Heller 1/72 Caudron C635 Simoun - FINISHED

For my third build, I will be attempting the Heller Caudron Simoun:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-1-72-Caudron-C635-Simoun-/131119342854?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252FFVtms%252BRmn81rpdGqVmAKvYTUOc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

An ebay bargain, in fact these can be bought brand new for about eight quid; it isn't an aircraft of which I had previous knowledge and I suppose they don't sell many here. Anyway, the box:

DSCN0660.jpg

...and the contents:

DSCN0661.jpg

Those red stripes on the yellow paintscheme are for a Paris-Tokyo air race aircraft but I won't be building that one, mine will use the alternate decals for a plain silver-painted Armee de l'Air aircraft from 1938. I'm guessing the yellow-red scheme was to aid visibility for rescue teams if the aircraft had to ditch or crash-land between Paris and Tokyo which is a very long way for a small aircraft. I do like that scheme though and might well buy another kit to build that version as well.

I've already made a start on painting the interior - the instructions call for '60' which if it is the same as Humbrol 60 will be scarlet, however I found some lovely pictures just by googling and the interior looks more of a wine-red colour (it is fitting, no?) so I went with some Citadel acrylic paint:

DSCN0663.jpg

I'm now carving the buttocks off a pilot figure in order to fit him into the tiny cockpit :owww:

Cheers,

Stew

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 2

Poor pilot!

Pah! 'Tis but a flesh wound! :zombie:

Thanks PC, it's going together very nicely so far - in one review I read somewhere the builder claimed it was the best-fitting kit he had ever made and I would modify it only slightly in saying it is amongst the best-fitting kits I have ever made - so far at least :)

Thanks Mark :D

Thanks Jorgen; it certainly would be a gigantic pain in the hindquarters to have to mask and paint all those stripes, on the other hand that would be a pretty big decal to fit on each wing... :unsure: but if it works it would be a very attractive scheme.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Pawel, it is progressing quickly; got the interior fitted:

DSCN0679.jpg

Wings and undercarriage units made up:

DSCN0681.jpg

Pilot installed:

DSCN0682.jpg

Fuselage closed up:

DSCN0687.jpg

Mainplanes and tailplanes added:

DSCN0689.jpg

Undercarriage fitted and propeller/engine front assembled:

DSCN0690.jpg

Not an unproductive use of my day off I think, back to work today but should get some more done tonight.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

It certainly is mate, this kit would be a great mojo restorer, I think if I had applied myself (and if I had been in a hurry to finish something) I could have finished this in a day :pilot:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Mark, it is a lovely little kit I must say :heart:

Wolwe, I'm making the French Air Force version this time but have just received a second kit from Creative Models - also less than a tenner ^_^

Steven, good luck finding that decal sheet; I hunted high and low for it and couldn't find one anywhere. I think the code for it is 72-046 and there is one with civilian markings for the C630 (which is externally almost identical having a slightly different internal layout and engine) is 72-053. I would have particularly liked the Military version set but I'm not even sure if Model Art are still trading.

As I said I have bought a second kit and will just tag it on to this thread, it's not worth starting a fresh one for what will effectively be the same thing but a different colour. Creative Models got it to me very quickly, and here is the new-style Heller flap-top box:

DSCN0694.jpg

...and a surprise - the newer boxing has an extra decal option, a metallic blue 'Air Bleu' aircraft from 1936 which I promptly fell totally in love with and immediately ditched my plans to make the yellow one with the red stripes. Or maybe I could get a third kit and do all three... :hmmm:

DSCN0695.jpg

...and the bits, all present and correct. I'll start this one shortly, am currently about to spray the silver on the first kit so will catch up with that one shortly... :whistle:

DSCN0697.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Coming on fast!!!!

• Like 1

Hi Stewart

ModelArt are alive and well, Jean Pierre is a friend of mine he lives a few miles from me.

He has a web site but not sure of the address.

I will give him a ring, not too long ago Heller produced him the kits to go with his decals..

Leave it with me..

Cheers Steve

• Like 1

Thanks PC, nice to know I am not alone in being a bit of a tart as far as the choice of paint schemes go :lol:

Pete, yes I can't get over how quickly this thing has put itself together - actually it's a very simple kit and everything fits really well so there really hasn't been anything to hang me up, especially as I have painted it with acrylics as well.

Steven, that would be great, thank you, I did find a website which I think was the correct one:

http://www.amv83.fr/modelart.htm

but it hasn't been updated since 2010 and the decal sets I referred to were both shown as 'Out of Stock' anyway- but I would appreciate any efforts you can make on my behalf, thank you :)

Stix, thank you, it saves me having to think about which one to do next anyway :lol:

I sprayed kit 1 with a mix of Citadel Chainmail and Vallejo Grey Primer at about 3:2, watered down with tap water about 33%, it went on very nicely though a bit thin, I had to do several thin coats but that wasn't really an issue as it dried almost instantaneously:

DSCN0691.jpg

And once that was done I repainted the propeller and the tyres, I thought this was probably easier than trying to mask them before spraying:

DSCN0692.jpg

So a little tidy up around the window frames looks like it might be required, then on to the decals B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Hi Stew,

I spoke to JP he said he no longer has the sheet..

You could try putting a wanted add for that part of the sheet.

His web site is

www.modelartdec.com

Sorry I couldnt be anymore help..

Steve

• Like 1

... aaaaaand she's done, my lovely little French chick:

DSCN0698.jpg

More pics here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954229-gallery/page-2#entry1564620

That was a fun build, a really enjoyable stressless fussless couple of days work (if I might dignify it with that term); if I must dig around for something to complain about then it would be the lack of a pilot figure and the pitot tube moulded onto one half of the starboard wing which strangely has still not broken off but I suspect it is merely biding it's time until I lower my guard and then it will vanish.

This kit cost me £4.40. It didn't take long to build it but I still think that was exceptional value for money, especially as I am so pleased with the finished article.

Anyway, I will carry on with the second one now...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

That was quick! Just checked it out in the gallery. Looks very good! Very smart little plane.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1