HK Models 1/32nd scale B-17G

HK Models 1/32nd scale Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

This model represents ‘Skipper’; a Douglas-built B-17G 42-238129 assigned to the 367th Bomb Squadron, 306th Bomb Group, based at Thurleigh.

This aircraft was one of 234 built by Douglas that had both staggered waist gun positions as well as the factory-fitted Cheyenne tail turret, and were delivered in camouflage finish. This particular aircraft entered service on 25th February 1944, and was still on strength with the 306th on VE-Day. The replacement natural metal starboard stabiliser, fin centre-section, both elevators and tail turret were necessary after the bomber was rammed from behind in a taxiing accident at Thurleigh in November 1944. After repair, ‘Skipper’ went on to complete over 100 missions.

After hostilities ended, this veteran was transferred to the 398th BG at Nuthampsted on 28th May 1945, before flying back ‘across the pond’ in January 1945 where it resided at Kingman before succumbing to scrap man’s torch on 28th December of the same year.

This model has been built more or less out of the box, with only very minor additions. I made the small 'ice windows' on the pilots' windscreens from careful masking and Archer rivets. Aftermarket seat-belts came from Eduard, and a few additional details were added here and there from Evergreen strip where I felt them necessary, such as under the flightdeck floor. I used Eduard’s exterior set which provided some vents and grills omitted by HK, as well as more detailed fuel filler caps. I didn’t use any interior sets, as I felt that the kit parts were perfectly adequate when painted up, and Eduard have used ‘standard’ US interior green on components rather than ‘bronze green’ used on the B-17. I sprayed on the bomb group markings myself, and used the kit decals for the ‘stars and bars’ etc. The ‘Skipper’ name was printed for me, and I used KitWorld’s excellent stencil set. All paints were from Hannants’ Xtracolour range.

All in all a very straightforward and enjoyable build… although it’s an expensive model, if you’re a fan of the B-17 it’s a ‘must have’ kit. Was it worth the money? Roll on the B-17F version would be my answer to that!

S1030876.jpg

S1030873.jpg

S1030882.jpg

S1030949.jpg

S1030950.jpg

S1030938.jpg

S1030935.jpg

S1030925.jpg

S1030921.jpg

More detail pictures to follow...

• Like 13

WoW... would have been nice to see some indication of the size.

Here she is along with a 1/48th (left) and 1/72nd B-17 (right)

S1030836.jpg

Stunning build tom , think you need to put a few Picts of the interior I have been following this in WIP and people need to se the stunning work inside and outside. !

Thanks - and here's a link to my WIP for those who want to see a few interior shots:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948884-132nd-scale-hk-b-17g-very-nearly-there/

Tom

• Like 6

That's pretty huge. But you've shown fantastic control of the paintwork to represent such a great take on the camouflage. Also weathered to just the right degree to my eye.

One of the great models on this site certainly in recent months. :clap2:

Al

• Like 1

Magnificent.

Seeing this superb build finished I really don't get the negativity surrounding this kit. It looks awesome in the photos, I can't imagine what it must look like up close at nearly a metre wingspan.

First of all a big THANK YOU for sharing all those juicy pics of progressive build with us!

Very helpfull!

The Skipper is a very interesting fort but somehow I think that your model is too clean, uniform and tidy. At least according to color photos of the real thing. On such a big model I think that you should spend more time making the weathered OD/NG cammouflage more interesting.

Josip

• Like 1