Another Lightning Conversion

I'd already been planning this before Sword decided to upstage me!! And as I had beenplanning how and why I thought I'd persevere anyway...

Its a kit bash using the new Airfix F2a and an Aeroclub vac form fuselage.......

I wanted to use as much as the hoist kit as possible, hence the butchery... Not sure which scheme to finish this T5 off in, but it may well have Binbrooks Blue Lion on the fin!!!

Started yesterday and here's how far I am by close of play tonight.

1. Airfix's F2a butchered.....

001_zps56529e86.jpg

2. Aeroclubs vac-form fuselage partly butchered....

003_zpsbaf78b8a.jpg

3.. Intake ducting built up and added to right fuselage half..

005_zps594b3d02.jpg

4. Fuselage halves joined

006_zps1811543b.jpg

5. Aeroclub's humped section has been glued togetherand supported internally with rod, Aeroclub's cockpit bulkhead and floor have been cut out and added. I have since replaced the cockpit floor to a thinner piece of card.

007_zpsc3fcb94f.jpg

6. The humped spine has been added....I'll use Milliput to fair this and the section aft of the cockpit side walls, once the wings are on...

012_zps54530d5d.jpg

Next up....

I'll be adding the nose sections and the belly tank.....

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 5

Oh no, not again lol. I've got both of these kits in the stash too but you're on your own this time Bill. I know when I'm beaten. (but you're making it look easy again and there is a little voice in my head saying I just need to cut along a few panel lines.....)

Duncan B

• Like 2

Interesting start Bill. Always felt that if you have a kit in the stash it's a shame not to use it even though there may be a better one out there.

Progress erm.....progresses..

10. The rear "cheeks" have been built up from Milliput - with a cut out for the wings

002_zpsc02df6da.jpg

003_zps2665f515.jpg

12. I had already added the belly tank,but discovered that I'd placed it a bit too far back, so I removed it and replaced it...more filler!

004_zps39deab75.jpg

13. The fuselage by close of play. I've added a bit of cockpit interior, but I'll need to prime it all in grey so I can see whats going on. The white vac form plastic is a bit too bright!!

001_zps8e144ab2.jpg

• Like 3

Inspiring Bill, you're making this look rather easy!

and that is the problem! People of limited ability like me then think they can do it, not this time though. I'm content to sit back and watch Bill at work. It is inspiring though, I now realise that with a bit of thought I can have a go at less complicated conversions by following threads like this one.

Duncan B

Not much progress, though I've managed to get some primer on - which certainly helps pick out the errors!!

The wings have been 'cut-back' to straight wing format - and additional panel lines scribed. Not glued on yet, they're just holding the fuselage up in the pic's..

002_zps0063fa84.jpg

003_zps863f9c16.jpg

• Like 1