Bristol Fighter F2b Palestine

TerryJones

R T “Dick” Challinor and his pilot, Fred Haigh, were captured in May 1918 when they attempted to land next to another AFC Bristol that had been forced down with a damaged engine after a dogfight with a German fighter. Haigh apparently had asked Challinor whether they should attempt it – Challinor yelled “No, we’re sure to crash”. With the engine roaring, Haigh thought he said “Ok, let’s give it a bash”!! They landed well, the other pilot and observer held on to the wing struts but on takeoff, they hit some rocks and all 4 ended up being captured by Turkish cavalry.

32728cb4-8043-40b6-8c6c-a3801b8be8fc_zps

756ae923-8ef1-4591-aede-70146234a0d7_zps

Cheers,

Terry

• Like 5

Terry,

IMPRESSIVELY painted..

The gunner waving shows a human touch ...nice ....especially against the barren land below...

The pilot is smart and his eyes appear to be saying I have something on my mind and his face is open to his emotions..

Super. SUPER painting.

:heart::wow:

Thanks guys :) I missed a bit of information on the write up, the portrait is Dick Challenor, the painting was commissioned by a really nice Australian guy who knew him many years ago and is the proud owner of his wings. Challenor didn't have any family when he died so my client wanted to pay him a tribute.

Cheers,

Terry

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry to have missed the painting before you removed it but having looked through your website you are a very talented chap,

Keep up the good work,

Tony

• 3 weeks later...