RLM79...

aka1878

I'm currently in the process of painting up a Stuka B, and have painted the European splinter camo and am getting ready to lay the RLM79 over the top. The source I have been using for the colouring of the plane I'm doing, suggests that RLM 79 was a relatively light sand colour although the Vallejo model air paint I have of 79 is really quite orange. I'm quite used to seeing the 109 trop's in a more orange desert camo, but not the ju87's.

Can anybody let me know whether these two types wore the same shades of tan paintwork and if indeed they were more yellow than orange??

Not an easy one I know, but any help is appreciated - the stuka has been on the shelf too long!

Thanks

Andrew

At risk of being corrected, I believe Hu118, US Tan, is a decent match for RLM79, possibly more so the darker late version than the earlier. I'm guessing you're talking Vallejo Model Air here, in Model colour I have listed 70843 for the earlier one & 70874 for the later one.

Steve.

Early 79 was indeed a yellowish shade, and before better information became available it was often mistaken for one of the Italian Giallo Memetic(camouflage yellow) colours. Later 79 was more towards a nutbrown shade. Most of the model paint representations are aimed at the earlier shade, so I wouldn't have thought it too difficult to find something suitable - though I can't actually say which, sorry!

• 2 months later...

Graham, I haven't heard that before and although it makes sense, I'm not convinced it applied to all the Luftwaffe aircraft sent to North Africa, as some the aircraft, particular Stukas have a very rough and ready appearance which is at odds with camp applied back in Germany.

It also strikes me a convenient coincidence that shade applied matches an RA camp colour. Both the Luftwaffe and Heer were rushed into North Africa at very short notice.

Also worth bearing in mind that German armour was camouflaged in country due to the rush to get it into theatre.

Just my take.

Karl