DH 16 help needed

Tom Cobbley

I am planning a DH9a to DH 16 project. So far I have found good photographs on the net which explain a lot but only one basic drawing which appears to be taken from the Putnam publication. I am trying to understand how the original was converted, there is mention of a new 'wider' fuselage, the photographs appear to show the same width at the undercarriage but perhaps the taper starting further back. Is there a good published drawing of this aircraft which show the changes to the fuselage anound the cabin and engine? All help gratefully received .

Hi Tom,

Interesting project! I am planning the same for... someday.

I think you are right about the taper starting aft of the passenger cabin. One way to be sure is to compare Ninak and RR engined DH16 photos to see if there is any difference in the exhaust protruding.

Putnam has a drawing of RR engined DH16, "De Havilland The Golden Years 1919-1939" has one with Napier. Let me know if you need scans of any of these.

Sorry, not great help.

Thinking on this, may be the difference in span between both aircraft (45' 11" against 46' 7/8", or 17.5 cm) corresponds to a difference in fuselage width. It would be stupid to make new outer wing panels less than 3 inch bigger with so many DH9a parts around.

Carlos

Thank you Carlos. I have the Putman book but the drawing is a bit too small scale for me, but I hadnt seen the " Golden Years " book. Thanks for the tip.Time for another search on Abe books.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my list, Wingspan of March 1989 had an Alf Granger 3-view of the D.H.16. I may have the wrong month, but it'll be somewhere around there. The D.H.16 conversion is on my (very long) list of things I plan to do one day.

3-foot Pete