USS Tunny - 1/350 scale conversion using an AFV Club Gato

Having built the USS Grayback and Halibut - with their surface-launched cruise missiles, I thought I'd have a go at their predecessors - USS Cusk with a Loon (V1) and USS Tunny with a Regulus I.

Both are based on Gato hulls - so I dug out my AFV Club Gato kits and started on Tunny.....

The conversion is all a bit empirical - I don't have any drawings - so I'm doing it by eye from photos and making it up as I go along.

I used the AFV Club 1943 Gato for the hull - and made a deck extension (to fit the hangar) from plastic card.....cutting out the existing deck to fit it...

350_Tunny_01.jpg

The sail is taken from another AFV Club kit - this time the 'USN Guppy 1B Clas Sub' - with its distinctive 'stepped' sail.

I cast around for a something to make the cylindrical hangar - and after a fruitless serach found the answer staring me in the face!

The bulb end of a pipette was perfect for the job - I'll have to use two of them to get the open end door...... but I have plenty.

350_Tunny_02.jpg

The plastic card deck is scored to match the existing deck - the sail and hangar are just tacked in place for the photo.

I need to add the side walls to the deck extension - but it's looking do-able.

Ken

• Like 1

The Gato is my favorite WW11 sub. How long is the AFV hull?

271mm - exactly correct as the real thing is 95m long, so 95/350 = 271mm

AFV Club do 5 different Gato's - 1941, 1942 & 1943 styles, plus a GUPPY 1b and a GUPPY II

Ken

More work on Tunny..... botching as we go.....

Vertical sides of deck extension made from thin blue plastic card, held in place, marked up, limber holes drilled.

Starboards side showing middle section....

350_Tunny_03.jpg

Port side completed........

350_Tunny_04.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it so far......

Ken

• Like 1

When I put my cylindrical hangar onto the deck, I realised that it is actually recessed into the deck - so I've had to cut out a hole in my plastic card deck.......

350_Tunny_05.jpg

,,, which looks OK when the hangar is test-fitted.....

350_Tunny_06.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

The model is now painted.......(Halfords rattle cans - shush!!) ...... pennant numbers are from spare decals box...

350_Tunny_07.jpg

Scratch-building the Regulus I missile and launch rail (which is very speculative!)...

350_Tunny_08.jpg

Launch rail fitted - and missile temporarily in place....

350_Tunny_09.jpg

Ken

• Like 2