McLaren F1

All the panel lines got rescribed where necessary and everything still fits nicely. I'm still surprised how little problems there was to fit these resin parts.

F1_67.jpg

I then built up the photo etched air outlet for the rear end top. Quite fiddly but it looks good. But once finished I noted something not quite right. The horizontal part at the rear, which is for gluing it inside the body, is far too close up, leaving little opening. It can't fit accurately.

F1_68.jpg

I left that to harden up and built the rear grille which was even more fiddly. I put some tape to a flat piece of steel to get a good working surface I could stick the parts to.

F1_69.jpg

And before too long all the parts where installed and left to let the CA-glue fully cure.

F1_70.jpg

As I suspected that last piece of the air outlet was visible it the hole and needed to be cut off. I thought the whole construction would break up doing that, but to my surprise the offending piece snapped off with no damage at all.

F1_71.jpg

And here it is finally test fitted.

F1_72.jpg

Then I had to test fit all the parts for the rear opening, which was quite a balancing act. Nothing is perfectly aligned in the picture, but I now know it will possible to get everything right when the day comes.

F1_73.jpg

I can now turn my attention to the exhaust system and mesh covering it. I will use the resin exhaust chamber, scratched outlets placed according to Fujimi's part and the photo etch mesh made for the Fujimi exhaust, but cut down in depth. As every part will be modified it will also give me the opportunity to rebuild the rear diffuser which is not prominent enough as it is.

I started by selecting some tubing which will make the four new outlets. Fitting one inside the other gives me this look, which I hope be good enough.

F1_74.jpg

I then decided to adapt the photo etch to know where things would have to line up. It's much too deep, so I cut off a section to give it more accurate proportions.

F1_75.jpg

Then I ran out of luck, a bit. Despite my rather extensive scrap boxes with photo etched parts and frames, I could not find a strip that was both long, thin and narrow enough. I had to try to cut off the original bottom strip without making it all a curved mess.

F1_76.jpg

Thankfully that worked better then I dared hope. I tacked it in place with tiny amounts of CA under my magnifier lamp. I'm slowly learning to work under it.

F1_77.jpg

I could then glue it better from the behind and clean up the bottom slightly.

F1_78.jpg

This is roughly what I want, and with some small amount of resin removed at the bottom corners there's now more room for the diffuser to raise upwards and come backwards.

F1_79.jpg

I then cut off the exhaust outlets and cleaned up the surface. The cut-offs of course to go in the scrap box dedicated for this size/type of parts. No waste, quite like Nigel would do it.

F1_80.jpg

I then sacrificed the Fujimi part to get a template for the outlet positions. I drilled through the outlets and cut off all excess material. Then they could be clamped together guided by two tight fitting pins.

F1_81.jpg

This was easier thought out than actually done, but slowly making the holes larger resulted in this.

F1_82.jpg

Again nothing is perfectly aligned here, but the test fitting suggests I will be able to position the new outlets correctly when all is to be assembled. In theory at least...

F1_83.jpg

Thanks Colin, I'm glad you like it.

Today I set about doing the new rear diffuser. I removed all detail from the original one, sanded smooth and then added some plastic strips at the rear to match up to the body. A little filler was required in the end.

F1_84.jpg

Then I made new vanes in different thickness for the inner and outer ones and positioned them to match the body rear end and finally cut and sanded them to shape.

F1_85.jpg

This is how it looks once finished. The difference is quite large, and again much more like I see it in my references.

F1_86.jpg

F1_87.jpg

F1_88.jpg

To my great surprise I still haven't managed to break off the mirrors...

F1_89.jpg

Here is another of those pictures with wobbly rigged parts, but I'm just ensuring it should be possible to align everything when it's time for final installation.

F1_90.jpg

• Like 2

I have never been much of a fan of these insane-number-of-part-piece photo etched brake discs... At first I planned on using Fujimi's original discs, they are quite good. As I have looked at the surface-percentage the brake discs take up of the photo etch my irritation has grown. Then I came to think that this time they might actually help the painted finish I want to achieve on my brakes for this project. I decided to give them a chance. So here is the ridiculous amount of parts supplied. And even then you still have to use a section from the original parts...

F1_91.jpg

The hub spiders are done and all the flat disc sections assembled. Two tight fitting pins were used in the guide holes which made it a bit easier. Then the circumference was attached, looks like a film roll. I have to say that the pieces went together remarkably well so far.

F1_92.jpg

The film rolls wrapped up very nicely. It seems that the maker have made the use of their CAD-system one has the right to expect. That's sadly not always the case with after market photo etch... The Fujimi parts separated easily to give the hub section to be used without damaging the discs, which can go into the scrap box for future use. I'm more positive now.

F1_93.jpg

We are now down to "only" four columns of parts...

F1_94.jpg

And with last parts glued together I must say that I like what I see. For a model displayed with the wheels removed it would be great. Mine is not though, but I still think it can work. The hub spiders will not be glued on now, to make my paint work easier. So that's a complicated way to make a set brake discs. Fujimi's one piece styrene part would still look very good inside the wheels if painted with care...

F1_95.jpg

Another half dumb thing is very thin photo etched frames for the head light covers and the door windows. They are to be fitted from the outside and there is nothing like it on the real car. All the clear parts are instead to be painted from the inside using Fujimi's supplied masks, which will look as it should. No use for these parts then.

F1_96.jpg

Except perhaps around the lower section of the door windows, where there is a thin framework on the outside. I cut out what I need, this can actually be useful, if I can fit them cleanly enough.

F1_97.jpg

With this I think all I have to modify and prepare regarding the exterior of the car before any painting can start is done. I should now be able to concentrate on the resin engine and exhaust, which might be interesting.

Geez Jorgen - that's some damn find PE work there! This'll be the benchmark for future F1's to come for a long time I reckon.

I had no idea there was even a resin set available for this kit. Guess you learn something new every day.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the kind words. It's been two quiet weeks for the F1 as I've been more concentrated on the Wright Flyer, but today has seen more progress.

I made a start on the engine, cleaning up the main parts. They are very nicely executed and truth is that I probably wouldn't even need the front section parts as I'm building this one all closed up. It is however a bit odd that we get a very nicely detailed engine and exhaust system in the resin set, but no transmission. I find that a strange approach. Admittedly not much is seen of the transmission under the exhaust system, even less in my closed up model, but anyway.

F1_98.jpg

I glued the main parts together to be able to do some dry fitting in the car. I'm keeping the valve covers separate so I can paint them black and sand/scrape back the photo etched text and stripes more easily, as well as the large air intake chambers that will largely be carbon fibre.

F1_99.jpg

The engine will quickly disappear to a large extent in here, but I hope it will look good under the rear windows and through all the air vents and outlets with a lot of gold and reflective foil added around it and the exhaust system...

F1_100.jpg

That's actually a hundred pics right there of not coming further that this...

The front of the engine was assembled so I can start building the structure that will surround it. I also made the coolant lines from solder wire. They are a very sharp blue colour and a hint of them might be visible down deep.

F1_101.jpg

I had to make some definitive locating points for the engine so I can work on the surrounding structure and the exhaust system knowing that it will all fit later on. I cut two square pieces to a precise fit into the bottom frames, added a good drop of glue to each, then put the engine with the squares in place and dry fitted everything around to align the engine properly. When the glue had dried the engine was removed leaving the squares glued in place.

I can now continue from a defined position. First I made a wall in front. I only need to create some basic surrounds to cover in foil to get the right look.

F1_102.jpg

Thanks a lot guys. The engine is a real beauty, I just hope the rear windows and all vents will show enough of it.

All the exhaust parts were cleaned up and test fitted as I need to determine the width of the engine bay to be built. So far the fit is impressive for this kind of parts. I will probably need to scratch build the top section of the gearbox closest to the engine, nothing else will be seen from anywhere.

F1_103.jpg

38 mm should give enough clearance and still place the side walls reasonably like the reference pictures suggest.

F1_104.jpg

So I built the walls and top sections from 0,5 mm sheet plastic. They still need some final sanding .

F1_105.jpg

Here is what it will look like with the top section in place. Next I need to build that transmission top, the fuel filler pipes and one or two small details that will go on the side walls.

F1_106.jpg

I also suspect I have to invent some way to transfer the mounting points for the large rear exhaust chamber from the body to the chassis, while maintaining its exact location relative to the body. Otherwise I can't figure out how to assemble the exhaust system as the engine covers are closed.

• Like 1

Hi Jorgen,

I've just come across this build and I'm sitting here amazed at your attention to detail !

Your ability to create the corrections takes this to an art form.

Congratulations on a superb build

Cheers Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for your kind words guys. It makes me happy if you are happy when following those links, that's after all why they are there, and why we are at this forum.

I must get back to this one soon, I want to start painting and I need to start work on the base...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That engine looks the biz Jorgen, I do like the F1 as a Super car. I saw the new one at recent local hillclimb, not as good a looking car in my opinion.

Colin

• Like 1