Lynx Helicopter/ Revell Kit/ 1/32 scale

Hi,

So back at it.

I was going to do a Skyraider crashed on an aircraft carrier but it appears I cant stay away from helos. My wife got me the Revell 1/32 scale Lynx Royal Navy version for my birthday with a bunch of photoetched from Eduard and a great Ref. book on the Lynx.

I am planning to do it on its side with broken blades and the tail rotor section torn away from the helo. The nose will be crumpled and bury in mud and the transmission will be sheared off from its mast, the avionics bay open and maybe a partial engine showing.

I doubt it will take 5 years to make but who knows at my speed.

Oliver

Edited by shark 64
  • Like 3

Hooray! Looking forward to this one too.

Oliver, I have an unhealthily large collection of photos of crashed Lynx if you need to look at the dynamics of what one looks like (and some of the common damage from a Lynx crash).

If you want to really do a Navy Lynx in 'kit form', my pal spanked-in in the Antarctic a few years ago and disassembled his HAS3 to quite a spectacular level.....(his legs were a bit odd for a few years but he's flying again).

• Like 1

Hooray! Looking forward to this one too.

Oliver, I have an unhealthily large collection of photos of crashed Lynx if you need to look at the dynamics of what one looks like (and some of the common damage from a Lynx crash).

If you want to really do a Navy Lynx in 'kit form', my pal spanked-in in the Antarctic a few years ago and disassembled his HAS3 to quite a spectacular level.....(his legs were a bit odd for a few years but he's flying again).

Hi

Thanks so much. Yes I am so interested in crashed Lynxs photos. Please post on this thread. Would a wheeled version carry the grey and green camo pattern?

Any photos would work since I still dont know how damaged I want to do the Lynx...I am sure your photos will help a lot.

Oliver

As far as I know Royal Navy Lynxes never wore anything other than blue (in the early years, up to c.1982) or grey (thereafter - dark sea grey until the late-80s, then the paler grey they still wear now. The only exceptions were HMS Endurance's 2, which had the dayglo red nose - I think that's one of the options in Revell's kit, IIRC. Lynx7's pal might well have been flying one of those, because not many others ever went anywhere near the Antarctic.

I have a long term plan to build the bomb damaged Lynx on Broadsword's flight deck in 1982 (a bomb bounced off the sea and went upwards through the flight deck, taking off the Lynx nose, in the same raids that sunk Coventry) - so I will be glued to this build! I used to fly the blooming things, but I'll lay you money I will learn stuff I never knew about my own aircraft from watching a master like yourself!

• Like 1

As far as I know Royal Navy Lynxes never wore anything other than blue (in the early years, up to c.1982) or grey (thereafter - dark sea grey until the late-80s, then the paler grey they still wear now. The only exceptions were HMS Endurance's 2, which had the dayglo red nose - I think that's one of the options in Revell's kit, IIRC. Lynx7's pal might well have been flying one of those, because not many others ever went anywhere near the Antarctic.

I have a long term plan to build the bomb damaged Lynx on Broadsword's flight deck in 1982 (a bomb bounced off the sea and went upwards through the flight deck, taking off the Lynx nose, in the same raids that sunk Coventry) - so I will be glued to this build! I used to fly the blooming things, but I'll lay you money I will learn stuff I never knew about my own aircraft from watching a master like yourself!

Hi

Thanks about the info on color ref. I worked on the base today. I carved out a hole in order to have the lynx fit on its side. I will probably lay down the first coat of ground work then wrap the fuselage in plastic wrap and work on the second coat of ground work and make an imprint of the fuselage in the ground.

Ill post photos as soon as photobucket has reset.

Oliver

having been on a course at the RN accident and investigation hanger at VL a few years ago it seems most lynx cabins stay together very well, the rotor head 'dog bones' just bend and dont tend to snap off( dog bone is the bit that rotates about the feathing hinge inboard of the blade cuff) and the tail will tend to fail just in front of the transportation joint.

• Like 1

having been on a course at the RN accident and investigation hanger at VL a few years ago it seems most lynx cabins stay together very well, the rotor head 'dog bones' just bend and dont tend to snap off( dog bone is the bit that rotates about the feathing hinge inboard of the blade cuff) and the tail will tend to fail just in front of the transportation joint.

Thanks for the info. If I do the main rotor thing it will be broken from the transmission...But I still need to see photos on that.

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I too will be watching this with keen interest.

Just had a quick look at the Lynx database and found this shot of the rotorhead of XZ243, so I thought I'd send you the link in case it's of any use to your investigations?

http://www.helis.com/database/cn/19592/

Regards

Reggie

Hi Reggie

Great photos. I did find that one on the net last night..Pretty damaged.

Oliver

To highlight Stickys remarks;

AH9 Oman

12055204115_0c929ab348_o.jpg

Crossmaglen NI

12055583334_6fa5867d04_z.jpg

Gortin Gap NI

12055941466_43267cb154_z.jpg

Gutersloh/Halle

12055085105_f09ca1c6bd_z.jpg

Leeming

12055368253_95742d488f_z.jpg

Armagh NI

12055069955_1e2039b4c3_z.jpg

Incredibly, no serious injuries from any of the above. Lynx do tend to burn rather well though.

Oliver, check your messages mate.

Edited by Lynx7
  • Like 1

...and the tail will tend to fail just in front of the transportation joint.

That is certainly true; a mate of mine had a tail rotor failure in a Mk3 - happily, he was in the hover in dispersal at the time, so just cut the throttles and slapped it down pronto. His cab failed at the transportation joint, having rolled on its side, but otherwise the damage was trivial.

Alas, most Lynx crashes that I know of were either trivial or fatal - like the Mombasa crash, when they opened the main door in flight (legally, in those days) to give some air to the pax in the back, and the door detached from the lower runner and flew up into the disk. Poor buggers had a lot too long to think about it as it fell; all killed, of course - totally non-survivable. On the other hand, when you consider the way we threw them around at low level (not to mention some of my controlled crash deck landings!), they have a superb safety record.

A great aircraft.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

That is certainly true; a mate of mine had a tail rotor failure in a Mk3 - happily, he was in the hover in dispersal at the time, so just cut the throttles and slapped it down pronto. His cab failed at the transportation joint, having rolled on its side, but otherwise the damage was trivial.

Alas, most Lynx crashes that I know of were either trivial or fatal - like the Mombasa crash, when they opened the main door in flight (legally, in those days) to give some air to the pax in the back, and the door detached from the lower runner and flew up into the disk. Poor buggers had a lot too long to think about it as it fell; all killed, of course - totally non-survivable. On the other hand, when you consider the way we threw them around at low level (not to mention some of my controlled crash deck landings!), they have a superb safety record.

A great aircraft.

the lynx used to be abused an awful lot till we had the rotor head problems,my first FLT CDR used to love pulling pitch with the harpoon engaged and then releasing it at a point he thought was ok but im sure the TQs were thru the roof, all so he could 'moon shot' off the deck straight up, drop the nose and then roll off to stbd and away, no way anyone would try that now! but for operating of a small deck it was/is great!

I have seen a photo on t'internet of a RN wheeled HAS2 in Army cam (Green/black) for covert use in Northern Ireland.

Apparently used for maritime patrol in conjunction with a pair of Ton Class Minehunters.

ppPrune has a page on Northern Ireland Helis but I haven't been able to 'link it'

XZ691 was the serial.

Cheers

Rex

Edited by emlra

the lynx used to be abused an awful lot till we had the rotor head problems,my first FLT CDR used to love pulling pitch with the harpoon engaged and then releasing it at a point he thought was ok but im sure the TQs were thru the roof, all so he could 'moon shot' off the deck straight up, drop the nose and then roll off to stbd and away, no way anyone would try that now! but for operating of a small deck it was/is great!

Never saw that one (my SMR would have been outside my cabin with the bent waisted pin from the deck harpoon within 5 minutes, and it never pays to piddle off your SMR!). I do remember being told during my conversion to only use the negative pitch setting when it was really needed, because it fatigued the head un-necessarily (for those who aren't Lynx-literate, the semi-rigid head means you can use the rotors to "push" the aircraft down on deck, thus holding it place in rough weather while lashings were being put on/off). There was some dimly-recalled post-engine change test routine where we used negative pitch to compress the oleos and raised torque without lift, but apart from that I think I only used it once or twice in c.2000 hours / 700 deck landings.

I have seen a photo on t'internet of a RN wheeled HAS2 in Army cam (Green/black) for covert use in Northern Ireland.

Apparently used for maritime patrol in conjunction with a pair of Ton Class Minehunters.

ppPrune has a page on Northern Ireland Helis but I haven't been able to 'link it'

XZ691 was the serial.

Cheers

Rex

I had a cabby as a 16 year old on one of the Maritime patrol's in 1989. It was a grey cab then but it had been the camo aircraft previously over there. I was home on leave seeing my old man from my first stint as a junior and he had it squared away through some of his work colleagues. Some great flying up and down the coast at low level for 2 days photographing the fishing boats and yachts. No one batted an eyelid at my distinct lack of age, I just sat in the back with an SLR and looked Ally! The scariest part was the briefing from the big scary bloke with the droopy bandito tasche handed me a browning and then took me up to Aldergrove and joined me on the flight. His matter of fact ways of discussing the anti ambush tactics and how he would hurt the nasty people was interesting!

• Like 1

Oliver,

Have I got 5 years spare?...Hell yes for one of your builds!!! Looking forward to it.

Try this video as well...Gives a good Idea how it breaks up....

Lynx Crash

Or a search on Google helps

Edited by Zone19

Never saw that one (my SMR would have been outside my cabin with the bent waisted pin from the deck harpoon within 5 minutes, and it never pays to piddle off your SMR!). I do remember being told during my conversion to only use the negative pitch setting when it was really needed, because it fatigued the head un-necessarily (for those who aren't Lynx-literate, the semi-rigid head means you can use the rotors to "push" the aircraft down on deck, thus holding it place in rough weather while lashings were being put on/off). There was some dimly-recalled post-engine change test routine where we used negative pitch to compress the oleos and raised torque without lift, but apart from that I think I only used it once or twice in c.2000 hours / 700 deck landings.

putting the cab into sub min to get the figures for tq matching before taking it up, the rotor head is forged and machined titanium which is why it takes a lot of abuse in an accident without breaking off,one of our mk7s in bosnia hit power lines( xz646) and crashed with only minor injuries,there was 23 turns of 1/2" wire wrapped around the head but still it stayed together long enough to get close to the ground before the cab hit telephone wires that dumped it on its tail!

putting the cab into sub min to get the figures for tq matching before taking it up, the rotor head is forged and machined titanium which is why it takes a lot of abuse in an accident without breaking off,one of our mk7s in bosnia hit power lines( xz646) and crashed with only minor injuries,there was 23 turns of 1/2" wire wrapped around the head but still it stayed together long enough to get close to the ground before the cab hit telephone wires that dumped it on its tail!

Of course - torque matching; I told you it was dimly remembered (it is 18 years since I flew one of these beasts!)

HAS2 in dashing green camo;

12072053405_4c3903db9d_c.jpg

Zone 19. Exactly what happens when you decide to do an impromptu 'display' when leaving an airshow, when not briefed, authorised or capable! Basic case of not leaving enough air between you and the ground......

• Like 1