Vietnam era Stowage for Aussie Centurion

Peter Marshall

Hopefully this will be simple to answer but here goes - i'm currently building the AFV Club Aussie Centurion, and I am looking for recommendations for some extra stowage to fit.

I am leery of simply buying anything as I am concerned that generic vietnam era sets will be U.S. Equipment, and I don't know if that will be a good fit on an Australian Centurion.

So recommendations please

Thanks.

Peter

Peter,

The Australians were equipped with a mix of US, Brirish and homegrown kit, so you actually have some latitude. Also, Australian forces in SE Asia were supplied in part through the US Logistics chain, so again, US kit wouldn't be entirely out of place.

For example, the Aussies used US pattern webbing but carried FN rifles. They used M60 MGs instead of the FN MAG and wore US pattern helmets (infantry and CVC). Bedrolls, cots and other stuff were frequently traded. Jerrycans were usually British/German style but US cans would have been seen too.

A really good narrative history of Australian Armour in SE Asia is 'Jungle Tracks' by Gary McKay and Graeme Nicholls (published by Allen and Unwin - ISBN 1 86508 449 2)

Also worth looking out is Military Briefs No.3 - Australian Centurions in Vietnam By Shane Lovell (http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/Books/Milbrief3.htm) - excellent reference material.

Mouse House also do a range of Australian-specific vehicle sets and conversions http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/Catalogue.htm

Cheers,

Centaur

Peter

Some other useful references are " Mud & Dust " by Michael Cecil , "Vietnam Shots " by Gary McKay and Elizabeth Stewart and " My Vietnam " by Stephen Lewis which all have many photos of Aussie tracks. Another great read about Aussie armour in Nam is " Canister, On, Fire " cant remember the author at the moment and my copy is put away.

For on line reference photos you cant go past the Australian War Memorial site , their photo archive is second to none and easy to navigate.

Most Aussie Cents had a number of standard in theatre mods, including boot scraper on the front track guard, reinforced track guard storage boxes, reinforced with star picket as well as the track guards them self reinforced with picket, ammo liners in a turret top rack , umbrella holder or canvas shelter for the turret hatches etc. Storage was what ever could be issued, borrowed, traded or found. So US, Aussie, Pom or local issue was to be found.

Vehicles stayed in theatre as units rotated in and out so some had more than one name and vehicle rego number is the best way to ID individual vehicles.

John at Mouse House has produced decal sheets for many vehicles and his accessory sets are well worth while, I must try his 1/25 conversion for the Tamiya Cent one day, it looks great in the flesh.

Regards Bob

All Australian equipment has what is called a "CES" - Complete Equipment Schedule. The CES is all the components that go together to produce a complete piece of equipment, be it a weapon, an armoured vehicle, an artillery gun, a refridgerator, a radio, etc. The Centurion was issued with a standard set of equipment which included all it's tools, chains, ropes, etc. To that, was usually, as has been noted a lot of stuff that crews acquired by one means or another. These invariably included chairs, folding (a metal canvas chair much prized for relaxing in), a large metal wash basin, several smaller plastic wash basins, several plastic water jerricans, and a small petrol fired camping stove/burner, sometimes an esky (cooler box). Then you get the official equipment - ammunition liners, fuel jerricans, ration packs either in boxes or tins, Camnets, tarpaulins, etc.

US Igloo coolers, vacuum cans and the all inportant roll of chain link fence material along with the poles to set it up.

G

I've never seen any pictures of chain link fence associated with Centurions. US M113s carried it but Australian ones didn't. "Igloo coolers"? I assume you mean the Australian "Esky" - "Eskimo" coolers?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never seen any pictures of chain link fence associated with Centurions. US M113s carried it but Australian ones didn't. "Igloo coolers"? I assume you mean the Australian "Esky" - "Eskimo" coolers?

Same same cooler!

I have never seen a US vehicle without chain link. Oh well, live and learn.

:goodjob:

G