Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom FGR.2

Right, I reckon this complete enough to post here, theres still a few bits to fit but only small ones. This kit languished on the shelf of doom for a while until I saw some pics of an FGR.2 built by "Arkady72" which spurred me on to complete it. I used the following:

Model Alliance decals
Aires cockpit detail set (real pain to get to fit)
Verlinden seats
Mr color (gunze) paint

el3q.jpg
oy9u.jpg
o4db.jpg
chdc.jpg
yach.jpg
neqh.jpg
7s68.jpg
cjg4.jpg
2hpt.jpg
fqi6.jpg
i1oi.jpg

Got a problem here boys, it appears ALL my images have disappeared form imagshack. I'm currently trying to get them back.

Edited by rainstel109
  • Like 17

That is something very special, great paintwork. I think Artur will be very pleased to have inspired you enough to produce that beauty.

How much did you lighten the colours by, they look just like a well used Toom should?

Duncan B (hoping, one day to produce a Toom half as good as this one)

That is something very special, great paintwork. I think Artur will be very pleased to have inspired you enough to produce that beauty.

How much did you lighten the colours by, they look just like a well used Toom should?

Duncan B (hoping, one day to produce a Toom half as good as this one)

Well seeing as me photo skills are virtually non existent, the shading doesn't show up very well in the pics. I just laid down the basic colors, then post shaded in lightened and darkened shades of the same paint, then oversprayed again to lessen the effect as it has a tendency to end up looking overdone. I then attacked it with very dark brown and white pigment powders from Florymodels. I did all the green and grey freehand due to the amount of post shading would tend to damage any really fine faded demarcation lines between the two colors

Incidentally, this kit is the Royal Navy version done by Hasegawa and half way through the build I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to do it as an RAF versh. I picked up another two of the RAF kits from the bay of E as I fancy having a go at an all grey one in the future and mybe an FGR.1

Edited by rainstel109

That's one fine Phantom. Great paint work, lightening for scale effect and weathering.

Great Job! :mike:

Edited by blueliner

Well seeing as me photo skills are virtually non existent, the shading doesn't show up very well in the pics. I just laid down the basic colors, then post shaded in lightened and darkened shades of the same paint, then oversprayed again to lessen the effect as it has a tendency to end up looking overdone. I then attacked it with very dark brown and white pigment powders from Florymodels. I did all the green and grey freehand due to the amount of post shading would tend to damage any really fine faded demarcation lines between the two colors

Incidentally, this kit is the Royal Navy version done by Hasegawa and half way through the build I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to do it as an RAF versh. I picked up another two of the RAF kits from the bay of E as I fancy having a go at an all grey one in the future and mybe an FGR.1

I think the photos are very well taken too.

Remember to add the ILS aerials to the fin (unless you know they weren't fitted to this airframe at the time) as the RAF aircraft mostly got them fitted at the same time as the RWR, whereas the FG1's while in FAA use only had the RWR. Nothing is ever that straightforward though as we did have a couple of Tooms at Leuchars that had the ILS but no RWR if I remember correctly it might have been the twin stickers.

A wee dab of silver on the end of the radome would finish that off too. Great build though, I really like it.

Duncan B

I think the photos are very well taken too.

Remember to add the ILS aerials to the fin (unless you know they weren't fitted to this airframe at the time) as the RAF aircraft mostly got them fitted at the same time as the RWR, whereas the FG1's while in FAA use only had the RWR. Nothing is ever that straightforward though as we did have a couple of Tooms at Leuchars that had the ILS but no RWR if I remember correctly it might have been the twin stickers.

A wee dab of silver on the end of the radome would finish that off too. Great build though, I really like it.

Duncan B

Yep, I've got the ILS antennae in the box drying off as I type this ready to be fitted. One question though mate could you let me know if these ILS aerials were white, grey or green in color as some pics I've seen show these items being a very pale grey or white and some models display them as camo color?

Yep, I've got the ILS antennae in the box drying off as I type this ready to be fitted. One question though mate could you let me know if these ILS aerials were white, grey or green in color as some pics I've seen show these items being a very pale grey or white and some models display them as camo color?

Very light grey or white as I remember. (Unlike Black Mike's there in my avatar picture)

Duncan B

Edit: But I can only find photos showing them to be the camo colours so my mind could be playing tricks on me, best check plenty photos.