1:48 Airfix Warrior

Kallisti

At the Yeovilton show I not only headbutted the Westland Wyvern but picked up the relatively new Airfix Warrior kit and its PE accessories. Well its got bar armour so I just had to have a go didn't I? So while the Iron Man figure is undergoing priming and polishing for Alcad paint, I thought I'd start something else to keep me occupied! So here we go...

DSC_0564.JPG

Sprue shots:

DSC_0565.JPG

DSC_0568.JPG

It all looks good, next to no slash and some very finely moulded pieces. PE is on thin brass and looks excellent.

Construction starts with the interior and the PE adds a lot of detail. I'm painting as I go along as usual, using Tamiya acrylics through the airbrish and on the hairy stick - Tamiya paint on a hairy stick doesn't scare me!!!

DSC_0569.JPG

The interior is Khaki Drab and the seats are dark green, but since the material they are covered with is vinyl, I've given them a coat of Klear to get them shiny. The edges are also suitably worn as seen on the real thing.

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0572.JPG

The flooring is part of the PE and looks great. I'm adding a driver from the British Forces Vehicle Crew set, specifically the figure that is supposed to be the Jackal/Coyote driver.

DSC_0573.JPG

Legs had to go to fit him in but they won't be visible anyway. More interior shots

DSC_0574.JPG

DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

More to come...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated fora while even though work has been progressing, just not been taking photos of the construction :( Its comeing together and I must say the Photetch set is excellent, well worth the extra.

What I've also invested in is a stowage set from Paul Wade (check it out here on the Track 48 forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/thread/1392309591/Pauls+Warrior+Set+Sneaky+peek Well worth it as well, superbly moulded gear which will add a huge amount of the finished model.

The biggest problem I faced with this build was getting a decent paint for the British Desert sand colour. I don't use enamels and the MiG acrylic paint I bought was awful to use. In the end i used that paint to enable me to colour match it using a combination of Tamiya colours. Don't ask me what the proportions were but there was Desert Yellow, Buff, orange and lots of white in there to get something close - not sure I'd be able to mix it again, but made enough to complete this at least!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...