Academy 1/72nd P-39Q - Soviet Ace

Just to prove that I occasionally complete models, and not just natter on about them, below please find photographs of my latest completed model. As the title indicates, this is the nice little Academy P-39N/Q in 1/72nd scale. I have finished it as a P-39Q in the markings of Grigoriy Andreyevich Rechkalov, the third-ranking Soviet ace, twice a Hero of the Soviet Union, with some 56 victories, most of them on the "Kobra". The kit went together very easily, with little or no filling needed, and I think it looks the part of an Airacobra. I chose to weather this a little, but not too much, as this was a Hero of the Soviet Union's aeroplane, and in pretty good nick from the photographs I've seen. An attractive little aircraft, and it looks nice next to one of my Shturmovik's. I realise the photographs aren't brilliant, but neither is the camera nor the photographer. Positive comments are of course welcome, whilst negative comments will be dealt with by the appropriate verbal abuse! Please enjoy (I hope I didn't make too much of a muddle of it)!

Best Regards,

Tovarish Jason

CIMG0490_zps9fc1d0a9.jpg

CIMG0494_zpscfec400d.jpg

CIMG0495_zpsa75897f3.jpg

CIMG0491_zps50fad1c4.jpg

CIMG0486_zps522d7151.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice, seems the Russians made better use of the Airacobra than other nations

Thank you very much! And yes, the Soviets had quite a bit of success with them. They couldn't get enough of them. They found them to be very good at low altitude fighting, and that 37mm cannon packed a huge punch, able to cripple any bomber and destroy any fighter with just one hit. The Soviets liked to have a few big guns in the nose for their fighters, like the Yak-9T - one .50 calibre gun and a 37mm cannon in the nose. The P-39, with two .50 calibre guns and the 37mm cannon in the nose fit the bill nicely.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Nice model Jason :worthy:

Apparently, the Soviets liked the P-39 so much that the P-63 Kingcobra was pretty much designed to their specs.....

Or - at least they had a lot of input into its design.

So I have read......

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Nice Cobra. I've never built one but yours looks great. I think I know what the next addition to the stash is.

Interesting aircraft and great build and scheme. Well done