1/18 - McDD AV-8B Harrier II by Merit International - released - Trumpeter AV-8B+ boxing - released

Homebee

Hi Phil

How are you?

Sorry, which bit did I get wrong? not meant to be a test to see who's awake, just fingers don't always type what brain is thinking.

"Different LERX and fire intakes (B has 65%, Plus has 100% + intakes on LERX)"

AV-8B II (the original model) had the 65% LERX only.

AV-8B II Night Attack (NA) - originally some had 65%, most had 100% when Change ECP 161C3 introduced production incorporation of 100% LERX on airframes 163853 through 164121 (the Night Attack aircraft). See here for an example 65% NA bird.

AV-8B II Plus had 100%

Correct, NA did not have radar.

Graham,

I'm good thanks you? Not seen many harriers from you recently...

I thought the 'box art' or marketing material was showing an Night Attack variant, where as the model seems to be a plus. In both cases I thought the US harriers only had 100% LERX and frog eyes, the 65% only being on some of the 'vanilla' AV8Bs but by the sounds of things it changed later. Did the frog eyes come in with the 100% LERX for all operators? I know it was to do with wiring but I've never thought to ask if it was user specific of not...

Are Merit planning on offering all versions in one box, in which case it would be prudent to offer both 100% and 65% LERX and associated vents.

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

The photos at the start of this thread (page 1) show AV-8B IIs - the first model, or "Day Attack" as sometimes known. If there's later art, I've not seen it. The camo scheme shown is one used by VMA-231 in Desert Storm (163662 / CG01 with the Shark's Mouth motif). The model is definitely an AV-8B II Plus.

All AV-8B II ("vanilla) had 65% LERX.

AV-8B II NA aircraft had a mixture of 65% / Frogs and 100% / Frogs, the latter in the majority. I have a few serials for the 65/Frogs, but not all.

AV-8B II Plus all had 100% LERX and Frogs.

I've no idea what Merit are planning, hence the original post by me.

I've not built any Harriers since the last one I posted - been doing other things (WW1, Egg planes) and generally hibernating from modelling, which is the general future direction - hibernation!

WOW! That is some great info. You guys know your Harriers! In all honesty, I cannot say at the moment which variant(s) will be the final outcome. That is still something we are keeping close to the chest at this time. It shouldn't be too much longer before more details are revealed however, so bear with us a little while longer. :waiting:

Your right Graham it is a Vanilla AV8B, for some reason I thought I saw the nose fairing....

Meritofficial, you're in the right place for harrier fans, some of which are very knowledgeable (more Graham than me mind!). Have you been over to the SIG site?

http://www.harriersig.org.uk

Checking it out now. Thanks for the link, tons of good stuff here! Will have to get a hold of Nick Greenall when the kit is ready.

Checking it out now. Thanks for the link, tons of good stuff here! Will have to get a hold of Nick Greenall when the kit is ready.

Come and see the Harrier SIG at SMW2014 (Hall 3) - we will be happy to try and help you out with material and suggestions, particularly if you want to turn your AV-8B II / II Plus into a GR5/7/9 sometime in the near future.

The NAs with 65% LERX but Frogeyes were analogous with the small batch of RAF GR7s with similar - later updated to 100%

What Graham says!

I nearly asked that in my post but thought I'd look stupid...if I remember correctly it's due to the routing of the wiring behind the previous fire access holes is it not?

Hi

Have you seen the book i found online ?? Its mentiioned in the thread ref the Kinetic Harrier ,Im sure that even Chocks away will find some init

http://www.shopofpha...he-21st-century

Good spot!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969925-ultimate-harrier-gr9t12-book-coming-soon/

Edited by Dave Fleming

Hi

Have you seen the book i found online ?? Its mentiioned in the thread ref the Kinetic Harrier ,Im sure that even Chocks away will find some init

http://www.shopofpha...he-21st-century

Dave, that's very good observation - but then a target, sorry tank man :winkgrin: , needs to be looking around at all times to be safe. (hat, coat, door, as they say)

Or have you come out and moved to the dark side and become a Harrier man? Good on yer! I knew you would in the end.

As it happens, I already know about the book, as I had a small bit part in helping put some of it together. SMW will be my first chance to see it complete.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/MeritIntlLtd/posts/874863952605181

Hello All,

The long wait is over the Merit 1/18 scale AV-8B USMC Harrier is on the way and should arrive mid to late August 2015. Hurry and get to your local hobby shop and place your Pre-order.

Here are the Features:

- Authentic colour decoration and markings

- synchronized positional exhaust nozzles x4

- Working landing gear

- Working main landing gear doors

- Positional auxiliary air intake covers

- Positional air to air refueling probes

- Positional horizontal tail fins

- Positional flaps on main wings

- Positional panels to show engine detail

- Removable drop tanks x2

- Removable AIM-9 Side wider missile x2

- Removable Mk-82 bombs x2

11665517_874861169272126_772410697552690

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 10:43 PM, Homebee said:

Trumpeter boxing from this kit is announced for late January 2018 - ref. 81804

Source: http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=article&a=show&id=103&l=en

Box art

5a1f6cd1a2a81_1.jpg

V.P.

This box art shows an AV-8B plus with the radar nose rather than a straight AV-8B. I assume the other variants will follow if the parts are not in the box already. GR.7/9 conversion anybody?

That's pretty unlikely.  The pre-built was only released with the radar nose, all the photos during its development only showed the radar nose, and it was never really suggested that there would be other variants coming later.  The *only* hint at anything different is the fact that they used a drawing of an AV-8B in their catalogue listing... which seems to have been a mistake rather than a hint since, as mentioned, that specific product (60027) actually turned out to be a B+.

TL;DR: it will almost certainly be an AV-8B+.  Any other variants would be a surprise, not an expectation.

17 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Wow, the recessed details look generic and basic, and the cockpit side consoles are really poor.

The Dauntless and Fw 190 share the same philosophy, big underdetailed yet expensive kits.

Which means of course that anybody requiring a bit more detail is going to have to invest in a lot of add ons which, as far as I know, don't exist yet. Pretty miserable weapons options too. Very underwhelming kit - at least on first impressions!

Allan

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Wow, the recessed details look generic and basic, and the cockpit side consoles are really poor.

The Dauntless and Fw 190 share the same philosophy, big underdetailed yet expensive kits.

These never started out as kits, rather prebuilt models /toys now being released in unbuilt form at lower prices from the company who did the original tooling .

www.flyingmule.com/products/JS-60027

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 9:25 AM, sniperUK said:

These never started out as kits, rather prebuilt models /toys now being released in unbuilt form at lower prices from the company who did the original tooling .

www.flyingmule.com/products/JS-60027

My favorite part of their disclaimer...

"In summary, with a little effort, these models can make fantastic, attention-grabbing showpieces from a reasonable viewing distance. Up close however, their more toy-like qualities will become apparent. We regret that we are unable to accept returns on these items for minor fit and finish issues."

:blahblahblah:

12 hours ago, azureglo said:

My favorite part of their disclaimer...

"In summary, with a little effort, these models can make fantastic, attention-grabbing showpieces from a reasonable viewing distance. Up close however, their more toy-like qualities will become apparent. We regret that we are unable to accept returns on these items for minor fit and finish issues."

:blahblahblah:

Well, at least they were honest about it!!

Allan