The Stirling Aircraft Project News

12jaguar

Following some positive feedback after I posted about our project on the Italeri Stirling thread, I thought it might be a good idea to post our latest news.

As this is my first post on the topic, The Stirling Aircraft Project is a UK registered Charity that is recreating the forward fuselage of a Short Stirling to commemorate the people who designed, built, flew and maintained the first of the RAF's 4 engined bombers.

As you may be aware there are no known confirmed survivors and our re-creation will use original material wherever possible.

The easiest way for me to relate the news will be to provide a short precis and a link to our website for pictures etc.

http://stirlingproject.co.uk/update-28114/ Our latest news is about the drawing up and modelling of the Bomb Aimers Escape Hatch

for archive news and photos you can see here: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?77197-Stirling-Project-Update

We can't promise to be the font of all knowledge but we we'll try and help modellers with requests for information wherever possible

regards

John

Good to hear from the Stirling Project again John :) I can remember badgering someone - could have been you - about the Stirling when I was wrestling with the Sanger kit some years back. They were more than helpful, but eventually that kit tested me once too often and it languishes on the top of one of the cupboards in the workshop now. Will it get finished? Who knows, but Neil - if you're reading this, nagging me about it every time you come over isn't going to speed the job up! :tease:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

A quick post to let you know about a donation of an autopilot gyro to the Project from our Colleagues at 57 Rescue in Canada. This is part of the autopilot which controls the Rudder and Aileron Flying control system. We still need a smaller one for the Elevator control system and one more servo unit; pics and further details here: http://stirlingproject.co.uk/donation-to-the-project/

John

• 1 month later...
Good to hear from the Stirling Project again John :) I can remember badgering someone - could have been you - about the Stirling when I was wrestling with the Sanger kit some years back. They were more than helpful, but eventually that kit tested me once too often and it languishes on the top of one of the cupboards in the workshop now. Will it get finished? Who knows, but Neil - if you're reading this, nagging me about it every time you come over isn't going to speed the job up!

It will fall on your head one day and teach you a lesson!!!!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Apologies for the lack of updates for a while. A major step forward for the Project has seen us take delivery of approx 300' of stringer material (which is about half of the final total of this type needed), this is with great thanks to Teversham Engineering Ltd in Cambridge especially David Allsopp and Steve Grantham) who have kindly formed the material provided by us free of charge. The remaining 300' plus 150' of 'z' profile stringer is currently being worked on by them.

Additionally, the Project is hoping to move into new premises in the next few weeks which will hopefully allow us to have some much needed stability, next step the laying down of the bomb bay jig

the following link takes you to the photos of the stringers

http://stirlingproject.co.uk/stirling-stringer-material/

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil

Lord Mackie has been ill for some time unfortunately, but his impact as Patron was still important and he will be missed.

The Chipmunk is on the back burner for the moment as we've been in temporary accomodation, although we will be moving into a new workshop this weekend. All being well we will be forging ahead with the Stirling; and when I get the chance the Chipmunk....

John

• 1 year later...

Just to let you know that the January 2017 edition of Flypast magazine has a lengthy article on the Stirling Aircraft Project penned by my good self and David Collins. Shows some of our latest progress and plans for the future although please note that they posted an earlier version of the article which states that we're doing the fuselage to Fr26 when in fact it should read Fr16

Hope you enjoy it

John

• Like 3

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:22 PM, 12jaguar said:

Just to let you know that the January 2017 edition of Flypast magazine has a lengthy article on the Stirling Aircraft Project penned by my good self and David Collins. Shows some of our latest progress and plans for the future although please note that they posted an earlier version of the article which states that we're doing the fuselage to Fr26 when in fact it should read Fr16

Hope you enjoy it

John

Oops! Sorry John, senior moment on my behalf... Glad it came out well though :clap2:

Chris

Aah is that Chris the Editor I take it :D

We're all very impressed with how the article came out and we hope that it continues to generate interest in what we're doing

cheers

John

Edited by 12jaguar

• 1 month later...