1/18 - McDD AV-8B Harrier II by Merit International - released - Trumpeter AV-8B+ boxing - released

Homebee

It also has to be remembered that this is by far the best Harrier available in 1:18 scale.

Did I mention that it is the ONLY Harrier in this scale?

It does make you realise the value of the approach that Airfix were generally credited as taking in the last century - i.e. if you are going to shape something, make it the right shape so the more ambitious modeller has got something to work with. Surely it has to be applauded that this kit exists alongside the grumbling? :shrug:

I could start on how woeful that Pegasus engine is; but I won't, because if Hobby Boss/Trumpeter/Flying Mule were to send me one I reckon I'd be pleased. (If you're reading guys, send me a pm and I'll give you the address).

Kirk

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

It does make you realise the value of the approach that Airfix were generally credited as taking in the last century - i.e. if you are going to shape something, make it the right shape so the more ambitious modeller has got something to work with. Surely it has to be applauded that this kit exists alongside the grumbling? :shrug:

I could start on how woeful that Pegasus engine is; but I won't, because if Hobby Boss/Trumpeter/Flying Mule were to send me one I reckon I'd be pleased. (If you're reading guys, send me a pm and I'll give you the address).

Kirk

With respect,  I disagree. With a price in the $200 region, I don't personally care how good the rather basic raw material is. For that kind of price I do not think it unreasonable to expect a  more sophisticated level of detail and options. I suppose it depends on your definition of "ambitious"? Each to his own I guess.

Allan

No offence taken or intended Allan. Price is one of those great intangibles though, isn't it? At $200, maybe you and I are not the target customers. Presumably, as the manufacturers of the only 1:18 Harrier, they felt that this is the price the market would bear so they could sell at least however many units they needed to break even. Whether that represents "good value" compared with a 1:32 or 1:48 offering is academic.

I picked up a 1:24 Airfix GR3 some years back for £15 new I think. Great value? Well, there's a whole bunch of missing details and the rivet treatment is far too heavy-handed for my liking. Yet I figure that one day, I'll set about combining it with the equally imperfect Heritage Aviation resin bits and bobs I have and try to wrangle it into an FA2. Sure I'll whine about stuff like why all the engine bay detail is either wrong or missing but, isn't this 'improving to our own level of satisfaction' what much of the modelling of these big kits is about? It the manufacturers put in the time it takes to consult, then address every inevitable error then we'd probably be looking at closer to $2000 than $200 - and they'd sell fewer than 1/10th the volume,  so who would give the green light to production?

Of course I have little idea of what the actual numbers are, but reckon that it might be true that these things are neither a charitable endeavour nor a clever ploy to generate some losses for tax optimisation. 

So, in my opinion, a kit is what it is - and I value major component shape accuracy way above surface detail or lack thereof.

Kirk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’m looking forward to their announced 1:18 scale F4U Corsair.

Here you go, originally released by Ultimate Soldier for their 1/18th action figure range. And a video of their F-18 Hornet which will no doubt appear as a kit .

hobbyraw_com_1334636987563.jpg

Edited by sniperUK

They also did Spitfire,109,P-51, Avenger, Sabre, Starfighter, Me 262, Tomcat, Apache, Blackhawk, Littlebird, F-16, Mig 15 , I wouldn't be surprised to see them all released in kit form at some stage, remembere these are not more than detailed toys , certainly not what you would expect as proper model kits.