ACE GAZ-67B 1/72

Hello all, long time lurker but first time posting an 'in progress'. This is my first 'ACE' kit, and in fact I have done no research about this subject at all. The kit was a gift from my good friend Procopius, and I thought: "What the hay?"

​Before I read the box, I had no idea this thing existed.

Based on the instructions, I'm going with a post war version, and model it with...something. Maybe a T-34 or my T-55.

Anyways, the kit has all kinds of fiddly photo-etch which I've never had great luck with. Currently I cut out the radiator

​core in anticipation of a PE replacement and looking forward in the (two-steps of the) directions. Apparently you're also supposed

to cut of the front bumper, bend a piece of PE and glue it on the frame rails... I'll wait to see if I can get the PE bumper anywhere

near correct before I start cutting.

Anyways, PICTURES!

The awe inspiring box top...

gazbox1.jpg

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how I was going to cut the radator core out. It was fairly thick, and I didn't have nearly enough blades to try to cut it out. Yay pin vise!

grill.jpg

And the cleared out core ready for some sweet, sweet brass goodness...

grill.jpg

• Like 1

So I had a post all but done last night, and accidentally closed the browser window...

Anyways, I started with the photoetch last night, something that I have, for all intents and purposes never done. So why not start with an incredibly small fret to learn with? :/

20140218_213029.jpg

It was kinda nice using all the learnings I've stuck in my brain from reading Finescale and forums over the years in regards to PE.

So I stuck the fret in a baggie and cut out the radiator core, and to my surprise it actually worked in stopping the piece from flying away.

So feeling flush with my success I decided to try the hardest piece in the kit: the front bumper. Needing to bent on two folds to make a 'C' shape I figured I would use the two razor blade technique.

20140218_215359.jpg

Totally didn't work. The bends were so close to the end that it was nearly impossible to get enough force and leverage to bend. The blades would just slip (not nerve-racking AT ALL...)

So, frustrated I looked around my messy desk to find something to use as a bender. Tweezers? Too small. Scissors? They would just slip. A hammer? Good for putting me out of my misery, but not with PE. Games Workshop hobby vice? Nah, just another piece of

over-priced plastic. Weird medical thingys my wife game me? Hmmm. Turns out they are forceps and the prongs have just enough thickness to grab the PE without slipping and get enough force to actually bend the PE. The bends weren't perfect and the legs of the 'C' are kind of wavy, but... The scale is small and I'm not sure it will be noticeable. Besides I had an old F250 with a similar bumper that was all dented and warped, so I figure a vehicle like the GAZ could easily have those imperfections in its bumper.

20140218_220447.jpg

Deciding to go out on a high note ala George Costanza, I called it a night.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Much Progress. I just forgot to photo-document it. I have the 3 major sub-assemblies done, and the interior bucket is primed 4BO green. I still need the subassemblies together and add the final greeblies and PE.

And yes, the PE is tiny. I didn't bother putting in the PE pedals and some of the other stuff.

It's an interesting kit and it's definitely pushed my boundaries as a modeler. But I'll be happy when it is done.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, it's only been...5 months. It's actually kind of funny that this thread is the third result for GAZ-67 on Google.

It's a hella-finicky kit that makes it hard for me to do anything on. Most of the major assembly is done, I just have the tiny and ill fitting handrails and other finicky to put on.

I ended up not bothering to put the acetate in the windshield and I omitted the pedals due to their size and inability to be seen once everything was put together.

The frame and chassis tub didn't fit smoothly either, but I was able to get most of the visible seems in the wheel wells where some over-scale mud weathering will hopefully hide them. I painted the tub Vallejo Air Russian green, but most of the pictures I've seen have a brighter, greener-green color. Though I'm sure the typical Soviet era rule of 'Any green as long as it's green' will work.

ba35a368-2aa9-4da9-bca0-1c91ada14fe2.jpg

Edited by Mak_the_Knife
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just over 13 months... Nothing like keeping a timely build schedule, eh?

Anyways this kit sucked my life out. I just sat it on a shelf to be forgotten. However, I'm trying to finish stuff I start—even if it's a rough and tumble sort of finish—so here we go!

IMG_2997.jpg

THAT'S why I put it away.

IMG_2998.jpg

Trying to file the attachment point would cause this headlight bezel ring to go flying into the nothingness between dimensions

IMG_2999.jpg

Assembly is DONE. Note the one headlight bezel. Will teach me to attach the first one and then hope I don't loose the second one... Tires have been left off for painting.

I have some Ammo by MiG Russian green of some sort that I'll paint this. Probably this weekend. I already painted the interior (I have no idea why) with Vallejo Russian something green.

Yea, so I'm not a huge fan of ACE kits...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...