Valentine Mk.I and Mk.II - 1:35 - AFV Club

Vally G

Thanks, Roger and foxy!

Before trying again with the small road wheels for the Mk.I, I thought I'd have a go at painting the tracks.

The real things appear to have been quite light in color, as can be seen in the photos below.

ValTrack2_zps0ca7b8e4.jpg

vals-eng_zps7dea17ac.jpg

I chose Gunze's Mr Metal Color Stainless after priming them with Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black. The primer went down beautifully but I can't say the same for the paint. I tried it straight, thinned, and thinned some more, but I couldn't lay down a smooth coat. In the end I had some very nasty-looking tracks which needed a few hours of going over with a stiff #2 brush to get rid of the rough finish.

But that wasn't the worst part. As you can see in the photo below, with all the handling and brushing, I managed to break the less-than-strong bond on many of the pins. :doh:

IMG_3811_zpsd1116cb8.jpg

I will do some dry-brushing with Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver on the parts of the tracks that receive wear before linking them back up again.

Kind regards and thanks for looking,

Adam

Edited by Vally G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have been really bogged down in working on the aforementioned tracks and have finally put one side's worth back together after dusting them with Mig Track Brown pigment and giving them a dry-brushing with Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver.

IMG_3897_zps95c27766.jpg

IMG_3900_zps37213143.jpg

Hope to have the other side in the same condition before the month is out. :)

Kind regards and thanks for looking,

Adam

Looking great Adam! Like the idea of leaving mostly pristine as it would be a shame to cover all your hard work - tracks look awesome. I ordered the Mk.III last week so hoping to continue with mine as soon as I get those wheeels!

Mr Burns: I am not a heavy drinker, but working on these tracks could certainly make me one!

Ian: Thanks. Looking forward to seeing more work on your Vally. How's your Jumbolino going?

Kind regards,

Adam

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

Well, she's sitting in my display cabinet,waiting for me to paint up the figures for her and dcecide what sort of diorama I might do before I can decide on what weathering is needed! Kind of thinking of placing the Matilda and Valentine together, say late-1942 in NZ, as they are both from the same HQ troop of QA Sqn.

Hi Ian,

Your RJ100 is going to have figures and be in a diorama? :)

Here at Vally Forge, I am in the process of dusting the tracks with some pigments, but they keep falling apart. It seems my gluing system is very poor.

Kind regards,

Adam

Thank you, Sgt.!

The color photo of all the Vallies in post #78 is an example of an image that has been flipped.

Kind regards,

Adam

This is coming along really nicely Adam, excellent work and can't wait to see all your efforts pay off

Oh, my Whisperjet! Sorry, thought you meant the Matilda, necer heard a BAE146 called that before! :)

Yes, she is all together now - the fuselage (Welsh Models vac-form, which I had to cut up to shorten) is ok, but far from perfect... however, I just want to get on with the build. Hoping to start main colour spraying soon.

Might start a thread in Civil?

Thank you, Paul.

Ian: Interestingly, there is no mention of the nickname Jumbolino on the English Wikipedia page for the aircraft, but it is mentioned on the French, German and Italian pages. My wife and I have flown on the aircraft a couple of times when using Swiss between Prague and Geneva, and the pilot said each time: "Welcome aboard the RJ100 Jumbolino." We love the plane, by the way.

In Valentine-land I managed to put more track links on one set than the other. Very clever. I think I will work on my Matilda for a little while.

Kind regards,

Adam

Cool - Jumbolina it is! Here in NZ, they were called Whisperjets, but us air traffic controllers called them Whimperjets - they were pretty slow and always being eaten up by B737-200s! Still, a lovely design I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Ian!

Messing around with my Matilda at the moment, but I will get back to this project eventually. :)

Kind regards,

Adam

• 1 year later...

Fascinating thread, on something I was trying to research myself, you have saved me a lot of work! Has anyone come across a picture of T1290292 as on the AFV decals? It probably has the dimpled wheels, does anyone have a spare set from the AFV kit they could sell me please?

Hi flyingdoctor,

Thank you for reminding me that I have not done any plastic modelling for a very long time. My Mk.I tracks fell apart in a few spots and I got fed up with them and turned my attention to other projects. In the meantime, some 'life issues' and non-modelling pursuits have taken precedence.

I have not come across any photos of T 1290292, but there are a few photos of T 1290295 to base your model on. Where AFV Club got T 1290292 from is anyone's guess. :shrug:

Kind regards,

Adam