3D printing for after-market 'resin' components

Beardylong

Martin's post illustrated well my view of the technology: there's too much confusion about 3D printing and too many seem to forget the differences between the various techniques available and the different capabilities of the machines on the market. High end machines can do impressive things, but are not affordable for the general public. Low end machines may look fantastic but we modellers are used to a much higher level of finess in the parts of our kits. Sure with technology evolving fast, in a few years even the low end machines may print at better resolutions, but will these be high enough for modelling purposes ? And what about the material stability issues mentioned by Regulus ? This could be another serious problem. To draw a parallel with a similar product, printers today have evolved a lot however books are still printed on something different from my home laser or inkject printer. And high quality pictures are printed with different techniques again.

Personally I'm looking into buying a 3D printer sometime next year but with a clear understanding of the limitations. To me it would serve as a tool to produce rough masters on which work will be needed to achieve the desired final result. And I'm not thinking of highly detailed things like cockpits here, but more of airframe parts (intake trunkings, radomes) where the resolution problem can be sorted with some good old fashioned filling and sanding....

The point about price is a good one. I think we'll see mainstream injection-moulding continue for a long time yet, while after-market parts will be first to embrace high-quality printing. A single expensive printout will include a good number of parts, to help keep the individual cost down, just like injection moulding except that each printout can be a different mix of parts so low volumes don't skyrocket in cost. A supplier might have hundreds of parts available but would only select and swap in the unusual one-offs once an order was received.

I would not buy a medium-quality 3D part unless a: it was a simple enough shape to smooth down without loss of detail and b: there was no moulded (resin or similar) equivalent available.

But way ahead of my 3D plans is a 2D printer that does white ink so I can print proper custom decals. I can scatchbuild parts when I must but I cannot hand-paint my own decals well. These printers currently cost around the same as a mid-priced 3D printer, but I am hoping the prices will fall a bit faster.

Edited by steelpillow
  • Like 1

But way ahead of my 3D plans is a 2D printer that does white ink so I can print proper custom decals. I can scatchbuild parts when I must but I cannot hand-paint my own decals well. These printers currently cost around the same as a mid-priced 3D printer, but I am hoping the prices will fall a bit faster.

Not sure I'd hold my breath. The problem with printers capable of printing white is that they are aimed at the "professional" market and this is not going to absorb the same numbers we see for home printers. When Alps launched their printers many years ago everybody looked excited about being able to print white (and metallics too) but in reality relatively few people were interested enough to turn their printers into a success. Professional products are always going to cost more than those aimed at the mass market

Personally I'm looking into a couple of local businesses who can print white decals with decent prices, may be the easiest solution for the moment

• 3 months later...

I have been getting involved in 3D printing quite a bit recently, and have done some 3D printing for one member on here, but I'm more interested in the design side and have been dabbling the past couple of months with Rhino5 and T-Splines, I'm certainly no expert but having fun all the same, seeing your own work on the computer screen being printed on a 3D printer is very eye opening to what the future holds, these are a couple of others I have done, just basic modelling really but the printed outcome on our SYS Object printer at 20 microns was excellent and only required minor surface sanding, the process is slow though at this fine micron count as this particular printer prints liquid resin and a support material at the same time, the support material is just a waxy material that keeps the resin in shape as each layer is printed

By the way these are for my 1/72 Vickers Viscount if anyone was wondering

prop1_zpshhuolmiq.jpg

prop_zpszhwytc9s.jpg

wheel2_zps6hba0tt6.jpg

wheel1_zpsbcr7q2le.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Radleigh,Nice photo, I will have to get you to do some professional photos of my models as mine never come out great

Just to add that the 3D printing artwork is for my Viscount not the Vanguard that I will be doing later.

• Like 1