NZ Armour, QA Squadron Matilda and Valentine

IanW

• 1 month later...

Sigh... after waiting over 6 weeks for the new AFV Club Valentine III (with Rota-trailor) to turn up, it arrived... unfortunately, it only comes with one set of wheels and these are the plain (dish) versions, not the 'dimpled' wheels I had been hoping for to replace the very early 'spoked' ones.

Not sure what to do now - has anyone tried fitting the Accurate Armour dished wheels to their Vally?

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by IanW

Hi Ian,

Bummer! Would it be too much for them to give modellers a choice of wheels?

Thanks for saving me some money, though!

Kind regards,

Adam

Glad to be of service!

I heard from Derek at AA last night and he says his Vally dimpled wheels are the right size, so I'm going to buy a set and try those - I need to finish this kit! I'm not too upset about buying another AFV Club Vally, as now I can use the Miniart kit to build a CS Vally from the Pacific and this kit to build an NZ Vally from QA Sqn in the 1950s!

Cheers,

Ian

I heard from Derek at AA last night and he says his Vally dimpled wheels are the right size, so I'm going to buy a set and try those - I need to finish this kit! I'm not too upset about buying another AFV Club Vally, as now I can use the Miniart kit to build a CS Vally from the Pacific and this kit to build an NZ Vally from QA Sqn in the 1950s!

Cheers,

Ian

What's this, has someone made aftermarket roadwheels for the Valentine?!?

regards,

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my Accurate Armour "Early Valentine wheels" arrived yesterday. Here are a few pics of front and rear alongside the AFV Club wheels...

VallyWheels1_zps67e119ad.jpg

VallyWheels2_zps66dcccfe.jpg

When I first looked at them, I thought the larger AA wheels were a bit too small, but they are pretty much the same diameter as the AFV Club wheels... they do have, however, a thicker rubber part and this is more chamfered than AFV Clubs; this seems to give the illusion that they are smaller in diameter. However, when they are stood upright, they are the same height and scale out to just over 17mm - the full-size machine's were 17.4mm in 1/35, so I think they are pretty much spot-on.

As you can see, the mounting hole in the back is quite a bit bigger than the original wheels, so I'll have to have a think about how best to mount...

Cheers for now,

Ian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for the suggestion Adam - this I have now done!

I filled the holes with Milliput - I've never used this stuff before, but am beginning to love it...

It worked a treat for sculpting the new exhaust on my NZLAV! :) Still a lot of work to go on that though...

NZLAVExhaust1_zpsf7743785.jpg

Wheels1_zpsa8003a04.jpg

Anyway, then I made a small jig to try and centre the wheels using the hubs...

Wheels3_zps8cefa9ec.jpg

Set the drill depth after a test trial with one wheel...

Wheels2_zps218bc112.jpg

And the end result...

Wheels4_zpse40f77dd.jpg

Quite happy with how they turned out -learnt a bit too! Eg: make sure you have the depth nut VERY tight! :)

Well, no excuses for not getting on with the rest of the kit now!

Cheers for now,

Ian

Edited by IanW
  • Like 3

Hi Ian,

Glad that worked out.

As for excuses, I am always able to come up with them! :-)

Kind regards,

Adam

• 2 months later...

Well finally a bit of an update! I've finally got my QAMR Vally almost complete - just needs things like aerials, etc adding and weathering.

I've got the Vally to the pre-weathering stage, like the Matilda. I still haven't decided on the exact diorama I want to place them in, but think it will be summer 1942-43 in New Zealand... the vehicles are both from C Squadron HQ of Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles, hence the WO in the Vally and the officers in the Matilda. Might have them both laagering up, with maybe an Indian motorcycle or similar along too.

Vally1_zps9c8c02d5.jpg

Vally2_zps55705bb9.jpg

Vally3_zpsa693fab5.jpg

Vally4_zps56a63fd9.jpg

Vally5_zps5286e469.jpg

The Matilda and the Valentine side-by side... the Matilda is finished in SCC2 and the Vally in Khaki Green No.3 using Mike Starmer's mixes for Vallejo paints.

VallyMatilda_zps16e5d5bd.jpg

And all 3 Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles (QAMR) vehicles I have completed so far... amazed by how small the WWII tanks are, so noticeable alongside the Scorpion.

VallyMatildaScorpion_zpsa4f6f681.jpg

I really love the lines of the little Vally, fortunately as I have at least two more to complete - the kiwi-modified FS Vally used in the Pacific and a QA vehicle from the mid-1950s.

Cheers for now,

Ian

Edited by IanW
  • Like 4