2011 Tiger Meet Tornado

Had to take a bit of time off due to work, so to get back into the swing of things picked up a couple of 1/44 Revell Tornado Tiger Meet kits. Now, normally, I do WWII aircraft and in scales of 1/48 and higher. So this is a bit out of my comfort zone. But there is something a bit appealing about these kits. After I built this one and am almost finished with a second type, I am hooked on tiger meet aircraft. So now I have a 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 kit in the stash. I can see the appeal of these kits. It takes very little time to finish them, the build was not difficult, you get a pretty nice little aircraft and storage is no issue. However, does take a bit of an adjustment to get used to the minuscule bits and pieces. So here is my first attempt at this scale. I really enjoyed the kit. Most of the time was spent in the decals. I am amazed at the detail of them in this scale.

Here's the kit box and what it should look like as per the cover. The instructions, however, do not have the tail fin as blue. I went with the cover rather than the paint instructions.

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0625.jpg

DSCN0626.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

Messed up a bit on the windshield decals, still working on a solution for a fix.

DSCN0630.jpg

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

Put a tin of Humbrol for an idea of the size of this little gem.

DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

All comments and criticisms always welcome. Have fun modeling!

• Like 3

nicely done! I have exactly this kit in stash but cannt make myself to finish it, a bit scaed of the decas and its fit. Did you used some set/sol stuff for the decals to make it fit to all the bends?

The decals really behave quite well and fit nicely on a gloss surface. I use the Micro Set/Sol system and it seems to work very well. The only thing is a complete adjustment to how small some of them were. It's an easy kit to finish and the decals do go on quite well, but I would recommend doing it in sessions. I had to mark off which ones I had placed and study the instructions a bit as there are decals upon others.

Wow, that sure is tiny. Almost looks like you need to build it with tweezers.

Cheers,

Mike

It was quite an adjustment. The magnifying visor never came off and two sets of good quality tweezers are necessary. I do not know what I would have done without the tweezers that have a 45 degree bend to them. My fat fingers could not handle the parts at all.

To all above, thank you for the kind comments. Should have its companion in the same scale finished this weekend. I normally post a WIP build, but this kit is so simple to build doesn't seem hardly worth it. The actual build process can be done in a weekend. Most of the time is spent painting, waiting for it to dry and then decaling. It is great fun though.

• Like 2