YF-23 Hobbyboss monster

Hello Gents,

Here is my finished YF-23 from Hobbyboss. Its 1/48 scale with a new ejector sear, plus the brilliant Caracal decals. A joy to build.

C & C Welcome.

12304934905_3c629af265.jpg

SONY DSC by tonyrichard24759, on Flickr

12305101433_bdaf2d8ec9.jpg

12305528606_3e41f26d01.jpg

12304929645_edb52ab59d.jpg

• Like 11

Such a lovely looking aircraft, I wonder how much it would've changed before entering service?

How did you find the kit to build?

Smooth surfaces of your aircraft afe very beauty and looks very realistic ! Very interesting ! Original idea. Completely different like main stream. But very near to reality.

Edited by spiton

Hello F-32,

The build was fairly simple, the only real criticism was the light engraving on the kit. It was impossible to put a thin was into the recesses.

There was a link stating all of the mistakes with the shape on the review forum, but I altered nothing, & to be fair its not too bad. The work it would take to make it look correct are more trouble than its worth, but I've studied pictures and it isn't as smooth as you think. The only big problem that I'd tackle next time is lengthening the channel for the engines. The engine intakes aren't too bad, as you study the pictures it depends what angle the photo's are taken to what shape they look! Underside pictures are fairly thin on the ground though.

There was also some criticism of part numbers, but to be honest its low but not that bad.

I'm a fan of the aircraft, so just getting one that looks this good is fine by me. I can still remember seeing both jets on a Sunday afternoon at Edwards in Feb 1993 parked up in the secure NASA compound after loosing out to the YF-22.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Superb Effort Pedro66, I'm one of the ones who was really disappointed by the appearance of this kit's lines, especially around the wingroots, but you seem to have mastered the buildup regardless. Hat's off to an excellent model and it's builder.

I don't know if anyone has tried to use one of Eduards color F-15E cockpit placard sets (one of the downfalls of the YF-23 was that they took the cheap rout in prototyping the cockpit based on their partner McDonnell Douglas' Strike Eagle front cockpit, despite the mandatory 1/3 budget that was required to be spent on avionics development) but if so, how does it fit and does it still include Eduard's penchant for making the Dark Gull Grey look too blue?

I would also still like to see a decent weapons bay, replacement intakes and better exhausts for this kit. Since it's been almost 3 months, I suppose it's fair to state that Aires or the like are not going to be covering this model. Has anyone heard anything about AM parts for this kit?

The ACES II seat is accurate for this model but would have been rather different on the production aircraft as a function of the CREST or Crew Escape Technologies effort which would have incorporated additional fold-around shoulder webbing to help prevent flail injury in supersonic ejection conditions.

Hello Hit or Miss,

It does have its faults, but I think the reviews may put people off, I certainly thought twice about it, but its a good kit & I wish I'd seen the machine fly. The decals from Caracal are a must though, as the kits are the worst I've ever seen.

If anyone is around Peterborough this weekend I'll be putting it on display at the yearly show (along with a few others I've made) so come along, support the show, talk to the guys, & see some nice kits.

Tony