Trumpeter 1:700 Liberty Ship ~~ FINISHED ~~

Wow! so small!

I will admit I did get distracted painting one of my many zombies last night.

Is that Zombicide you are painting?

• Like 1

Another update. Not that you would believe it but the deck has had a coat of grey applied.

12997033664_12ee9783c3_b.jpg
IMG_3608 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
The lower hull has had a coat of Model Colour 985 Hull Red. I'm not sure on this as it seems a tad too brown in my eyes.
12997032024_f61578ec45_b.jpg
IMG_3609 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
Another edition to the family.
12996757703_5c438cdac2_b.jpg
IMG_3611 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
  • Like 2

Thanks guys

Nice build,Im really thinking hard about buying/building a couple. I never sailed on a "Sam"boat but came close with a modified Canadian "Park".

A suggestion if I may (not a criticism) the hatch battons really need a reduction. :thumbsup2:

It has been a fun build. This defiantly wont be my last small scale boat.

Hatch battons??? I'm not going to change anything at this stage due to my lack of knowledge on the subject.

The raised lines over the hatches are supposed to be metal battons. The Sam boat hatches were tarp covered and not sectioned metal lids like the later " macgreggor hatches". The battons held the tarps as well as the side bars and wedges. :captain: .

• Like 1

The raised lines over the hatches are supposed to be metal battons. The Sam boat hatches were tarp covered and not sectioned metal lids like the later " macgreggor hatches". The battons held the tarps as well as the side bars and wedges. :captain: .

Is that the same on all 'Sam' boats, my dad sailed on Samoa, and when I come to build my 1/350 version it's her I'd like to represent.

Love the build so far snapper city

Happy modelling

Ant

• Like 1

Im pretty sure it is Ant. Every one I have seen had "hatch tarps". To have the rolling steel lid the ship basically needed a lid pit,usually under a mast house. Every Sam boat Ive seen had winches at deck level with no pits.

I may not have described this to well ( its hard to explain to a " landlubber lol ) so would suggest you google one of the many liberty boat sites where you may find some decent pics.

If you can compare a photo of a Liberty boat to a SD-14 Liberty replacement you'll see what Im trying to say.

If you dont find them give me a pm and Ill try to explain better.

:captain:

This morning I painted the black and I think this is starting to look quite smart. I have the deck clutter to paint and a couple of other bits then it will be ready for a coat of Klear. Next weekend will be my next chance to work on this...

13057448354_c3138bc52d_b.jpg
IMG_3635 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
  • Like 3

Small update today. I have given everything apart from the deck a coat of Quickshine (Klear alternative). The deck details are 3/4 through painting which I hope to finish tomorrow morning before a coat of QS for the deck. I am looking forward to weathering this and have picked up a bottle of Streaking Grime & Deck Wash from Sprue Brothers at Southern Expo last Saturday.

13230058245_39f2b9c4e9_b.jpg
IMG_3637 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
13230056775_95da8d245a_b.jpg
IMG_3638 by Snapper_city, on Flickr
  • Like 3