Jaguar Mk II Saloon (Tamiya 1:24)

Chassis looking good, although I would think the brake discs would be shiny silver?

Not sure if you mentioned what colour it was going to be, did you decide yet.

Steve.

Hi,

I followed the painting guide but did think the same about the discs myself. However, I'll probably never remove the wheels once it's on the shelf ;)

Ours was Red so that's what I'm going to do. This is proving rather daunting as I've never glossed a car body before :confused: All tips welcome

Cheers

Change the plates, We'll get tooled up, And go on a blag.

look out Guv, Ees gotta shooter.

Like it.

:bobby:

yeah...nick 'im Danno...err have I got that right?

No ...book him George...that's it!...I think :hmmm:

BTW luv the Jag, didn't even know a kit of her existed, going to have to get one & do my first ever motor.'

• Like 1

The old Jaguar 'Cardinal red' was the same as Chrysler/Rootes Signal red.

You should be able to get either colour from Halfords custom colour mixing in a rattle can.

I'm going to have to get this kit. You're making a lovely job of it.

Roy.

Thank you Roy - appreciated.

Can I ask what you do with the aerosol paint - decant & airbrush or just spray direct?

Personally, I use a plastic primer, (Halfords)

Then thin coats from the rattle can.

Well shaken & warmed first though.

(Stand the can in hot, NOT boiling water for 5 minutes)

Avoid dust on the body before spraying (tack rags)

Bend a coat hanger to support the body.

Spray, then put the body under a plastic box or something to dry.

If you need to rub it down, A very soft cloth & toothpaste used gently.

This should bring out a nice shine.

P.S. Be patient and let the paint harden first.

A couple of weeks is good.

And, It is so easy to rub through the topcoat.

Lightly does it.

Edited by Pete in Riyadh
  • Like 1

Personally, I use a plastic primer, (Halfords)

Then thin coats from the rattle can.

Well shaken & warmed first though.

(Stand the can in hot, NOT boiling water for 5 minutes)

Avoid dust on the body before spraying (tack rags)

Bend a coat hanger to support the body.

Spray, then put the body under a plastic box or something to dry.

If you need to rub it down, A very soft cloth & toothpaste used gently.

This should bring out a nice shine.

Thanks Pete. Toothpaste?? Not heard that one before. Top Tip! Cheers :)

I've made a start on the dash but it's proving slow work. Whilst the decals are coming off the backing sheet cleanly, they have 'lost' their glue and are oversize. The dials in particular have have been a challenge but a night with Sol then a dab of 'Future' and they don't look to bad. The camera is very critical but in the car and under the human eye I think they'll be quite presentable - fingers crossed! Here's how it looks so far (though the light is obstructing the smaller dials - reflecting on the Future).

IMG_2345_zps2a947275.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99

Nice one,

That row of blobs under the small dials should be toggle switches.

I still have some in the garage at home.

They should be chrome with a black plastic toggle sticking out.

Drill, insert soft wire or stretched sprue & flatten it out a bit with smooth pliers. Paint black.

The circular piece is the key hole (silver) and the big blob next to it the starter button (black)

The radio knobs may be silver, And the dial white.

The 'nipple' between the dials was a knurled knob (chrome) to access the rear of that panel for fuses.

All this from memory but check in a classic car mag to be sure.

• Like 2

Nice one,

That row of blobs under the small dials should be toggle switches.

I still have some in the garage at home.

They should be chrome with a black plastic toggle sticking out.

Drill, insert soft wire or stretched sprue & flatten it out a bit with smooth pliers. Paint black.

The circular piece is the key hole (silver) and the big blob next to it the starter button (black)

The radio knobs may be silver, And the dial white.

The 'nipple' between the dials was a knurled knob (chrome) to access the rear of that panel for fuses.

All this from memory but check in a classic car mag to be sure.

Thanks Pete. I did think the detail could be lost when fitted but may be worth a bash. Decisions Decisions! :hmmm:

Edited by wimbledon99

Here's the progress to date. The decals are (as previously stated) giving me a real headache but once complete, the build should become a tad easier. Need to add a little more chrome to bring out the buttons then it's the door panels next.

Cheers

IMG_2371_zps5462345f.jpg

Fast forward a tad and the decals are complete (as is the interior). I've opted out of more detail as I had a trial fit of the body and it's obvious a lot of work would be lost.

IMG_2426_zpsff12cbd6.jpg

Just the body to go now. If anyone has any tips on the best way to paint the silver window trims I'd be most grateful. Not sure whether to do the main body colour first. Either way what's the best / easiest way to mask what?

Cheers

OK - Found BMF with the power of Google. Thanks for the heads up :) Located some on a model shop site and will order.

Whilst on the subject of chrome, here's the other sprue stripped. This took just a few minutes (unlike the wheels). Don't know why the difference!!

IMG_2427_zpsa4e1e144.jpg

BMF - Bare-Metal-Foil.

Great stuff. Easy to use and looks brilliant.

I've used it on umpteen projects in the past and even used it to cover the entire body on my McLaren Mp4/23 (?)

Love your Jag........

I now have one, courtesy of this forum and will start it sometime soon.

All your fault!

Great build.

Roy.

• Like 1

I butchered this model (unintentionally) several years ago. I found the curved body really hard to paint for some reason. The paint just didn't want to stick. I stripped it with Mr Muscle which left pitted indentations all over. It was beyond saving........These kits are now unobtainable (here in New Zealand anyway) but then again, modellers are very poorly served here downunder in terms of available kits. Anyway, this looks like a very nice build and I'm anxious to see the results of your efforts. The interior and engine look fabulous!

• Like 1

I thought I had this Alclad sussed but I'm not so sure now. It's a bit 'hit & miss' though does look a tad better in reality than it does in the photo. I'm going to go with it and hope the end result is OK. I have a couple of kits waiting in the wings so am keen to keep the momentum going.

IMG_2511_zps8b9e4e55.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99