Never-before-released video footage of Avro Arrow

Space Ranger

One of the coolest things to come out of Canada! Thanks for putting the link up.

Martin

The beer is pretty cool too !

:)

Phew!

Thanks Woody; I thought it was just me!

Looked like Canada's version of our Javelin in my opinion - a slab of solid metal with no aerodynamic finesse, which was only capable of flying due to brute force and ignorance.

Sorry chaps.

I, too, shall get my coat.

The Arrow actually incorporated a whole host of extremely novel innovations; early fly by wire, rudimentary flight stability systems, very high pressure hydraulics. It also utilizes area rule, non-cellulose composites, and a bunch of other technologies in their infancy. It might not look very advanced but it was for the time... it came with an absolutely astronomical price tag that canada could not afford.

I've been watching the CBC film "The Arrow" on You Tube. I daresay it takes a few liberties with historical fact for the sake of dramatic effect, but it's a fascinating story.

In many ways it's a sadder story than that of the TSR2. The impression I get (and Canadian's will correct me if I am wrong) is that AVRO Canada was taking a massive step forward from building other people's desings (and the useful, but unexciting CF100) to being at the forefront of aviation design and production. When the plug was pulled thoudsands lost their jobs and any aspirations of being a leading aircraft manufacturer went with them. The TSR2 story is similar - brand new airframe, brand new engine, untried techonology - but Britain was already at the forefront of aviation production and using resources it already had. The cancellation of TSR2 was another step (a big one, granted) in an overall decline.

I've been watching the CBC film "The Arrow" on You Tube. I daresay it takes a few liberties with historical fact for the sake of dramatic effect, but it's a fascinating story.

In many ways it's a sadder story than that of the TSR2. The impression I get (and Canadian's will correct me if I am wrong) is that AVRO Canada was taking a massive step forward from building other people's desings (and the useful, but unexciting CF100) to being at the forefront of aviation design and production. When the plug was pulled thoudsands lost their jobs and any aspirations of being a leading aircraft manufacturer went with them. The TSR2 story is similar - brand new airframe, brand new engine, untried techonology - but Britain was already at the forefront of aviation production and using resources it already had. The cancellation of TSR2 was another step (a big one, granted) in an overall decline.

Not quite true (especially the movie, but that's for another day.)

Avro was always the more R&D focused of the two major canadian manufacturers. They did not licence produce any aircraft at all, rather they produced everything in-house. It did not go well. The reality is that Avro was not a well run enterprise at all. It was poorly managed and heavily dependent on Canadian government funding, with pretty mediocre results. The RCAF was not happy with the cost they paid for the CF-100, and the delays in its production. For its end, Avro produced less than 700 aircraft from 1945 to 1960, the vast majority being the CF-100.

The counterpoint was Canadair, which pursued a much more conservative strategy of taking current designs and improving them. It started with the North Star: a DC-4 with Merlin Engine. Then there was the famous Sabre 4: a noticeable improvement over the North American F-86. It produced over 3000 aircraft between 1945 to 1970. It also had a robust civillian and export business, which continues on today as the core of Bombardier Aerospace. It produced over a dozen designs in large numbers before being nationalized in 1975.

Its kinda sad actually... everybody talks about Avro, when the real heart of Canada's aviation industry during this period was, and still is, Canadair.

Edited by -Neu-