Tim's Brick - FINISHED

Joining you with this fine Airfix Buccaneer kit. Has languished in my stash since 6 Nov 1996.
I remember the day well, I'd just been awarded a by consent Residency Order for my son - who was two the day before. He's now 19!

Very short proceedings, giving me time to wander into a newsagents that was going south. . . and came out with this and the 48th Jaguar kit.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8105-tims-jaguar/
A worthy celebration!
BuccaneerBox002_zps01fcf098.jpg

Cost £9.99 - here are the before and after price tags. I usually keep receipts - but this was probably a credit-card tranaction. Is this the biggest bargain of the GB???
BuccaneerBox001_zps66544a73.jpg
There's quite a lot in my stash that fits less than a tenner - but this is the closest to the line.

And here are the parts - those resin slipper tanks were used on my FAA Bucc.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54280-tims-phoenix/
AA_Buccaneer004.jpg
Can't remember where the Etch set came from - but not being a fan, I won't have bought it, and might not use it.

Might not get going straight away - I've got a Vampire to complete.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

It's February first - so orff we go.
Well actually I painted these seats and cockpit during my previous Buccaneer build.
AirfixBuccaneerPreparation_zps947a8da3.j
The rest is left to do.
Probably won't really get going until my Vampire is completed - so in the meantime here's a reminder of my previous Buccaneer.
Airfix_BuccaneerS2DStbd.jpg
Airfix_BuccaneerS2DPort.jpg

• Like 1

Well mostly research so far.

I've painted the canopy white frame. Inside black insulation tape for edges, then Humbrol 33.

I'm acquiring pilot figures from Wanted column, as mine have been used.

NOW for the big news. I've found pictures of XX900 one of the kit options, overpainted in sand/rock scheme for Red Flag.

No extra markings so very doable from the kit - and loads more interesting.

Hoping to decal the cockpit tomorrow.

• Like 2

Looks like you can't bear to throw away the boxart as well! I also do cut out the ones I like and hang on to them, I've got delusions of framing each and every one of them and putting them up in my man-cave, but unfortunately the latter is not going to happen till the kids leave the roost in a few years' time :D

Looks like you can't bear to throw away the boxart as well! I also do cut out the ones I like and hang on to them, I've got delusions of framing each and every one of them and putting them up in my man-cave, but unfortunately the latter is not going to happen till the kids leave the roost in a few years' time :D

Nothing quite as artistic as that.

I keep my completed models in printer paper boxes like this:

AA_Phantoms_box.jpg

and stick the pictures on - to show what's inside each.

• Like 3

He he he - I've just watched that same kit go on Ebay for £38.50 plus £8.00 postage.
The next is waiting at £32.55. So glad I spent that 9.99 all those years ago.

Latest progress report.
Pilots painted up and installed on seats.
BuccaneerSeats_zps13250750.jpg
Tamiya masking tape straps is about the extent of my after market.

Not mentioned in instructions, but those seat plinths have to be removed if you install pilots in your Buccaneer.

and installed into the cockpit tub.
BuccaneerTub_zpsb6c101df.jpg

And now installed into the upper fuselage.
BuccaneerCockpit_zps149c488d.jpg
Buccaneer_Cockpit_zps41f8bc8e.jpg

• Like 2

He he he - I've just watched that same kit go on Ebay for £38.50 plus £8.00 postage.

The next is waiting at £32.55. So glad I spent that 9.99 all those years ago.

I paid £50 a couple of years ago for the double-boxing special ... they're not easily found this neck of the woods, and though I've read about the build challenges with this kit, I had to have it.

Of course, I'm sure Kittyhawk or Trumpeter will soon come up with an updated tooling, same as when I bought the Airfix Jaguars, Italeri Gripens and Revell Foxbats :)

Edited by EricP

Canopy and air-brakes now installed, and airbrushed grey this afternoon - is Spring on it's way B)

BuccaneerGrey004_zps2e850b90.jpgBuccaneerGrey002_zps60828432.jpg

It's currently in the airing cupboard drying properly.

BuccaneerGrey001_zps76c6de00.jpg

Another 48th Buccaneer (FAA this time) currently at the over a tenner price of 32.05 quid. I do like to remind myself - this kit was a bargain!

• Like 3

Well the FAA Bucc with resin cockpit went for £34.75 -
making mine for £9.99 a right bargain.

I've painted the camo pattern that was left when Desert camo wa applied.
BuccaneerGrreen001_zpsd82fcd74.jpg
These planes eroded thru the Desert camo on their leading edges - so I've done the green there as well.
BuccaneerGrreen002_zps21a83527.jpg
BUT the outer leading edges are metal - part of the boundary blower system.

• Like 2