Bedford MK GS & Ptarmigan Radio Relay - Airfix 1:76

C&WR

Cheers, hootch. I'm now waiting for a small stack of supplies from Squires Tools so I can get on. I may make up a mock up in card if the bits I need don't arrive soon, this could serve as a template!

I've also now started on my 1/35 Chieftain. Part of the point of these little kits had been to get the confidence up for that, but they've become a mission in their own right...

Cheers, hootch. I'm now waiting for a small stack of supplies from Squires Tools so I can get on. I may make up a mock up in card if the bits I need don't arrive soon, this could serve as a template!

I've also now started on my 1/35 Chieftain. Part of the point of these little kits had been to get the confidence up for that, but they've become a mission in their own right...

The Chieftain is a nice model, I'm ex Royal Tank Regiment as well as Royal Signals lol

Nick

Once I have some good progress to show I'll get a WIP up here, Nick. I went 5 INNIS DG to the R Signals (V) hence my choice of builds!

I'm delighted to say another package arrived from Squires, so I now have the majority of the bits I need for the Ptarmigan truck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just noticed this! And I am very interested being a Tele Op (RR) myself! I spent three years in Blandford as a relay instructor at SYSEX. Has there been any progress? Oh and just for good measure SCAM stands for standalone compressed air mast, heads refer to band heads of which there were six in a Radio Relay (Wheeled) trunk. There were four bands used, 1-4 ranging in frequency from 225Mhz to 4.99995 Ghz and each band had it's own TxRx or band head apart from band 4 which was SHF and had a standalone set which could be removed and remoted from the det. As for security clearance you have never had to be DV or developed vetting to work with Ptarmigan, some of the handbags or Tele Op (Sys) blokes would have DV vetting but mainly because they were crypto custodians.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Acky. The old brain must be going a bit - I was convinced my version was correct for the mast! I also plead ignorance over the heads and am grateful for your input as it was a long time ago and I spent relatively little time on the Trunk stuff myself.

I haven't yet started on the kitbash. I was waiting for ages for some supplies I needed & when they turned up I had started my Chieftain. It is likely to be next up, though, I have made some drawings although I fear it will be more a representation of a RR Det rather than a true replica!

I've just discovered Kingfisher Miniatures who do a 1/76 16/24 and trailer. I am very, very tempted...

• 2 weeks later...

Well here goes. A rare free Saturday and Sunray has taken Sunray Minor to a birthday party. It's raining, so I'm not doign any gardening.

First up I started making the cages which held the heads and sat over the generators. These are made of styrene strip, some perforated etched metal, and styrene tread plate:

IMG_3001.JPG

I then glued some strip to pieces of styrene rod to represent the poles stored transversely across the head cage on the cab side. The strip bends nicely when it has had enough cement put on it & left to soften:

IMG_3003.JPG:

Looks good mate, the antenna cage had chequer plate flooring with non slip paint (or NATO IRR green mixed with sand/spillsorb if we didn't have any prior to RSIT!) with spigots strategically placed for storing the antennas themselves. Not that I ever used them apart from the SHF high gain, I had to get my exhausts and 5L oil can for the 3.5Kva gennies in there too! Don't forget the mast adaptor stowage and Racal mast on the front!

Quick shot of how I hold the styrene strip round the rod. These Lakeland duvet pegs are a Godsend:

IMG_3004.JPG

What I am trying to achieve is something like this. This version has a later model generator, but the rest is as I remember:

Ptarmigan%2520Truck.jpg

And here it is. I'm a bit concerned it's to tall, but I am working from reference pictures, memory & guesswork:

IMG_3005.JPG

Now to build the box body!

• Like 1

Looks good mate, the antenna cage had chequer plate flooring with non slip paint (or NATO IRR green mixed with sand/spillsorb if we didn't have any prior to RSIT!) with spigots strategically placed for storing the antennas themselves. Not that I ever used them apart from the SHF high gain, I had to get my exhausts and 5L oil can for the 3.5Kva gennies in there too! Don't forget the mast adaptor stowage and Racal mast on the front!

Thanks, Acky. I wish I'd waited for you to be around - I've done the floor of the cage in mesh. Still, no one ill see once it's painted. Are the rods I've put across the cage the Racal mast? I don't remember using it!

Had a bit more time than I thought today. Made up the box body so far:

IMG_3008.JPG

Italian soldier courtesy of Sunray Minor who has been spending his birthday money on Airfix troops. Chip off the old block! Front view:

IMG_3007.JPG

Afraid the cabin is a bit short. I think it's because I got the proportions wrong by making it too tall, the knock-on effect is that it would hang too far over the back if I made it less of a cube.

I`m another ex Scaley (I transferred in) having been a Rad Op at 244, 249 (Oh dear! Taff George!) and 19 before leaving due to old parachuting injuries getting worse. I managed to stay away from Ptarmigan but don`t forget to put a kettle in there somewhere!

Keep up the good work,

Tony

Cheers, Tony! I was only a Reservist as R Signals, with 35 Sig Regt & 39 Sig Regt, although the latter was more Squadron based & I was Middlesex Yeomanry. The stable belt & tie were almost the same as the Skins so it made sense. If you were Airborne signals did you know Olly C (surname like a kind of soup)? He was my PSI for a while, was blamed for my beret shaping, told off for spending all his time with my Troop, and had eternal battles about his Pegasus belt buckle.

Afraid the det is going to be buttoned up so insides not visible. There will be a kettle inside in spirit, anyway..

Cheers, Tony! I was only a Reservist as R Signals, with 35 Sig Regt & 39 Sig Regt, although the latter was more Squadron based & I was Middlesex Yeomanry. The stable belt & tie were almost the same as the Skins so it made sense. If you were Airborne signals did you know Olly C (surname like a kind of soup)? He was my PSI for a while, was blamed for my beret shaping, told off for spending all his time with my Troop, and had eternal battles about his Pegasus belt buckle.

Afraid the det is going to be buttoned up so insides not visible. There will be a kettle inside in spirit, anyway..

I know Olly Cam**** very well, he was my TP Ssgt at 14 Sigs back in 1998, he was an instructor at 264 Sig Sqn before coming into our Sqn. He left the Army at the same time as myself and we did a load resettlement courses together.

Small world indeed !

Dan

Small world indeed. I certainly remember him as a really decent bloke who looked after me well - I had been Commissioned a few years, but was still a bit wet behind the ears when it came to signalling stuff having only used VHF Tp/Regt level comms before.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny you should mention that, Acky. I've been really held up on several projects because of work events and also because of a lack of various things I need to get on. The lack of stuff is the only reason I have more than one job on the go in the first place, I like to finish things rather than have half-done work lying about, but can't bear not to be doing something.

I did actually add a couple of bits to the Det last night:

IMG_3067.JPG

Cable drums on the cage are made out of poppers/press studs. These will do as I'm trying to give an impression, not be hyper-accurate. The SCAM 12 is made up of various bits of styrene. I cannot tell you what fun the brackets were to cut out and fix! Again the bit of rod sticking out of the top is to hold up the cover, not as an accurate representation of the mast segments.

• Like 1

Those vents/extractors covers were a pain in real life. For some reason I forget, we had to cut all the sealant off,unbolt,then remove/refit and reseal. The cabs were built at Marshalls Motor Bodies,Cambridge and I've already said (probably!)we were just fitting out the "empty box". Yours is looking good!

On reflection it could have been a filter spec. change.

• 9 months later...

It's been a while. I finally decided to cut a few bits of styrene to make the 3.5's under the cage. They went like this:

IMG_3774.JPG

Blast, they're a bit small, but here's the other side:

IMG_3775.JPG

Right, let's give it a spray:

IMG_3776.JPG

Blast, will need to strip this right back!

• Like 2