P-47D VVS winter camo (what-if)

Wolwe82

As i was deleting old photos from my mobile, i found few images on this P-47D. The only purpose for this kit was to test the mig´s "Absolute chipping" (thats why on the kit the chipping is not the same all around, i used diferent tools to test diferent results). As far as i know, none of the russian P-47D have been using the white winter camouflage and on top of that, i had some rocket racks from il-2 left, so i thought lets have a bit of fun.

So the "what-if" for this P-47D : russian pilots generaly didnt like to use the jugs for dogfights (they were used to their own more agile fighters) but they had nice results using them as ground/naval target attackers. But because the bombs were often not enough, there was idea to test RS-82/132 rockets on the bolts. So on few aircrafts were experimentaly mounted the racks for these rockets and then the rockets were succesfuly used in combat. And because russian navy pilots liked the P-47s a lot for their though construction and survivability, they were using the jugs all the time, applying winter camo as well (which was than worn out a lot bcs of the heavy use of the aircrafts ).

So this thunderbolt should be one of these heavily used aircafts. But bcs it was delivered to the unit not too far before the winter, the worn out started to show off mainly on the winter camo, not on the base coat yet :)

Here are few pics, once again the camo is totaly what-if and has no real life background :)

Fotografie_0057.jpg

Fotografie_0058.jpg

Fotografie_0050.jpg

Fotografie_0053.jpg

Fotografie_0054.jpg

Fotografie_0060.jpg

• Like 10

thanks guys :) but its just quickie build almost purely OOB :) maybe the most basic what-if on this is, what if someone wanted to get inside? the academy kit kinda punish you in this if you blindly follow instructions.. :)

• 4 months later...

I've enjoyed seeing all of your builds Wolwe, and this one looks great in its well worn what-if snow camo scheme.

One of my favorite P-47 quotes is from Soviet test pilot Mark Gallai:

"The P-47 Thunderbolt is not a fighter. It is bigger than our standard frontal bomber and has a longer range. It carries more bombs and is more heavily armed." Soviet Lend Lease Fighter Aces, p.81

• Like 2

Thanks cookenbacher, it was built mainly to test chipping fluids :) and what-if category is best for relaxing :)

ye, the soviet pilots did not like the P-47s as fighters, because they could not use the thunderbolts advantages.. But they used them as ground attack planes and enjoyed their durability :)

• Like 1

that's very nice, well done and the finish is great!!

I have read quite a bit about Mig's paints and would love to give them a try....will have to keep a lookout for them.....online as or hobby shops in Sydney are hopeless!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...