Lybian MIG-23ML 1/48

j8kob_F

I'm new here at britmodeller and thought that sharing my build here would be a good idea to present myself. My plan is to build a Lybian MIG-23ML using the MF version from trumpeter. To dress it up I have some AM from Eduard and the Aires ML cockpit and master pitot tube. The decals are from Blackbird decals and the individual will be 7202. Hope you like it and feel free to comment to make me feel welcome :winkgrin: . Here is some pictures of what I have and what I’m aiming for.

ssb9.jpg

yost.jpg

And a picture of the real thing:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Libya---Air/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-23ML/1167950/L/&sid=ca905be3598b0a7755b7304bed243f34

Cheers :bye:

Jakob

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! What a great way to start off, I'll be watching.

One little point though, doesn't the ML have a different nose to the MF? Trumpeter did just release an ML. The Libyans also had MFs I think....

I will have to look into that, i dont think that Lybians had any MFs but i Think they used the MS version which i think is a MF with different electronics.

So a little update. I began working on the cockpit which began by removing the casting block of the main tub, I do this using sandpaper placed flat on the table.

h12b.jpg

I also removed the detail from the sidewalls to prepare them for some Eduard PE

7c18.jpg

guhr.jpg

I also had the time to paint the cockpit using a mix of Gunze colors, the color is a little darker and richer in reality.

emkx.jpg

s3p6.jpg

Jakob

First of thanks to everyone for your encouragements and especially Phil for helping my with some very useful reference. The cockpit is a mix of aires resin and Eduard pre painted PE. For once the aires cockpit wasn’t great, the detail is good but the casting was rather rough so I had to smooth that out some and repaint it. Here are some pictures of the current state:

vtio.jpg
6duo.jpg
vnwa.jpg
olxr.jpg

Jakob

• Like 1

Thanks Phil, Tom and Val! I bet the Neomega pit is awsome, i have their Viggen cockpit and it looks fantastic. I i'm really feeling tempted to by their

UB conversion and then build me a Mig-23UB. I've started work on the Wheel wells. The rear wheel wells are Eduard Brassin parts
and they are truly a work of art. The front one is the trumpeter parts with Eduard PE.
Some odd bits and pieces included in the brassin kit:
wqq8.png
The wheel wells together:
s8u8.png
t0k5.png
Painted them black for shading:
18lm.png
Painted H308 as recomended by Eduard:
imuv.png
sl32.png
dsce.png
ep6o.png

Cheers

Jakob

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, Espantallo and Exdraken and Tom the wheel bays are from Eduard :D.

So here's another update. I've finished painting the wheel wells and they are now safely resting under dust covers until i add them to the fuselage. I used Vallejo paints, magnification, strong lighting, teeny-tiny paintbrushes and a lot of patience but I’m very pleased with the result. All the paints used were from the "traditional" Vallejo line with the exception of the silver which is from their "Air" line as I find the regular silver useless. Here are some pics and in the last picture the wheel well is accompanied by an edible flower that my sister makes.

f6ta.jpg
azoq.jpg
xqsi.jpg
zqy4.jpg
2a1u.jpg
7ay4.jpg
wbr6.jpg
4qxw.jpg
Cheers
Jakob
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So time for another update! I’ve continued work on my MIG-23 and the order of the day is the engine. It’s the Eduard Brassin one and as usual with Eduard’s products it’s super well detail and easy to work with and this also came with painting instructions which Is a huge help. Enjoy:

zyu3.jpg

l58m.jpg

ofem.jpg

j28d.jpg

0en6.jpg

r22y.jpg

1ln8.jpg

zl6a.jpg

Cheers

Jakob

• 3 months later...

Hi Jakob. Hows the build going? I've just caught up with your fantastic progress. Cockpit, Wheel Wells, Burner all looking superb.

We need updates!!! :-)

Cheers,

Tom.