably more like 75% paint to 25% thinner would be appropriate but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi there,

Can I ask you to check and confirm your recommendation of 50% Ultimate Thinner to 50% Hataka paint? I tried earlier with their RLM02; I appreciate there is an element of personal preference involved, but for me that was much too thin... I'd say probably more like 75% paint to 25% thinner would be appropriate but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew

I can confirm that the three bottles we used for research purposes were all thinned 50/50 and sprayed with no problems at all at a pressure of 22-25psi.

There is always room to manoeuvre with these recommendations, but 25% is quite a bit. There will be a difference for darker and lighter colours as there is usually a lot more pigment in darker colours, which would need more thinning. I wouldn't class RLM02 as a light colour, but we used the GB paint set for our tests.

All the best

UMP

Hi there,

Interesting, I spray at a considerably lower pressure (bad habits perhaps, I taught myself to airbrush when there was no YouTube or interwebs to refer to) but I wouldn't have thought that would have much effect. In any case when I mixed it 75/25 the following day after my last post I thought it was much better - I'm happy that's the right mix for me, anyway. I've got the RAF set as well but haven't done any spraying beyond a brief squirt of Interior Grey-Green.

Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to add my support to the Thinner and Cleaner. Thinning paints for airbrushing has always been a pain for me so a single proven thinner for them all with a recommended thinning ratio is such a help. Thins all the paints I own including notoriously tricky to spray paints like Humbrol acrylics and Xtracrylix. Most notable thing is I kept checking the needle out of habit to prevent the paint drying on it, no such issues now with this. I assume there's a retarder in the thinner which prevents such occurrences. The cleaner is top notch too, does what it says on the tin and I got it on offer with the thinner so win-win.

Edited by Dynamo11
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brilliant stuff, found out about it last year, I use it solely now for thinning and use the cleaner every time, you'll be surprised how long it lasts, check out the range of Ultimate sanding products as well

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the thinner and cleaner but yet to try it. 

I was interested in the comments from Bobski regard Xtracyrlix. For a while I had trouble with it drying on the tip after about 30 secs and their own thinner didn't seem to help. I read somewhere about using deionised water and Windsor and Newton Flow Improver, which made a huge difference together with a higher pressure. Hopefully the Ultimate Thinner has similar properties.