Aero L-29 Delfín - 1:48 AMK - Complete

Mike

Hi there

This is a real nifty bit of craftsmanship you have going on here - its looking really good so far - I am looking forward to seeing it with the canopy masking removed. The wear and tear on the upper nose surface looks very convincing

Thanks :) That's because it's kind of real. It's the flaking off of the over-spray, which started off as an accidental side effect, and was embraced as "part of my plan" later on ;)

Canopy unmasking is one of my favourite tasks - putting the wheels on, not so much. That's what I've been doing this last half hour. putting the landing gear on.... :unsure:

I have a couple of bases in for review, but nothing suitable in that scale, so who knows? :shrug:

Had a little "issue" last night due to some glue seeping into my white cotton glove, which then marred the paint finish on one side of the fuselage by the nose. Oops! :doh:

I've already flatted that area down, and will be repairing the paint in a minute when I've got round to mixing up some fresh paint. It's going to need at least 2 colours, but I think I can patch paint it well enough to blend it in so it doens't look too bad. Such is life, eh? :rolleyes:

Repairs done, and I'm quite pleased with how they've come out. You can see the difference, but only if you know where to look. I've added the lay-flat nose gear door as it provides a very necessary additional strength to the nose gear mounting, which if I'm honest is way too weak. Mine snapped off at the yoke, and had to be pinned back in place with a length of 0.5mm brass rod. The yoke is also very fine, and snapped off easily while drilling out the receiving hole for the brass rod, so had to be re-glued too. The linkage between the door and leg gives a useful additional attachment point, which should assist with keeping it help in place.

She's on her own wheels now, after the aforementioned shenanigans with the nose wheel, of course. :rolleyes: The damage to the paint was sanded back smooth, a coat of slightly lightened base colour sprayed over, then the broken foot-hold decal was replaced with a strip of black cut from a spare decal. Then a coat of matt varnish. I've also glued on the gear bay doors, the fuel tanks, and a few aux. intakes I'd missed off because of their positioning on the instructions, all of which have been painted up after adding. I'm just working on the triple antenna at the tail, the T-shaped probes under the wings, and the pitots, which were nipped off early in the build to save damage. These have been drilled to receive some 0.5mm brass rod and will be attached after painting. They're currently in gloss black before I apply some alclad. Four kit parts and two bits that were removed are all that remains to be done before I'm finished :)

painting10.jpg

painting11.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks mate :) I did my favourite part of the build a little while ago - unmasking the canopy ^_^ For once, a little paint had crept under one bit of the masking on the windscreen, but as I'd used Ultimate thinners rather than Gunze's own, it was easy to scrape off with a tooth pick. I'd prepared all the small parts along the way, and tried to treat them all like little models too, detail painting them and adding weathering where appropriate, which was actually quite an enjoyable diversion. The canopy was edged with Panzer Grey and the inside frames were blocked in freehand too, to give a bit more realism to the open canopy. I won't look too close though, as it's years since I've cut a straight line with a paint brush :nerd: The canopy prop broke during clean-up, so I decided to replace it with a piece of brass rod, which I then painted once it was glued in place.

The pitot probes were blasted with some Alclad polished aluminium and glued into the pre-drilled holes, as were the T-shaped probes on the underwings. The little three-prong aerial on the rear (I forget it's function, but it's a common sight on Soviet aircraft) was primed white (Alclad as usual) and the base painted green before a little AK Rust Streaks was dotted here and there. The derelicts show quite a bit of rust here. I forgot to mention I did a bit of chipping here and there in Panzer Grey,

A really enjoyable build that was OOB with the exception of the seat belts and a couple of lengths of brass rod in various places. The Eduard PE sets are inbound as I type this, but it was meant to be a review build, so OOB suited my purpose :)

complete1.jpg

The rest of the pics can be found in RFI here. Thanks for watching. I've been Mike Williams, and plan on continuing to be so ;)

• Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A little late to this discussion, but I just got one of these nice kits in the mail today. I plan to convert mine to an L-29R reconnaissance version. I haven't decided on the camo scheme yet, but it definitely will not be natural metal.

Great build & photos, I have saved them to use as reference material, when I finally get started on my Delfin.

Larry

• 1 year later...

WOW !!

just been through this WIP and what a great build !

Really good work Mike congratulations on a great L-29.

Guy

Just to let you know that the 1/72 scale version, fully endorsed by Aero Vodochody, has been dispatched to your importers and distributors. I am sure they will all be taking preorders this week if not already.

We hope you love this Avantgarde product!

great model as well!

not only for publicity ;)

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know that the 1/72 scale version, fully endorsed by Aero Vodochody, has been dispatched to your importers and distributors. I am sure they will all be taking preorders this week if not already.

We hope you love this Avantgarde product!

The 1/72 scale one is mighty fine.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003119-aero-l-29-delfin-172-advantgarde-model-kits/

Julien