Hurricanes in Foreign Service

woody37

Bought these quite recently as I have a soft spot for the Hurricane but wanted to do something different than BoB. Hoping to make a start this weekend. Whilst there's some additional goodies that will find their way in to the builds, the main goal is to have some relatively simple sanity builds with the focus being on the paintwork and weathering rather than being crammed with every detail imaginable.

1_zps35e155c7.jpg

To prevent Troy from telling me off :P , I've started to sand the panels on the sides which should have the corrugated form right across the join. Only done one side of one kit so far using a round file. Wasn't brilliant, but hope to improve for the others. Wasn't a disaster either!

• Like 1

Made a bit of progress this weekend doing prep work. The Free French one will be a Mk.II with the slightly longer nose and a tropical filter under the nose, but has the 8 .303's rather than 20mm cannon.

The fabric effect has now been corrected on the panels below the canopy as best I can. Some filler work is needed to remove sink marks and blend the bits that need to be stuck into the wing leading edges. Open to other fixes that are relatively easy to tackle if you can point them out.

2_zps65f7e669.jpg

3_zpsf0c4022c.jpg

5_zpsa6c288a8.jpg

4_zpsc55efb84.jpg

Cheers

• Like 6

progress has been a bit slow, but got the Mk.II together so far. Been distracted by a Triceratops too with my son, the 1/35 Tamiya one he bought with his pocket money to go with his TRex!

10_zpsbf81a8c8.jpg

9_zpsc6a1010e.jpg

So far, please with the kits, although getting that rear join sorted where the lower wing meets the rear fuselage is beyond me, just done the best I can. The square panels to the rear of the landing lights need sanding off yet, need to bring the Mk.I up to this point first.

6_zps1193ef57.jpg

7_zpsa9229dd0.jpg

8_zps3683b7ea.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not got much modelling done recently, but following the thread in the WWII section, started to paint these. There's some mods to do to panel lines after correspondence with Troy, I'll get them done before the camo goes on. It looks like the Mk.I should have a ring site too, not the one that comes with the kit.

Mk.I:

11_zps7187b836.jpg

12_zpsaa26f6fb.jpg

13_zpsc09d0f01.jpg

Mk.II

14_zpsd1529782.jpg

15_zps5a2c64b3.jpg

Got an Airfix prop from Troy, here it is next to the Hase Rotal unit:

16_zpsf2be2f47.jpg

17_zpsec4a2bd7.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Neil

Looking good. One point, I think you have left the little tropical vents on the Romanian plane, which need to be removed.

If this gobbledegook for anyone... here's a pic, the two little black lines directly below the pilots right foot, are vents to help cooling on tropical aircraft, and are not seen until 1941.

They are on the Hase kit as is uses one generic fuselage sprue.

terryprendergasthurricaneburma.jpg

My name has been mentioned, the reason is Neil asked about Romanian colours in the WWII section

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956047-romanian-hurricane-underside-colours/

And this led to various other discussions, including spinner types, which ended up with me sending Neil a spinner and blades.

cheers

T

PS couldn't find any pics of the Free French MkII option.

found some MkI pics

hurric18.jpg

http://scalemodel.forumactif.org/t514-blackhawk-hurricane-mki-ii-trop-croix-de-lorraine

bit of background here

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7101-7200/gal7133-Hurricane-Beauvais/00.shtm

The FAFL (Free France Air Force) regiment Alsace went to Egypt in 1942 and was equipped with Hurricane Mk I in English colors, awaiting for Mk II. Those aircraft arrived in August 1942 and were send back to the 417 squadron on September the 6th.

Aircraft Z4615 was dedicated to high altitude interception and was equipped with only 4 machine guns.

no idea if correct.

another mkI, the box art plane

0354-Hawker+Hurricane+Mk.I+Trop..jpg

Cheers guys.

Troy, I Ieft the little vents on to check you was paying attention :blush:

Next step will be to spray the tail markings on rather than using decals, then there are some minor fuselage mods to take care of under the watchful eye of my uncle Troy!

That Free French Mk.I (not the bottom one) looks to have a three tone camouflage which is unusual ?????

Next step will be to spray the tail markings on rather than using decals, then there are some minor fuselage mods to take care of under the watchful eye of my uncle Troy!

That Free French Mk.I (not the bottom one) looks to have a three tone camouflage which is unusual ?????

wow Neil

those rudder stripes look great.

The apparent 3 tone camouflage on the FF plane looks like an artistic overpaint of previous RAF markings with fresh Dark Earth, note they are also seen on the other photo, note fin and pyramid shape on fuselage.

The only fuselage work I can see some careful filing of the infamous 'join line in middle of fabric panel'

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/images/hurricane_mk1_l1592_23_of_26.jpg

But does mean a respray after so may be too much bother

cheers

T

That Troy is a bit of a problem, isn't he? :winkgrin: Glad to get tipped off about those little vents- I'd passively noticed them yesterday, on a Warbird and on the kit, but hadn't gotten as far as looking to see when they were/weren't there. Good timing! Another thing to add to the "Hurris aren't as dead obvious as you think" list. I do like that underside with black, white, silver, and a splash of colour. I shall be monitoring this one...

bob

p.s. One potentially dangerous "innocent" question: is your subject Mk.II supposed to be a IIA (8-gun) or IIB (12 gun)?

Edited by gingerbob

Hi Neil

another mkI, the box art plane

0354-Hawker+Hurricane+Mk.I+Trop..jpg

Compare the shade of the cross with the rudder stripes, should be blue not red IMO.

A mistake that is often repeated ...

Here is only one color photo that clearly has the cross in blue:

01172.jpg

Edited by occa

I like the pre-shaded black undersurface Neil, who'd have thought that that would work.

Look forward to seeing these both finished,

Cheers

John

Cheers guys.

Troy, the vents are now off and I've replaced the engraved panel line behind the cockpit with a strip of solar trim as you mentioned some time ago. The join under the fuselage beat me, I did what I could, so it will just have to stay. Fortunately it isn't on top!

Occa, that's news to me about the crosses. If correct, I could always overpaint the decals with a fine brush, fairly basic shapes to cover.

John, that was post shading mate. Never really got the hang of pre-shading. Just added some dark earth / white to the base colour to lighten some areas but then redid the panel lines with the base colour because I'd gone too far!

Same with the white, I added a spot of black to the white to break it up a bit, just doesn't come out well in the picture.

All masked up now but run out of paint, so awaiting a parcel :)

Cheers

Woody I wouldn't call it impossible that some were actually painted red but if you build that Hurri in the photo I quoted the shades of the rudder stripe certainly suggest it was blue and not red which appears much darker on that film material.

Cheers

Martin

Cracking work there Neil. The Romanian machine is certainly a colourful bird but both are unusual and charming choices.