Trumpeter 1/72 Challenger 1 MBT (Nato version). - FINISHED

It's looking great. I must admit the two bit's of armour I've done and the three I'm doing at the moment have been fun builds. It's just a joy to experiment with the weathering, it is time consuming though. It only took three hours to build my T-35, but I've spent four days weathering it so far... :P

Edited by Speedman

Its definitely the painting/effects that take the time with armour - you end up with a totally different mindset from doing aircraft etc!

This is a good kit -let down by poor track to tub fitting - still, making a good fist of it...

Liking it with paint on. Agree that building armour is a different mindset from building aircraft. Yes some parts can be annoying like making loads of wheels etc but they are great fun overall and the weathering is totally different from A/C.

• Like 1

Here is todays update;

Washes and highlighting all done now, most detailing completed - ready for chipping and 'muckying' up - might even do a base for it as It's turning out to be a great kit to build and paint.

p1_zps14e72caa.jpg

p3_zps7672bc83.jpg

Pete

• Like 4

It was speedman - much, much better than solid black!

I did the Trumpy desertised Chally 2 for a friend so I know what cracking little kits these are. Yours is looking fabulous and I'm really looking forward to your 'muckying up'.

• Like 1

Well, today's update is notable for ...

...not having any photos!

I have started on a simple base for the challenger; with everything I already have in. I have created a small base with polyfilla, made some track marks with the tank ( put cling film down, then pressed treads on it for the tracks, that way no mess on tank tracks). Finally after about three hours I brushed some thinned down PVA all over the base to bind it all ( and in the darkness find it!!).

I would have done a lot more, but, there was ice hockey from Sochi on; nothing further has been done today :-)

Tank put to one side for now whilst I make a start on a simple base; and here is the bones of it so far...

thebase1_zps5729edb0.jpg

A quick update for today fellas and fellaesses!

Work going well on base - lots of highlighting, lowlighting and details done- couple of stones and twigs from that weird place called 'outside' have been used to tart it up a bit, some work on the stones and twigs left to do then back to the tank, (which has been dusted/muddied up already- chipping and scratching next, then a thin wash to blend it all together and viola - a completed setup (by the weekend hopefully))!

Apologies for the awful picture - indoor lighting...

thebase2_zpsbe1ea8a9.jpg

• Like 1

Thats a great build, Looks good all weathered up! Trumpeter have never got the gun barrel right on these 1/72 Challys, it should be the other way around. The long "Pad" on the rear Thermal sleeve should face downwards.

Not your fault though!!

• Like 1

Do you know, I have looked at so much reference material for this and I did not notice until you mentioned it Widow!! It's a good kit apart from the tub to track fitting - just hope I don't blow it when all the weathering is completed!!

Pete

Mine is from experience of crewing Challenger 1. Ive got a Trumpy Chally 1 too sat in my stash, think its the desert one though.

Just another "for reference" piece of info for you. This version you have so beautifully created is a post OP Granby version. Reason why is that the Jerry can holders were attached to the turret during the "up-armouring" phase of CR1on OP Granby.

It was never the same again after OP Granby with all sorts of weldings and bare metal attachment points once the add on armour was removed.

Ah, you were 'teeth arms' Widow!

I suppose they had to 'up armour' as they did not really know what capacity the Iraqi army would be able to field against them; better safe than sorry!

Weathering done on tank (no pic yet as being varnished a few times); I have added mud and dust effects (via Humbrol pigments), grime and something akin to salt streaks (using AK interactive effects), finally a bit of scratching with graphite pencil and some standard weathering with a sponge, and the edge of a graphite pencil to finish things off.

Hopefully I have not went too over the top this time;my weathering tends to be a bit much, a bit too often!

Once the varnish has dried (tomorrow - letting gloss coat dry, then putting satin down) I will be adding two aerials from stretched sprue and plopping it on the base ready for photographing...

...and talking of the base, here it is, all finished - a bit stylised but not too bad:

base-complete_zpsc1396269.jpg

• Like 2

Phew, finally finished, added aerials today from stretched sprue!

For once, I think I have actually 'under-weathered' a kit - wonders will never cease.

Here is a taster photo - the rest should be in the gallery in a few mins.

f5_zps3104dd48.jpg

Thanks for all your support peeps!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...