Lynx Helicopter/ Revell Kit/ 1/32 scale

You are right that the RN cabs are generally kept pretty clean, but as Duane says they all had / have a plywood floor on top of the aircraft's "proper" floor in the rear cabin, just to protect it from boots, stores being chucked in and everything else. Those wooden floors frequently got pretty trashed over time, so heavier weathering on that bit wouldn't look out of place. I seem to remember the rear soundproofing got quite stained, too.

You are right that the RN cabs are generally kept pretty clean, but as Duane says they all had / have a plywood floor on top of the aircraft's "proper" floor in the rear cabin, just to protect it from boots, stores being chucked in and everything else. Those wooden floors frequently got pretty trashed over time, so heavier weathering on that bit wouldn't look out of place. I seem to remember the rear soundproofing got quite stained, too.

And think of the sound proofing as 'design feature' used to absorb all the leaking hydraulic fluid, gearbox oil and bizarrely; engine oil. Again relating to Lynx v Wildcat; if even a speck of fluid is seen anywhere on the aircraft, its a cause for alarm. Its a very dry aircraft. Lynx on the other hand would alarm you if you didnt see copious amounts of fluids all over the airframe. Another design feature from Westlands - a 'self lubricating tail boom' by way of 20 litres of engine oil sprayed over it.

Jens, with the collective amount of detailed photos we seem to have, I think anyone could blindly build a Lynx from scratch right down to the last rivet!

Oliver, you are doing to the Revell Lynx what AMG do to Mercedes, Overfinch did to Range Rovers and the reverse of what Westlands have done with everything they've produced since the mid 90s. Taking a good package and making it sublime.

• Like 1

Such a cool helo

Oliver

A very cool helo indeed. May I indulge the audience;

13766117935_c3549c499a_c.jpg

13766131843_ebb82033eb_c.jpg

First clip is from the 01 season with Ray Turner piloting the Lynx. And yes, that is a girl flying one of the Gazelles (And chewing bloody gum!) Julie Charlesworth nee Wiles (Alan Wiles daughter - former QARANC). For several years we did the display with 1x Lynx and 4x Gazelle. A good combination as the aggressive punchy Lynx display was balanced with the grace from the Gazelles. Top tech with the smoke too. We had a cluster of standard smoke grenades attached to the skids of each aircraft with a myriad of lanyards routing in to the cockpit with various ring pulls on each with time cues to pull each.

From the 07 season. With Barry 'BJ' Jones piloting the Lynx (he also attempted to fly an Autogyro (Global Eagle) solo around the world and currently runs GyroJet - an autonomous company designing a kickass Autogyro (modesty will allow me to announce I helped with the design and did all his CAD work and promotion ;) ) . The Eagles were now merely a singleton Lynx (defence cuts etc...). But BJ revitalised the display. He reintroduced the barrel roll and invented the loop-roll-loop and the 90 degree nose down with 180 turn. BJ would have a dream of what he could try and do with the Lynx then the next morning go to the Brass and pitch the idea. He really did push the design envelope of the Lynx. I do have few private vids of when it didnt go quite right and we just covered our eyes expecting to hear a large bang as he got it wrong. Not a great sight seeing a Lynx just fall out the sky after cocking up a new move for sure! A superb pilot with a very old school approach to pushing the limits! And to think he used to be an RCT driver......

I did the 2003-05 seasons with Ray as my mentor as well as driving the Bell Sioux with the Army Historic Team (despite what the Lynx could do, the Sioux was a massive challenge and a real Mans aircraft! Limited power all the time and a first gen helicopter where you had to really think about what you were doing - piston engine, manual throttle and hydraulics driven from the engine crank as opposed to the rotor gearbox. 'I learnt about flying' on one occasion when I went off to do so GH - general handling practice - one day over Salisbury Plain and conducted some Autorotation practices. I wound off the throttle too quickly which shut the engine down proper and discovered that the hyd ran from the engine - no hyd, no engine -very heavy controls. Luckily my rate of decent was very low (no idea how much cos it didnt have a R of D indicator) so had to restart the engine (magnetos OFF, prime engine, magnetos ON, hit start - engine fires over, wind throttle on cautiously, overshoot, gallantly return to Middle Wallop having lost about 3 stone through shitting and sweating....On return, re-read the manual properly! In my defence yer 'honour, I was current on four types at the time (three of them gas turbines with an auto goveronor so it was easy to overlook some of the elementary aspects of a 'simple' helicopter......

As a side note, we used to use 5 Lynx during the mid 80s -early 90s. To see five Lynx simultaneously back flip and loop was bonkers and awe-enspiring. (Black Cats take note with your rather bland 'Airtest' routine... ;-) )

• Like 7

Love the video. I could only watch the first one.....copyright logo came up for US market on the second one.....Oooopps!!!

I would pay high dollar for a Gazelle in 1/35 scale from any manufacturers, so sad noone makes one.

Oliver

I don't usually use this word but AWESOME.... Thanks for sharing those two videos Tony, you're a gent.

You'll have to stop it, I think you're spoiling us...

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Top dit re the Sioux on Salisbury Plain - during my first front line tour (Sea Kings - my Lynx conversion came later) I had a chance to do some GH and CALs (confined area landings) in a RNZAF Huey flying out of Singapore. I couldn't believe how unbalanced the controls were; cyclic light and responsive (flying with just your fingers, which was what I was used to) but the lever and the pedals incredibly heavy (like a Sea King with hydraulics failure). I was used to everything light or everything heavy, but trying to do both at the same time was horrendous!

Re the Black Cats and the nature of their display, there was much discussion in the 702 crew room about precisely that point, certainly in the 90s. It was decided that the Eagles display (especially the backwards arrival) looked great with 4 cabs, so rather than just trying to replicate it with just 2 and looking lame, they'd go for a different style. Leader in my era was an ex-Shark, too, so already pre-disposed to the graceful ballet school of formation helo displaying. Mike Abbey's solo Lynx display, however (which I flew with him at Farnborough) was exceedingly aggressive.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

even as a former 'black cats' grubber sup i have to admit ours looks tame compared to the mk7's routine though admitedly all i can think about is the amount of cracks i have found on 702 nas a/c that have been used for the displays so i hate to think whats holding the mk7's together, i do know the extra maintenance penalty for the eagles cab's is quite heavy ( PFN or penalty factor number so each roll or loop uses up more life/hours than standard ), but as i said really great to watch.

Edited by sticky847

That will be interesting:

Oliver and Lynx!!!

Finally!!!

Sorry for arriving late... I pretty sure you will do an amazing diorama but if you don't mind I would like to give you some explanations:

I believe you can't fit 6 man seat in that position what you are trying to do AND the "pulse receiver" AND "SGMS" boxes (those black boxes boxes behind the front seats). Well... at least in the Brazilina Lynxes because they don't have enough space and you can't attach the seat into the proper "holes". However you can fit the 6 MS transversely.

I've flown RN Lynxes for 2 years and I don't remember if they are so diferente from the Brazilian ones... but who knows? There are so many Mks...

A french one with the hoist in the position intended by Oliver:

Lynx_mk46.jpg

Brazilian Lynx with 6 MS fitted transversely (sorry mobile phone photo):

05102010085.jpg

Some visible wires under the IP (Brazilian Lynx):

05102010081.jpg

Hoist on the starboard side and M3M on port side:

Suer-Lynx-armado-MTR-580x301.jpg

Hope these pictures help you more than disturb you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos.

I am starting to believe that anything goes with the Lynx, I have seen so many versions lately. I do have a photo of the seat/bench fitted lenghtwise of the fuselage including the black box. My hoist will be fitted inside the cabin on the right side.

Thanks again for your info, I wasnt aware Brazil flew Lynxes.

Oliver

Here's a Brazilian Lynx Mk. 21A with the 6 man seat fitted as in LT Motta's pictures:

LynxMk21A_5541_800jj.jpg

There are a lot of different configurations for sure. However, most nations have their preferred configurations. For instance, we usually have the M3M (.50 cal) and FLIR fitted to the port side to allow use of the hoist in the (standard) starboard side. Our FLIR and M3M are mounted on the same pintle.

Jens

• Like 1

I've never seen that French winch position before; looks really odd to RN eyes! When did you do the 702 exchange, Motta? I took an RN HAS 3S to your base near Rio (cannot recall the name) in 1991, flying from Broadsword en route to the Falklands. Superb hospitality - and the only authorisation in my career with a maximum height specified rather than a minimum, because of the civil airfield in Rio. Not above 50' MSD, I seem to recall. Great fun!

Thanks for the photos.

I am starting to believe that anything goes with the Lynx, I have seen so many versions lately. I do have a photo of the seat/bench fitted lenghtwise of the fuselage including the black box. My hoist will be fitted inside the cabin on the right side.

Oliver

You are welcome! I'm just trying to help you with photos and infos.

Yes, Brazilians fly Lynx too. Here a Brazilian Lynx supporting an US Navy Boarding Team: (BTW I was the pilot)

800px-thumbnail.jpg

(US Navy photo)

Another recue hoist photo to help you with hydraulics hoses:

DSC05329_zps9a4885f4.jpg

(my personal archive photo)

Here's a Brazilian Lynx Mk. 21A with the 6 man seat fitted as in LT Motta's pictures:

LynxMk21A_5541_800jj.jpg

There are a lot of different configurations for sure. However, most nations have their preferred configurations. For instance, we usually have the M3M (.50 cal) and FLIR fitted to the port side to allow use of the hoist in the (standard) starboard side. Our FLIR and M3M are mounted on the same pintle.

Jens

Good photo to show the correct "attach points" for the 6-MS to the cabin floor, and the pulse receiver box. No one seats on that spot (no space for legs).

023_zps8902e99d.jpg

I've never seen that French winch position before; looks really odd to RN eyes! When did you do the 702 exchange, Motta? I took an RN HAS 3S to your base near Rio (cannot recall the name) in 1991, flying from Broadsword en route to the Falklands. Superb hospitality - and the only authorisation in my career with a maximum height specified rather than a minimum, because of the civil airfield in Rio. Not above 50' MSD, I seem to recall. Great fun!

From May/2011 to May/2013

Ben (Observer) and José "Whaaat" Motta (pilot) in 645 Cab (and M3M in detail):

ZecaLynx_zpsff19c22e.jpg

(photo credits to an unknown photographer from http://www.fox2.co.uk whom took a picture of me!)

Oliver sorry for any "off topic"

• Like 1

More pictures:

05102010089.jpg

05102010091.jpg

05102010088.jpg

05102010082.jpg

05102010087.jpg

The RHS and the central IP (the engine gauges) are pretty much the same on MK.3. The inter seat console is slightly different and the over head console is the same except the ECL - Engine Control Lever, because the British ones have a kind of "glove" over the start button (red button in the end of the lever)

05102010076.jpg

Edited by LT Motta

Dont worry about "off topic" anything related to the lynx is awesome. Love the cabin photos.

Any more photos of front nose going through maintenance....love the lack of avionics....Might do that.

Oliver

The South African Navy uses the French type of hoist anchor/support bracket but a new type/shape of hoist housing. I'll dig somethng out later to illustrate the point.

Colin

Thanks for the photos.

Oliver

I'll get these photos that you want and the hoist inside the cabin. :winkgrin:

Jose, do the Brazilian cabs always fly in that set-up, with a cyclic just to get nicely in the way of the Observer as he fiddles with his radar (used to be known as the "Quasimodo rig" in my era, because the Observer ends up with a hunch back trying not to nudge the cyclic)? Always calculated to make the RHS pilot twitch at night...\

And what's that screen and keyboard just to the right of the radar / left of the MASS and engine instruments? Particularly visible in the 4th pic down. (Bear in mind I last flew a Lynx - or, indeed, anything - in 1997, when the HMA8 was only just starting to come into service, so in Lynx equipment terms I am no doubt a complete dinosaur).

Jose, do the Brazilian cabs always fly in that set-up, with a cyclic just to get nicely in the way of the Observer as he fiddles with his radar (used to be known as the "Quasimodo rig" in my era, because the Observer ends up with a hunch back trying not to nudge the cyclic)? Always calculated to make the RHS pilot twitch at night...\

And what's that screen and keyboard just to the right of the radar / left of the MASS and engine instruments? Particularly visible in the 4th pic down. (Bear in mind I last flew a Lynx - or, indeed, anything - in 1997, when the HMA8 was only just starting to come into service, so in Lynx equipment terms I am no doubt a complete dinosaur).

It's keyboard/ interface to the radar.

It looks like a CDNU. As well as a 252 in place of TANS on fwd interseat? Jose, how 'integrated' is the Mk21A?

You are right... it's a RNS 252 Nav-computer.

About integration? Well... by this keyboard, the radar "can talk" to the RNS 252 and vice-versa. You can create ref. point, tactical bearing, classify contact on the radar screen using this keyboard on the right side then you can "export"this information to the RNS 252. On the RNS 252 you can creat waypoint, routes and "moving waypoints" (or contacts) and they will be show on the radar screen. Quite useful stuff...

About observers??? In Brazil we don't have observers, we do both jobs... just depends where are you seating!
But personally I prefer the British way.
Edited by LT Motta
  • Like 1