Tamiya 1/72 F-16C Block 50 new Tool

Stephen

I know many will say "oh, not another boring grey jet...", but IMHO this is great news ! It's the first time Tamiya does a modern type in this scale. I hope this will not be the last.

Besides, the Revell kit is very nice, but I'm sure Tamiya will do something great here

• Like 1

Looking rather good. Judging from the sprues they are indeed tooling this with different versions in mind - separate front fuselage top and a multi part fin bodes well.

How long they'll take to actually release the different versions is another matter, though. They still haven't released a 1/48 two seater yet.

Mike. :hmmm:

Damn, I was hoping they announce 72nd Spitfires VIII, IX and XVI not some "hairdryer". Nontheless it's good that they still design 72nd. So now I have to wait another year or so. More Reisens to build.

I know many will say "oh, not another boring grey jet..."

Those that pipe up about a 'grey and boring jet' should take note of the range of 'aluminium and boring' WWII and Cold War subjects that are being churned out... :whistle:

I for one am both surprised and relieved that Tamiya will be releasing a 1/72nd scale F-16, music to my ears. Cross-kitting/detailing the overpriced and 'dressed up' Hasegawa kits will test me no more. Hopefully, in some time to come, we will finally have a super sharp, definitive 1/72 F-16C/D family... The images certainly hint as much.

As for price outside of the Asian market, who knows, I couldn't imagine it being more than the £18-£22 Academy kit though... The total cost of buying from Japan will more than likely save you a fair bit over EU prices anyhow. Hopefully this will be worth the wait...

(Edited for incredibly lazy spelling mistakes...)

Edited by LeVi Tophatter

It's new and it's Tamiya and it's 1/72 and i'm happy about it!

Revell's Viper is nice, but so was Hasegawa's 1/48 Viper. If it is anything close to their 1/32 and 1/48 Viper, it will be THE standard in Vipers in 1/72!

B-40/50... HAF, TuAF, USAF, RBAF, EAF iirc, B-50+ FACh, Oman, TuAF So as soon as a bit of resin comes out (or you "borrow" the Academy Viper's tail), you can build away!

Moulds have got 2-seater potential written all over them. Hubba Hubba

That is all.

So have the 1/48 and 1/32 scale version and the 1/72 scale P-47D bubbletop kits have been made to allow the later version, but all these have been out a long while, yet nothing has turned up :( but lets hope they all do eventually as Tamiya don't seem to rush these things - it was several years after the 1/72 release of the Corsair before the birdcage kit turned up.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

Tamiya don't seem to rush these things - it was several years after the 1/72 release of the Corsair before the birdcage kit turned up.

The converse side of this surprise release. It's been almost 7 years since the 1/48th scale F-16CJ was released and there is still no F-16D/DJ follow on, which suits Kinetic, Hasegawa, etc. just fine... I guess it's to be expected of such a large corporation, the RC range, domestic and regional markets come first, which is understandable.

This almost makes looking at those sprues as something of a tease! From the tooling logic, it appears that almost any F-16C variant could be catered for... Just means us lot will have to be quietly patient with Tamiya/resin people or indulge in a bit of 'kit-bashing'. ^_^

Lucky 1/72 guys. They get forgotten about usually.

I want the long awaited B and D versions though....... anyway - good luck to you mini modellers, glad you have the eyesight for it!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic... but 72nd is by far the most well serviced scale in modelling. You can find 99% of aircraft in the scale. Sure 1/48 gets much more marketing attention, but I think that has more to do with the fact that the scale is so over serviced by kits that people only tend to notice when a major manufacturer builds a 1/48 or 32 kit because they are of a mainstream subject. By comparison, most new 72nd kits tend to be of less noticeable subjects.

So for example a lot of interest is generated by thefact that Tamiya releases a releasing a new Corsair/Spitfire/Mustang in 32... however are already a dozen manufacturers making them in 72nd, which kinda gets obscured. Less than a year ago RS released a nice P-51H... I believe its the first one released in injection plastic. Sword has a nice range of Banshees coming out, and AZ is doing great stuff. Hasegawa has released a number of new kits in that realm: their recent and upcomings include the V-22, SU-35, F-35, Su-33, among others. How many 1/72 airfix kits have been released in recent history?

So its not under serviced or ignored. I actually think its the most plentiful areas for models today.

Edited by -Neu-