Spot of Centurion kit advise please

Derbyeomanry

This may help you .......................kit review of IDF Centurion, confirmation and pics of sprues in kit.....However, The IDF was fitted with a rather large American Diesel Engine so check out those rear decks, I think you may find that the upper hull of this kit, differs from the Centurion 5/2...........the engine required the decks raising and lengthening and a completely different deck layout.:-

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35124.html

If you need Decals for Brit Tank these can be obtained from Accurate Armour:-

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=6&subcategory=48&product=560

Good Luck

On the rear decks, the kit is engineered to build them in separately. If you look on PMMS at the review for kit 35122 (the NATO Centurion boxing) you'll see the same clutter of parts on Sprue C as are in the IDF version. That kit then provides the replacement deck as well. So, it should be possible, but I'd double-check with the kit in my hand first. Your other challenge will be working out how it all fits together without anything in the instructions. It's quite ... complicated.

This may help you .......................kit review of IDF Centurion, confirmation and pics of sprues in kit.....However, The IDF was fitted with a rather large American Diesel Engine so check out those rear decks, I think you may find that the upper hull of this kit, differs from the Centurion 5/2...........the engine required the decks raising and lengthening and a completely different deck layout.:-

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35124.html

If you need Decals for Brit Tank these can be obtained from Accurate Armour:-

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=6&subcategory=48&product=560

Good Luck

Sorry, now I know which mark your after Centurion AFV 35159 Mk5/1 should be OK

Once again, check the link

:- http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35159.html

The Aussie version will allow you to build an early Mk5 NATO vehicle.

It is armed with a 20pdr main gun rather than a 105mm main gun. If you're happy to source an aftermarket 105 barrel (there are several available), then you should be OK for a later vehicle as long as you leave off any Aussie-specific parts (such as the 100 gal rear external fuel tank). Also can't remember if it contains the bazooka plates or whether you'd need to cut some from plasticard?

Cheers,

Centaur

You can use the Aussie kit to do a British Cent and you can use the rear fuel tank as they were fitted, the tank mark was given the suffix LR when they were fitted, ie Mk5/1LR.

You may have to find some side skirt to add as the Aussie kit doesn`t come with any, but the gun barrel is ok for a Mk5, Mk5/1 or a back-dated Mk3.

You will need a 105mm barrel for a Mk5/2, Mk6, 6/1, 6/2 or 11.

The needed rear track-guards are also in the Aussie kit.

As the Dozer blade was an add on, which could be fitted to most Centurions, you could simply leave it off, with the fittings still on the glacis plate and simply declared "fitted for but not with", which had either had its blade swapped to another vehicle or it was damaged or U/S and been jettisoned. As I believe the AFV-Club kit is of a Mk.5 with Meteor engine, you should then be good to go. If you wish to retrofit it to an earlier version, I'd heartily recommend hunting down a copy of Squadron/Signal's "Centurion in Action" which provides the details on all major (and a few minor) marks and their differences.

Edited by rickshaw

• 2 weeks later...

How about the AFV's dozer Centurion -would that make any other marks without the blade?

You'll need to be a bit careful about the front fittings, such as towhooks, as these were moved on the Dozer version. However the parts are in the kit to make the variant without the Dozer blade - in fact mine came with the bits for the Aussie variant as well, as the sprue they are on contains one part needed for the Dozer variant.

I found the most perplexing thing about the kit to be the wheels and tyres. The PMMS review, mentioned above, is brilliant for lots of things and explained how this works - basically the kit tyre includes in its moulding the wheel rim, and simply is a push fit on the side of the hub. There's no guidance in the instructions and I came perilously close to sanding the hubs down to make the tyres fit which would have been a big mistake as well as a waste of effort!

Good luck, John.

Edited by John Tomlinson