RAF C-130J Hercules in Kenya

Parabat

RAF C-130J Hercules in Kenya November 2013.

Overflight for the BG photo, photographers in position.

DSC02840.JPG

Landing on the RE prepared airstrip

DSC02843.JPG

DSC02844.JPG

DSC02850.JPG

DSC02852.JPG

DSC02853.JPG

3 Para BG emplaning

DSC02859.JPG

DSC02860.JPG

DSC02863.JPG

Full power for take off

DSC02872.JPG

DSC02875.JPG

DSC02877.JPG

3 Para BG

Herc.jpg

• Like 12

Great photos,

Was this up near to Archers Post?

There was a jump up there in 1988, just before I was up there and a few lads landed in `sweetheart bushes' ,.....ouch! Apparently it took hours to get them out and one bloke was said to have landed in a river,...upon which the basking crocs all slid down the bank into the water,......he came out of the river dragging his chute and container behind him at Mach 10!

Happy days,.....I hope you had a great time,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Great photos,

Was this up near to Archers Post?

There was a jump up there in 1988, just before I was up there and a few lads landed in `sweetheart bushes' ,.....ouch! Apparently it took hours to get them out and one bloke was said to have landed in a river,...upon which the basking crocs all slid down the bank into the water,......he came out of the river dragging his chute and container behind him at Mach 10!

Happy days,.....I hope you had a great time,

Cheers

Tony

Yup, Archers' Post is correct. There's now a tarred road on the western edge of the training area. The RE boys (been advised they don't like being called 'fellers') cleared a DZ of the 'blasted' bushes, so not too many snagged or ripped chutes or flesh.

I don't know why, but looking at those photos makes me think of the scene in "The Wild Geese", when the mercenaries are left stranded.

Thanks guys, I'll just caveat that I didn't take the last BG shot, that was one of the photographers on the runway.

AD - there was a 30-ish foot high platform near the runway.

Nice one Parabat,

Nice to hear there is a proper road going up there now because it used to be a nightmare of a journey and you either got covered in bruises and dust or bogged in, depending on the weather. We once had a Giraffe stop our 4 tonner and then it stuck its head inside the cab through the gun position in the roof,.....it had obviously got wise to the fact it would get some compo!

I don`t know how it says `sweetheart bushes' in my post because I actually typed something which rhyme`s with `bar steward' ,....but I notice that you knew what I meant! Have you ever had those thorns in you,...ouch! We had loads in the elbows and knee`s when you are firing an manoeuvring about the place and they go septic if you don`t cut them out,...but you`ll no doubt know that.

Is Archers Post still a temporary tented camp big enough to house a Company or has it got bigger?

The most we got up there at Archers was the occasional Gazelle,.....so it is nice to see that Crab Air are playing ball now,.....are blokes who have passed P-Company finally getting on their jumps courses?.

Happy days,..thanks for stirring the memories,......just make sure you make the most of it, ....... which unit are you with,....PM me if you like?

Cheers

Tony

• 2 months later...

Parabat.

:wow: those photos are just AMAZING. ..I TOOLOVE the last one..

when I understand how to do desk top. May I ask you for your permission

to use one or two as MY desk top...

I will wait till you answer.

Once again you took ASTOUNDING shots.

:heart: