Aero L-29 Delfín - 1:48 AMK - Complete

Mike

:blush:Finally! I managed to get a bit of modelling done... thanks for the kind comments from my fellow plastic manglers :)

I've put the colour on the underside, starting with a base coat of RLM78 Light Blue (H418 in the Gunze range), which I then lightened twice adding a little tonal variation with the first layer, and then adding some weathering streaking and panel edge discolouration with the second lighter shade, using some spot-masking with Post-It notes and tape here and there, trying to keep it informal and asymmetrical. It'll get toned down a little by the time the washes go on, but I'm planning on painting her like she's been through the mill, so fading will be the name of the game. I also added the yellow wingtips, nose and tail tips using some yellow, which was masked on the underside, but sprayed freehand (and messy) on the upper side, which hasn't got any colour on it yet. The instructions show only the leading edge of the tips to be painted, but as I found a pic of this exact airframe on Airliners.net here I'm going with the full tips. The demarcation is also slightly different, staying level at the rear of the fuselage, and not clipping the air-brakes as on the instructions, so I'll make some adjustments. There also appears to be a dielectric panel on the spine that is left a pale grey on almost all the pics I've seen, so I'm also going to add that. I suspect the PE parts on the underside of the fuselage should also be grey, so I'll do some more hunting to get an underside pic.

painting1.jpg

painting2.jpg

The next job will be masking of the yellow, followed by the demarcation line, which is a very tight freehand with minimal over-spray, so I'm thinking of using some blutak rolls for those, subject to testing of course :)

• Like 2

Cheers boys :) Yeah, it's going to be well used. They look a bit dark when they're freshly painted, so a bit of bleaching will sort that out ;)

My bodged colour scheme is now on. I used H302 for the green, and after finding out the hard way that Dark Earth was a bust for the brown, I used H406 Chocolate Brown instead. Maybe not 100% accurate, but after the weathering, who can tell? :shrug: I sprayed both colours at the same time using both Infinites, which enabled me to touch in any over-spray, dodgy line positioning and get the job done quicker. Then each one was lightened twice and the colour changes started. I'm not massively happy with it, as I suspect it's overdone even for what I was trying to achieve, but I'm going to see if I can tone it down a bit later.

painting6.jpg

I've cut the National markings out of the decal sheet and am presently spraying some thinners with a touch of pale grey over them in very fine misted layers to try and tone them down a bit. For a worn out aircraft, they're a tad bright :coolio:

• Like 4

Looking good Mike. Been out in the sun a bit and could do with a t-cut and polish - get the ground crew off the vodka and back to work!

I took a tool from my AFV painting arsenal and gave her a coat of Mig tan filter for tritonal camo, which both toned down the contrast a little, and gave it a slightly dusty appearance in places. Happy with that, I glosed her up with a bit of Alclad Aqua Gloss, the put the decals on. I over-sprayed the decals with some tan and grey in a very weak mix beforehand to take the vibrance out of the colours, which has worked reasonably well, but it started to come off while I was wrangling the anti-glare panel on the nose. Instead of freaking out, I embraced it and took most of it off, leaving the occasional bit in place, so it looks like it's either been scuffed, chipped or patched at some point. There aren't many decals for this scheme, and they went down fairly well. The national markings were a bit thick because of the over-spray, but overall they've gone on ok. Here's a quick pic of the results.

painting7.jpg

Another coat of gloss will go on later to reduce the appearance of the carrier film, and then I'll be looking at a panel line wash, followed by matting her down for a bit more weathering. After that it's final construction of the small parts, and whatever else breaks off during that part! :)

• Like 6

Thanks men with surnames beginning with B :)

Danny - the filters are just a very dilute enamel wash, and you simply load a flat brush with some, then brush it out over the surface. Don't over-brush it, or you'll ruin the effect, and only use it on acrylic surfaces, as enamel or lacquer will start to melt. The only thing you have to do is watch you don't get any drips in hard to reach surfaces. I use them from time-to-time on my armour, but only occasionally on aircraft, and then only for well weathered airframes, or when I want to try and "blend" the colours together a little. Choosing the right colour is the bigger headache, as there is a choice of so many :wacko:

• Like 1

Very nice and inspiring! I am also working on an old L-29 from KP 1/72. Yout build is being really helpful in terms of the the scratch building I am making on mine. Will post some pics soon! ;)

Best regards,

Alex

Edited by Gaia1984

Thanks chaps. I used some of Ultimate Products Dark Dirt wash to highlight (lowlight?) the panels, and I'm a fan. It goes on easily, just remember to agitate it between brushes, and the excess wipes off easily too, with a piece of moist kitchen towel or a cotton bud. Once that was done it was time to put on the matt coat, which on this occasion I dug out my old Xtracrylix matt varnish, to which I added a stainless steel ball-bearing before I embarked on a mammoth agitation session. Diluted with a little distilled water, it sprayed on nicely and gave the requisite matt effect. I actually overdid it a little on purpose to help with the weathered effect on the paintwork a little. Here are a couple of pics:

painting8.jpg

painting9.jpg

• Like 6