SMS Derfflinger sprue shots

Ray S

Hello all, I hope it is okay to show these photographs.

2e3skzq.jpg

I ordered this kit from dawngrocerystores (an E-Bay trader) from China on the 9th of February and it arrived on the 21st, so that was quick. I was pleased with the condition it arrived in, but as you can see, there was a small amount of damage, but the contents survived well.

idyhbn.jpg

The hull was in two long halves, the sprue is really curved, frightening in the Airfix Illustrious, but just following the hull shape this time! The long thin sections at the top and bottom are moulded torpedo nets, so no need to raid bootlaces this time!

214a6j4.jpg

The deck and base plates were good, the base had a small bend in it near one end (which was at the opposite end of the box damage, and there was quite a curve at one end of the deck, but that was for real.

2aj4z6c.jpg

There is plenty of detail on the decking.

aonkwj.jpg

w1ecno.jpg

Some of the parts are incredibly fine and small. The funnels are moulded complete, even to the framework over the top of the funnel, but I may replace it with wire when I build it.

rkdn4k.jpg

The kit has etch with it too, and it looks great to me, there does appear to be some relief detail too.

flbrwk.jpg

This version of the Derfflinger has a bonus set with it. Brass main armament barrels to replace the plastic ones, and a sight for sore eyes (or an object to give you sore eyes), a Friedrichshafen FF-33 seaplane, complete with etch accessories and a very comprehensive transfer sheet. It even has open cockpits, and by the way, I will NOT be detailing them!

2nh3uds.jpg

Two transfer sheets, one for the plane, one for the ship, including the recognition circles on the turrets.

343g3k3.jpg

The instructions look as though you will need to study them really well to understand what is going on. The paint callouts are for Mr Hobby, Tamiya and WEM Colourcoats, and finally the aircraft instructions

28i53yv.jpg

Overall, a very comprehensive package. I have to say I am really impressed with the quality of this model. I know the proof of the pudding is in the building, so I will start her soon.

This was the first time I had ordered anything from an E-Bay trader, they had been recommended by a number of posters on another forum. I found the process really easy, and fast too.

The cost? Well, how does £29.99 sound to you? Factor in that it was delivered by Royal Mail, which meant that Parcel Force did not stick £8.00 or whatever onto the cost, and I also did not have to pay any VAT on it makes it a bargain in my eyes.

If you are interested in WW1 ships, this just must be in your stash! It is also available from Freetime Hobbies from America (I think) too.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you will be tempted too.

Ray

PS on the side of the box, it is showing SMS Lutzow 1916, and there are rumours of an Agincourt too.

I've kept an eye on this release since I first caught wind of it; very tempting and it would make a great counterpart on the shelf next to Trumpeter's HMS Queen Elizabeth. Always good to see more WW1 ships on the market.