Valentine Mk.I and Mk.II - 1:35 - AFV Club

Vally G

Dan and Paul: Thanks!

Ian: Ha!

Actually I am getting up the nerve to break out the Cam. Black Brown for some pre-shading. I have never done it before and am getting to grips with a new airbrush, so I am a bit apprehensive. She looks rather fetching in light grey, though, don't you think?

Kind regards,

Adam

P.S. Kakat is a Czech verb that means what you think it does! :)

Hi again,

The Mk.I is under a coat of Khaki Green #3. I did some pre-shading but you'd never know it.

The turret is just sitting atop the hull for photographic purposes.

IMG_3797_zpsd9c83928.jpg

IMG_3796_zps3c69a1cb.jpg

This is a modelling milestone for me as this is the first plastic model where I have made it past the priming stage!

Kind regards,

Adam

• Like 2

Thanks, Mark, Steve and Ian!

It is indeed the Starmer Model Color mix (1 part 822 + 1 part 888 + 7 parts 921) thinned with Vallejo's airbrush cleaner. Thinning it with their new "Airbrush Thinner" produced an interestiing solution that immediately started to separate, the dregs of course settling in the bottom of the airbrush cup and clogging up the works. I guess it's really only supposed to work with Model Air, but I thought that the idea behind Model Air was that it was formulated to use "straight up" through the airbrush? :shrug:

Kind regards,

Adam

That's annoying! Only ever used their 'airbrush thinner' with Model Air so can't comment -but would have thought the thinner would have worked across the range? Anyway, now I only use their 'cleaner' product and having much more success. Before I had to stop and clean dry paint off the airbrush tip every few minutes, with the cleaner I rarely have to do this.

Hi all,

Here are the wheels after being sprayed with Gunze Hobby Color 77 - Tire Black:

IMG_38012_zps63ee2e70.jpg

I may use something a bit lighter in the end as this color seems too dark to me.

Now I just need to figure out how I will mask them.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Like 1

Adam, everything is looking great.

If you have weathering powders, that will quickly lighten the tires up, or even one of Florys' wash products.

For a mask, try an office supply store and look for a circle template. It should have various sizes, just pick the one closest to size match and cover up the surrounding ones - instant mask.

H67010.jpg

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have a circle template, but both the road wheels and the return rollers require an in-between diameter, so I am thinking about using the circle that's a little too big and then do some touching up.

I also have some circle punches in .5 mm increments for paper modelling and may have the right size to make a mask for the return rollers. For the road wheels my circle cutter might come in handy.

Thanks for the tip regarding the weathering powders. I do have a selection handy. I am also thinking about shooting an earth-toned filter over the wheels after they are painted.

Kind regards,

Adam

Edited by Vally G

The return rollers require a mask with a 4.5 mm hole and luckily I do indeed have a punch this size, which I used to punch holes in pieces of Tamiya masking tape.

IMG_38022_zpse9048f5b.jpg

Here is the result:

IMG_3813_zpsf324834b.jpg

And here is a detail from the above photo:

IMG_3813detail_zps4292cb8b.jpg

I am pleased with the result.

Kind regards,

Adam

Edited by Vally G
  • Like 1

Thanks, Lee and Crossy!

I masked the road wheels using the same method as for the return rollers. It was more difficult especially with the smaller road wheels as they do not have a well-pronounced lip for the tape to butt up against so that you know the mask is the right diameter. The larger road wheels don't look so bad but the smaller ones will be redone.

IMG_3806_zpsc1e0f5b3.jpg

IMG_38082_zps4e29c84c.jpg

Kind regards and thanks for looking,

Adam

Edited by Vally G
  • Like 2

Thanks, Ian and Patrick!

Ian: I thought about the pin wash for the larger road wheels, but I think I will leave them alone as I have a way of making things look worse when I try to fix them. :) The smaller road wheels don't have a gap at all - couldn't try a pin wash on them even if I wanted to, so it's back onto the toothpick porcupine they go!

Kind regards,

Adam

Edited by Vally G

This is brilliant. If it was mine, I'd leave her in a factory-fresh finish so as not to obscure all that fine detail work. Maybe a very neat pin wash and - dare I say it - a bit of old-fashioned dry-brushing.

A stunning build Adam.

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

I am thinking along those lines (with maybe a filter or two and some dusty wheels/tracks) as this is my first tank and I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to weathering (or painting either for that matter). :)

Kind regards,

Adam